Queen victoria hull cracks reported

Savoia

You have to be joking - yes???

below is a link to a photo of the 'crack' which is posted on someone's blog and nothing to do with me - talk about a fuss over nothing.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=177912172&blogID=471735463

Ken

OMG! That is soooo scary. I'm really glad I cancelled now. Hang the money - I'd rather not drown thank you very much :eek:

J

You have to be joking - yes???

below is a link to a photo of the 'crack' which is posted on someone's blog and nothing to do with me - talk about a fuss over nothing.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=177912172&blogID=471735463

Ken

The crack on the wall looks very phony like really someone just drew it using a pen,pencil or maybe even a crayola crayon :eek: Regards,Jerry

The crack on the wall looks very phony like really someone just drew it using a pen,pencil or maybe even a crayola crayon :eek: Regards,Jerry

Looks a bit like some crazy paving to me. If the ship does fall apart on our cruise in May perhaps we will get a free cruise!

Anyway when the QE2 and Queen Mary suffered from cracks they just poured 60 tons of concrete into the hull!!!

Looks a bit like some crazy paving to me. If the ship does fall apart on our cruise in May perhaps we will get a free cruise!

Anyway when the QE2 and Queen Mary suffered from cracks they just poured 60 tons of concrete into the hull!!!

This is a bit more like it!!!

Nice shoes!

1436152049_QVrunningrepair!.jpg.69c52b20f58228f42e5a4129ec1d272f.jpg

1660054171_QVDent.jpg.d3d688b7c333f83ab2b032468170025f.jpg

Looks like pen marks to me. A crack wouldn't propagate across a panel break in a straight line like that.

The panels look decorative as well and not structural.

All ships will have cracks due to stress and flexing, that is why they are examined by engineers. The expertise is in dealing with them.

If you look at the structural reports for the Aquitania, she was noted for some large structural cracks that were monitored and dealt with as required. That is what engineers do!

If the cracks were important then her seaworthiness certificate would be withdrawn (it is NOT the companies own decision to go to sea, the insurance company and other departments of government have a say as well) and NO company worth their salt would cover up structural defects these days as the legal implications would finish the company.

Looks like pen marks to me. A crack wouldn't propagate across a panel break in a straight line like that.

The panels look decorative as well and not structural.

In fact, if you download the image and have a more detailed look at it in Photoshop you can make out three significant things (in spite of the low res image):

a. There is no evidence of the "crack" in the join between the two interior trim panels. Clearly the felt tip pen nib was two thick to penetrate to the bottom of the join.

b. Immediately to the right of the panel join you can see a blotch where the "artist" stopped, and then, restarted drawing the line (you can actually make that out in the blog image).

c. If you sort out the levels and colour balance properly, you can see that the "crack" is not black but very dark blue - a strange colour for a crack.

J

Yikes!! - a crack in t’boat

We are sailing in August across the Channel and back at the end of August on the QV.

I am going to take the following precautions.

• Learn to swim - at least it is feasibly possible to swim the Channel (once I have learnt to swim)
  • Pack some super glue and gaffer tape
  • Sleep in my life jacket, snorkel and flippers

Are there any sharks in the Channel?

Bye for now!!

If the unlikely event happened the sinking of the Queen Victoria :eek: maybe they'll make a movie about it starring Leonardo DiCuCu :D oops sorry I mean DiCaprio and Kate Winslet can pose nude again :D. Regards,Jerry

It's amazing how upset people get when you criticize what I assume is their favorite company. This particular Vista styled hull was heavily redesigned, the most expensive to date, and this is in all likelyhood a simple settling as with any structure. It will obviously require some work and redesign when the QE is built. It could well be Carnival's desire to push the altered Vista into trans-atlantic service may be the reason. The Vistas have had to be strengthened in order to be billed as "transatlantic" liners, these ships were never designed to take the stress of atlantic travel.

To the poster of the thread don't be dismayed at the verocity of the response. I posted the same thread and it was met with the same level of sarcasm. I'm no fan of the Carnival way of doing business, particularly with Cunard. The company is managed by Princess, exchanges crew with Princess, QV and QE are designed by Head of Design for Princess Therese Anderson, Cunard President Carol Marlow answers directly to P&O Princess President, shares office space with Princess, even Cunard's make up is taken from Princess Cruises. It's horribly watered down and a brand that lives, in my opinion, nowhere near what it could be if Carnival were not so cheap.

It's amazing how upset people get when you criticize what I assume is their favorite company. This particular Vista styled hull was heavily redesigned, the most expensive to date, and this is in all likelyhood a simple settling as with any structure. It will obviously require some work and redesign when the QE is built. It could well be Carnival's desire to push the altered Vista into trans-atlantic service may be the reason. The Vistas have had to be strengthened in order to be billed as "transatlantic" liners, these ships were never designed to take the stress of atlantic travel.

To the poster of the thread don't be dismayed at the verocity of the response. I posted the same thread and it was met with the same level of sarcasm. I'm no fan of the Carnival way of doing business, particularly with Cunard. The company is managed by Princess, exchanges crew with Princess, QV and QE are designed by Head of Design for Princess Therese Anderson, Cunard President Carol Marlow answers directly to P&O Princess President, shares office space with Princess, even Cunard's make up is taken from Princess Cruises. It's horribly watered down and a brand that lives, in my opinion, nowhere near what it could be if Carnival were not so cheap.

You keep coming back with the same type of response regardless of the topic of your original posts. Why do you have such an obsession with being constantly critical of a line that you appear to have never sailed? Maybe some enlightenment from you is in order???

Tit!

Long-taled (no, not a spelling error) and a repetitious long-taled at that!:eek:

Hey Bet,

Again I will ask, bring on your specific questions...and less of your own brand of dry humor!;)

I can't figure why you are here!!! Most people that frequent this site really do like Cunard. You obviously do not. So run along to some place where you fit in a little better. You certainly are an outcast and you really are not liked or wanted here.

I'm quite interested to know how someone in New York knows anything about Goole docks!!!

I live about 10 miles from there and have to drive by sometimes, Couldn't help laughing!!! Sorry, totally unrelated to thread, Goole docks, ha ha.

Cruise giant Carnival has announced a ($467m) ship order with Fincantieri and a realignment of the groups existing fleet. Under the re-alignment Cunards’s £225m Queen Victoria, now under construction at Fincantieri’s Marghera Yard and due to enter service in 2005, will be transferred top P&O Cruises and re-named Arcadia.

Cunard has ordered a new 85,000gt ship also to be named Queen Victoria, which will enter service in 2007, and have a passenger capacity of 1

Further alignment includes the transfer of P&O Cruises 77,000gt Adonia to Princess Cruises as the Sea Princess in May 2005, while Princess Cruises Royal Princess will join P&O Cruises fleet as the Artemis at the same time. ,850.

Just saw this on Solentwaters site. Will the real 'vicky' step forward?

I wonder if they all have cracks? Maybe it's genetic.

Cunard has ordered a new 85,000gt ship also to be named Queen Victoria, which will enter service in 2007, and have a passenger capacity of 1

oops that should have read 1850 not 1. Mind you after reading this thread.......................................

It could well be Carnival's desire to push the altered Vista into trans-atlantic service may be the reason. The Vistas have had to be strengthened in order to be billed as "transatlantic" liners, these ships were never designed to take the stress of atlantic travel.

QV is not in trans-atlantic service. :p That would be QM2. :D QV makes the trip over a couple of times a year, consistent with the many other Vista's already in service for Holland America and they were not built with the thicker plating and hull reinforcement as QV. I did read somewhere that a new sophisicated hull stress monitoring system was installed on QV and QM2 to help the crew determine optimum speed through rough seas. I thought this was mentioned in an interview with the Captain of QV, but I cannot find the link to the article.

Why do I think this poster may have been a plant from the competition? I find myself defending Cunard/Carnival and amazed at the gullibility of people to believe everything they read online. Ships flex. If they don't, they will break apart. I was completely at ease on QE2 on the Atlantic with my 3 deck cabin with flexing millwork in rough seas on a 40 year old ship!

Archived