Extra Payments for On Board Account?

OverTheTop

Hi have paid off our September cruise:D. If I make extra payments now will those payments just go towards my onboard account? Has anyone done this? I know I could just save the money but it would be good to know it was there ready and waiting (and untouchable!;)) until we cruise. Is it possible? Am I being silly?

Thanks

Angela

Hi have paid off our September cruise:D. If I make extra payments now will those payments just go towards my onboard account? Has anyone done this? I know I could just save the money but it would be good to know it was there ready and waiting (and untouchable!;)) until we cruise. Is it possible? Am I being silly?

Thanks

Angela

hi angela i dont know if you can but you could ask yur TA or p&o but why dont you put into your bank account and get the interest, even if you open a seperate bank account for cruising only

rkmw

Hi Angela,

I think its a wonderful idea. I will definately be looking into it for our next cruise - just waiting for Princess to release their September 2010 schedules, I'm getting very impatient. If you can pay the money in advance and have a neat little stash for when you get on board I'm all for it. Please let us know if they allow you to do this.

Vicki.

Hi all,

I looked into doing this for our up coming Pacific Sun cruise and T/a said couldnt be done.. I didnt bother with ringing P&O. But have heard some T/A will arrange it.

Good luck and happy cruising!

Sonia

I'm pretty sure it can be done with P&O. There was another thread on here some months ago about it. I think Karmac who's presently sailing on the Pacific Dawn arranged it for her family.

It's worth a phonecall to P&O.

Jenny

Thanks everyone I'll look into and let you all know. Of course after the outrageous amount of money that I spent, on myself and family, yesterday at A Day on the Green maybe there won't be extra payments after all!:eek:

Angela

Thanks

Angela

Hi I rang Princess just today and asked this question. We are away for 105 days so we are expecting a pretty solid onboard account and don't want to be confronted with a $20000 bill at the end. They said I could ring up and pay in advance - no problem. I am planning to do it via a credit card but if you ring and get their bank details you can do it by Internet transfer. Just make sure you let them know it is for your onboard account!! GC

Now that is some cruise! Where are you going? Well perhaps I should ask where aren't you going! Surely they won't notice some really big extra baggage with me in it!

Angela

WOW sure you cant take 2 extra big bags?? puleaseeeeeeeeee:):):)

OverTheTop, it can be done - I have rung P&O and they told me yes, it can be done through them or through your travel agent. I just need to give them or the TA a specific amount and a separate invoice will be issued for me to pay off - called onboard ship account. I did this yesterday and at present am working towards paying an extra $1000 for my onboard ship account.

Cheers Rach

Hi OTT

We are going around the world on Dawn Princess. We are the dreaded 'oldies' I read so much about. All I know is I have more energy than my kids!! Love to put you in the bags but having to transport by air enough for 3 months is going to cost us a fortune. Not sure we have the space for people!! This is a trip of a lifetime for us. It's getting close now! Enjoy your cruise. GC

Sorry Angie

Don't know what's going on here tonight. It told me I wasn't allowed to send posts less than 30 seconds apart (I hadn't tried to do so) and it wouldn't send and I was to do it again. Apparently it lied!! Not to worry. I've been a bit off the pace all day so it was probably my fault. Jen

• 2 weeks later...

Having just come back off PD for 17 nights, I'm catching up on what I missed whilst I was away and thought I'd answer this for you.

We paid money onto our onboard account through the T/A before we went. The main resaon we did it is because we don't have a credit card and don't want to get one. As a family of 4 travelling for 17 nights we were looking at taking a reasonable amount with us & didn't want to carry that amount of cash on the day.

We ended up paying just over $5000 onto our account (some on each of the four accounts)prior to sailing. My DH made the first 2 payments and when I went to make the third one, the T/A rang P&O while I was there and told them the amount I was paying. The T/A then asked the person to confirm how much was now on each account. It matched up with what we had paid. I took all the receipts with me and left copies at home. After we left Sydney, we went to the pursers desk to check and guess what.....NOTHING:eek:. After doing something on their computer they found $1700..........still missing $3500. We were still in mobile phone range so I rang my dad and asked him to go the the T/A next morning and let her know. In the meantime, the purser's desk emailed the accounts dept but as it was Friday evening we wouldn't hear anything until Monday. They told the right person not to block our cards if we reached the limit before then (I had nothing on my account). Monday, we got a message to tell us it had all been sorted out and they gave me a complimentary phone call to my dad as I was concerned that he would be panicking that we had no money. When this first happened I mentioned to the guy that this was all because P&O no longer allow you to use debit cards. His response? Yes we do, who told you we don't?:eek:. I told him I'd emailed P&O & got a reply saying no they don't & that we also had a notification with our tickets saying they don't. The girl behind the desk commented that it was a good idea to pay it proir to boarding. My reply to her was.......yes, if it's there when you get on:rolleyes:. She also pointed out that they now have ATM's that we could use. I will add at this point that they were out of action for the majority of the cruise. They tried to blame my T/A (saying they still had the money) but I tried to explain to them that I know P&O had some of it because they had confirmed it when I was at the T/A's. That fell on deaf ears...........was still the T/A's fault as far as they were concerned.

Would I do it that way again? Yes, I would if it concerned a large amount of money. However, next time I'll be asking for a receipt from P&O, not just the T/A.

Sorry this has been such a long response but I didn't want to just say "yes you can do it coz I did". I want you all to be aware of what might happen.

I think I'm just going to take cash. I have a visa debit card, but it really doesn't seem worth the risk. My financial insitution maintains that it will be fine, but I don't want to be left with nothing on board. It seems that the ATM's are rather useless too. Thanks for the info.

Archived