Oriana World Cruise 09 - SE Asia leg

Just a very brief trip report on the SE Asia leg of this years Oriana World Cruise.

Wow, what a ship – absolutely beautiful.

It’s hard to say this but it’s a nicer and more comfortable ship than our good old Pacific Dawn.

The only trouble is its spoiled by the fact is so “British” – 7 formal nights between Brisbane and Singapore.

And I mean “formal”. It seemed they all tried to outdo each other with their toffy nosed clothes – some of the men even wearing formal kilts and jackets and even worse tartan trews, waistcoats and formal jackets.:eek:

Most of the Aussies on board [in lounge suits on formal nights] found it highly amusing.:p

The outright snobbery of some of the pommie passengers beggared belief, and we were amongst many Aussies who were longing for the laid back style of our own “Dawn & Sun”

The funny thing is they have nothing to be snobbish about – they lost their empire years ago.

Anyway, we never let it spoil an otherwise magnificent ship.

Excellent accommodation, bars and restaurants, with good [though a bit stodgy and repetitious “British”] food.

Entertainment was first class and very varied.

Officers and senior deck and engineering crew were all British [that was a plus] and the cabin, bar and restaurant staff were all Indian & Phillipino and were magnificent [as usual].

One of our main highlights was Rabaul and the active volcano Mt Tavurvur.

To see close up, the awe inspiring power of nature at work was a very humbling experience and one which will remain with us for many years.

[Got some piccies of it - see Picasa link http://picasaweb.google.com.au/Odyssey09/Rabaul ]

One of my personal highlights was seeing the LRAD deployed as we passed north of Luzon in the Phillipines – a known area for pirates.

Thankfully none were sighted and it did not have to be used. :D

Nice to know thay have it on board though.

dscf0320.jpg

dscf0319h.jpg

I’ll write a bit more when I get some time, but to summarise in brief:

Did we enjoy it? Yes, Yes, Yes.

Would we do it again? No – as good as it was to experience, the holiday experience offered by our own P&O Australia cruises is hard to beat.

Looking to book a Pacific Jewel cruise from Brisvegas some time soon.;)

Just a very brief trip report on the SE Asia leg of this years Oriana World Cruise.

It’s hard to say this but it’s a nicer and more comfortable ship than our good old Pacific Dawn.

The only trouble is its spoiled by the fact is so “British” – 7 formal nights between Brisbane and Singapore.

And I mean “formal”. It seemed they all tried to outdo each other with their toffy nosed clothes – some of the men even wearing formal kilts and jackets and even worse tartan trews, waistcoats and formal jackets.:eek:

Most of the Aussies on board [in lounge suits on formal nights] found it highly amusing.:p

The outright snobbery of some of the pommie passengers beggared belief, and we were amongst many Aussies who were longing for the laid back style of our own “Dawn & Sun”

The funny thing is they have nothing to be snobbish about – they lost their empire years ago.

Anyway, we never let it spoil an otherwise magnificent ship.

Excellent accommodation, bars and restaurants, with good [though a bit stodgy and repetitious “British”] food.

Entertainment was first class and very varied.

Officers and senior deck and engineering crew were all British [that was a plus] and the cabin, bar and restaurant staff were all Indian & Phillipino and were magnificent [as usual].

One of our main highlights was Rabaul and the active volcano Mt Tavurvur.

To see close up, the awe inspiring power of nature at work was a very humbling experience and one which will remain with us for many years.

[Got some piccies of it - see Picasa link http://picasaweb.google.com.au/Odyssey09/Rabaul ]

One of my personal highlights was seeing the LRAD deployed as we passed north of Luzon in the Phillipines – a known area for pirates.

Thankfully none were sighted and it did not have to be used. :D

Nice to know thay have it on board though.

dscf0320.jpg

dscf0319h.jpg

I’ll write a bit more when I get some time, but to summarise in brief:

Did we enjoy it? Yes, Yes, Yes.

Would we do it again? No – as good as it was to experience, the holiday experience offered by our own P&O Australia cruises is hard to beat.

Looking to book a Pacific Jewel cruise from Brisvegas some time soon.;)

hi rasa, we are going to Rabaul on the Dawn Princess in October and do you need any visa's or are they supplied by Princess

rkmw

hi rasa, we are going to Rabaul on the Dawn Princess in October and do you need any visa's or are they supplied by Princess

rkmw

Visas ARE required for Rabaul - even if you don't get off the ship.

P&O [uK] organised everyone's Visa for them on the Oriana and billed their shipboard account.

I would presume that Princess being another Carnival company would do the same - but I would check with my T/A or with Princess just in case.

I found viewing the volcano a humbling and awe inspiring experience - hope you do as well. :)

Sad that you do not understand other people's cultures, when you laugh at people is it a sign of being uncomfortable? A Scot would be deeply offended by your comments as there would be some ex soldiers proudly wearing the tartan on the ship.

In this day and age of sloppy dress it is nice to see people making the effort to dress up, we have traveled on P&O UK and never heard of seven formal nights in such a short space of time.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Here Here Downunder i agree wholeheartedly with you ..:D:D......I for one would much prefer to be onboard a ship full of so called toffs than ockers ...the art of traditional cruising is still very much alive and well....cheers from a very Scottish Shiona who is now running very fast for cover:eek::eek::p;)

Sad that you do not understand other people's cultures, when you laugh at people is it a sign of being uncomfortable? A Scot would be deeply offended by your comments as there would be some ex soldiers proudly wearing the tartan on the ship.

In this day and age of sloppy dress it is nice to see people making the effort to dress up, we have traveled on P&O UK and never heard of seven formal nights in such a short space of time.

Down-Unders, If you have nothing constructive to say about a person's topic then why bother commenting?

And as for knowing nothing about another persons culture, I would be more than willing to go head to head with you on world travel, living overseas and knowing and understadning foreign cultures.

With regard to British culture, I am one of these ex soldiers you refer to and spent over 5 years serving alongside British Army personnel in several overseas posting.

I know too well their culture thank you very much, their officers and the so called "higher classes" are overbearing snobs.

The ordinary Brit in the street is a nice bloke.

I am also 50% Scot and quite proud of it, but that doesn't mean I have to dress up like a tailors dummy to enjoy a night at dinner.

And BTW - ex military personnel are entitled to wear campaign miniature medals on formal occasions - nary a one in sight on the Oriana formal nights.

Just for your interest, I am entitled to wear 8 campaign medals and have probably dressed in formal wear on more occasions than you've had Roast Dinners.

I just don't see the relevance of it all on a sea cruise when you are on holidays

Thanks for your comments, I'll file them where they deserve to go.:)

I for one would much prefer to be onboard a ship full of so called toffs than ockers ...the art of traditional cruising is still very much alive and well

:)

Dear me Shiona,

It must be so awful for you.

Living here in Oz amongst all of us uncouth Ockers.:rolleyes:

Wouldn't you feel better going back to the old country???:p

I am also 50% Scot and quite proud of it, but that doesn't mean I have to dress up like a tailors dummy to enjoy a night at dinner.

I just don't see the relevance of it all on a sea cruise when you are on holidays

Thanks for your comments, I'll file them where they deserve to go.:)

In that respect you are right but in the same breath you have no right to poke fun at those who wish to cruise traditionally.....well done to the tartan crowd....what pride they must feel wearing it formal nights i bet they had and are still having a fabulous time.....lots of money and many titled people will be onboard...and they are great fun to cruise with if you spend the time getting to know them..........

Being a well travelled individual booking a P&O U.K cruise you would have had a very good idea of what type and class of cruising and what type of pax were going to be onboard.....its sad your deep dislike of "pommies" as you call them and the so called upperclass ....snobbery comes in many different forms .......perhaps its not just them.......

Maybe you are right the 3* Australian cruise market is the right place for you........now you can file these comments too....

You sad creature.

You sit on this forum just waiting to pounce on somebodys thread that you dont agree with.

It must be miserable just waiting for something to come along to criticise.

As I said to that other person - if you've not got something nice to say about someones topic - why not just shut your stupid mouth??

Have I ever jumped onto one of your threads with negative comments??

No.

But you and a few others round here spend quite a lot of their time just waiting to criticise.

Mods - please remove this topic.

Rasa Sayang,

With every additional response you seem to become more unpleasant and intolerant of other's views.

There is no doubt your initial comments were somewhat derogatory about all "Poms" (to use your term). and yet you do not seem to able to take what you happily give out - criticism.

I suggest it would be far wiser for you to move on and produce your full report minus the criticism of the way others choose to enjoy themselves.

Don

Rasa Sayang,

With every additional response you seem to become more unpleasant and intolerant of other's views.

There is no doubt your initial comments were somewhat derogatory about all "Poms" (to use your term). and yet you do not seem to able to take what you happily give out - criticism.

I suggest it would be far wiser for you to move on and produce your full report minus the criticism of the way others choose to enjoy themselves.

Don

I second that.

:):):):):)

In that respect you are right but in the same breath you have no right to poke fun at those who wish to cruise traditionally.....well done to the tartan crowd....what pride they must feel wearing it formal nights i bet they had and are still having a fabulous time.....lots of money and many titled people will be onboard...and they are great fun to cruise with if you spend the time getting to know them..........

Being a well travelled individual booking a P&O U.K cruise you would have had a very good idea of what type and class of cruising and what type of pax were going to be onboard.....its sad your deep dislike of "pommies" as you call them and the so called upperclass ....snobbery comes in many different forms .......perhaps its not just them.......

Maybe you are right the 3* Australian cruise market is the right place for you........now you can file these comments too....

:):):):):)

Can't seem to access your pics, Did you take any of the ship, because Oriana is currently my favourite, Glad you mostly had a good time, how were your ports of call, was the sea rough. how was the entertainment, We did pretty much the same cruise last year, not rabaul though, Singapore to Fremantle, sea up round Hong Kong, China, Taiwan was very rough. We had 6 formal nights between Singapore and Brisbane, I think it is the men who mostly complain about the dressing up, my husband always says oh no not a tie again, but it doesn't stop him wanting to go, or ordering a cream tuxedo made when we were in Singapore, time before last, as us ladies get away with anything dressing up is not a problem, good excuse to buy some more outfits, and of course the matching shoes and bags. The so called snobbishness of the brits was also a complain of some aussies on our cruise, did not find any myself, most of them are hardly the upper classes, and we have made some great friends on our cruises who we still correspond with even though they live on the otherside of the World.

Rasa Sayang,

I do not find anything wrong with people who want to dress formally or proudley display thier heritage: at the same time I do not feel people should have to "dress up" if they do not want to be part of one of the traditions of cruising. There are places on all ships one can go if you do not wish to adhere to the dress code. But please respect other peoples views and thier right to enjoy the cruise in thier own style, you must have realised what you could expect when you booked a cruise on this ship.

Happy cruising everyone

Chris

Hi Rasa Sayang

I really enjoyed your brief review and the pictures were wonderful.

I read the review the way it was meant to be read I think, in a light hearted tongue in cheek manner. I dont think you were meaning anything to be offensive, but then again there are others that can read whatever they want into things. As you said there are those that are just waiting to jump on others, and this thread appears to confirm that. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the review and the visual imagery that your descriptive writing helped convey. I dont think you were in any way lacking respect towards other cruisers.

Hope you enjoy many more cruises.

Hi Rasa Sayang

I really enjoyed your brief review and the pictures were wonderful.

I read the review the way it was meant to be read I think, in a light hearted tongue in cheek manner. I dont think you were meaning anything to be offensive, but then again there are others that can read whatever they want into things. As you said there are those that are just waiting to jump on others, and this thread appears to confirm that. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the review and the visual imagery that your descriptive writing helped convey. I dont think you were in any way lacking respect towards other cruisers.

Hope you enjoy many more cruises.

I couldnt have said that better myself docco! Enjoyable read dennis and glad u had a good time

Most of the Aussies on board [in lounge suits on formal nights] found it highly amusing......

What a pathetic post! You book a cruise on Oriana, a traditional British cruise ship with mostly British passengers, then have the gall to say it's spoiled because it's so 'British'. The fact is Rasa that most Brits choose Oriana because it's a formal ship. They enjoy dressing formally and most ladies love the idea of dressing up in a civilised manner. The fact that you seem to be offended by 'toffee nosed clothes' says much more about you than it does about them and I'm sure that many Australians would share that opinion. There are cruises for people who want to dress formally and there are cruises for people who don't. Perhaps you should bear this in mind before making such pathetic and derogatory remarks about your fellow passengers.

Archived