pre-mixing drinks in rum runners?

mistyinca

We pre-mixed margaritas in the rum runners last year. No problem with them - tasted just fine!

Thanks! I hate to waste 2 16-oz rum runners on the vodka and mixer, when I could put it all in 1 32-oz one and save the other 2 16-oz ones for different liquors.:D

Thanks. I know, but the mixer is in a glass bottle, and I don't want to risk it breaking and spilling all over my clothes. :)

Why not just wrap the mixer in bubble wrap, put in the middle of the luggage and you should not have any trouble. We did this with wine and it made it through all the gentle handling that happens on an air flight.

Thanks! I hate to waste 2 16-oz rum runners on the vodka and mixer, when I could put it all in 1 32-oz one and save the other 2 16-oz ones for different liquors.:D

You don't have to smuggle mixers. Place the bottle in your carry on and save the room in your luggage for the good stuff.

Also, look for mixers in plastic bottles instead of glass - readily available.

I don't bother with the rum runners or emptied out mouthwash bottles.

The only time we have had leakage was with a plastic bottle of Captain Morgans...the seam split open just slightly.

Luckily I pack all our booze in bubble wrap and put them inside large zip lock bags, so no wet clothes.

I don't bother with the rum runners or emptied out mouthwash bottles.

The only time we have had leakage was with a plastic bottle of Captain Morgans...the seam split open just slightly.

Luckily I pack all our booze in bubble wrap and put them inside large zip lock bags, so no wet clothes.

I always wrap the lid of the plastic bottles of booze with duct tape and then put the bottles in zip lock bags too. I never would have guessed that a plastic bottle could split at the seams. Greg

I don't know that I would premix bloody mary's (my husband's favorite). Wouldn't that spoil? But, I have just become addicted to Passion Fruit Mojito's so, looks like I will be ordering the Rum Runner's. Gotta love a good smuggling thread!!!!!!!

Does the mini fridge get cold enough to keep bloody mary mix from spoiling? We like to keep soda and water in the cooler which isn't that big to begin with. A little help here would be appreciated. Funny thing, on our last Conquest cruise, we asked the steward to open and empty the mini fridge and ALL OF US completely forgot about it. So, I'm still unsure about the mini fridge.

I always wrap the lid of the plastic bottles of booze with duct tape and then put the bottles in zip lock bags too. I never would have guessed that a plastic bottle could split at the seams. Greg

I would have never guessed either! :p Luckily it only leaked a very small amount.

I thought plastic would be the safest bet against breakage but I was wrong. I always use glass bottles now.

Seriously folks, there is no need for all the fancy rum runners or empty mouthwash/shampoo/soap bottles. Just wrap it well in bubble wrap, put it inside of a zip lock bag and just for extra protection put that inside another plastic sealed bag and cushion it in your suitcase (wrapped in a beach towel works great)...checked bags only...and you will be just fine. Even when the plastic bottle leaked it was contained within the zip lock bag and nothing else in my suitcase was harmed.

5 cruises so far and 100% success rate. :)

I would have never guessed either! :p Luckily it only leaked a very small amount.

I thought plastic would be the safest bet against breakage but I was wrong. I always use glass bottles now.

Seriously folks, there is no need for all the fancy rum runners or empty mouthwash/shampoo/soap bottles. Just wrap it well in bubble wrap, put it inside of a zip lock bag and just for extra protection put that inside another plastic sealed bag and cushion it in your suitcase (wrapped in a beach towel works great)...checked bags only...and you will be just fine. Even when the plastic bottle leaked it was contained within the zip lock bag and nothing else in my suitcase was harmed.

I dont use them for the leakage or breakage issue. (I still bring bottle of wine.) BUT - the rum runners are GREAT for fitting things into odd spaces in your luggage & for bringing home any leftover (should you have any) without taking up the space of a full bottle. Just my $.02

I would think pre-mixing would be fine, with one caveat ... Don't premix with juices that spoil easily. Pineapple is notorious for this. Milk is another obvious bad choice. OJ isn't great either. But with sour mix, grenadine, soda/pop, cranberry, etc you should have no problems.

I dont use them for the leakage or breakage issue. (I still bring bottle of wine.) BUT - the rum runners are GREAT for fitting things into odd spaces in your luggage & for bringing home any leftover (should you have any) without taking up the space of a full bottle. Just my $.02

Ahhh! Now that makes sense! And now that I think of it, less weight than a glass bottle.

Hmmmm....I may need to look into one of these things after all.

Thanks cascole! :)

Ahhh! Now that makes sense! And now that I think of it, less weight than a glass bottle.

Hmmmm....I may need to look into one of these things after all.

Thanks cascole! :)

:p Yup, like you - I didn't see the point & it took me a few years to convert ... now I don't know why I waited. They are cheap, too - and ship super fast!

Recall how icky looking those left over beverages are on the morning after? I think the cranberry juice (or other mixers) would somehow react over time with the alcohol. (or perhaps its the morning after that's affecting my judgement of the beverage)

I think it would be fine as long as neither states "refrigerate after opening". I had to keep my margarita mix on ice until the last minute before leaving the hotel room so that it would be okay out of the fridge for a bit. I would like to report all alcohol stored in rum runners made it through checked and carry on luggage - including the rum we bought in Jamaica that we transferred into the rum runner before getting back on the boat. :D

Has anyone pre-mixed their drinks in the rum runners? I'm wondering how well cosmo mixer and vodka would do pre-mixed in a rum runner for 7 days (or until gone :p).

Recall how icky looking those left over beverages are on the morning after? I think the cranberry juice (or other mixers) would somehow react over time with the alcohol. (or perhaps its the morning after that's affecting my judgement of the beverage)

Mixers don't react with the alcohol. They can react with air. And bacteria can grow in the solution. Much of that bacteria comes from saliva of the drinker.

So I think this would be different.

Has anyone pre-mixed their drinks in the rum runners? I'm wondering how well cosmo mixer and vodka would do pre-mixed in a rum runner for 7 days (or until gone :p).

We bought the pre-made margaritas in our rum runners with a smaller rum runner extra tequila and it was great, we even brought margarita salt and thermal glasses! We also spent our share at the pool and in the lounges whew a great cruise, the only thing the rum runners say is no carbonated liquid, so as long as its not a carbonated mixer you should be fine! Happy Cruising

Couldn't agree more. Big waste of money, IMO. I have done this on 8 Carnival cruises with no problems.

Cheers!

I ordered a bunch of rum runners last Friday around midnight and I had them in hand Monday morning.

I got them so I can premix Lynchburg Lemonade. We love it sitting around the pool. When I get on the boat I'll just have to add the mix to sprite. I don't know if we will drink everything we take so I like the fact that as you drink from them you can make them smaller unlike a glass bottle.

Archived