What are you going to do in Belize?

staylor

We are going on the Geoff's Cay snorkeling(using the ships tour). Picks you right off the boat, no tendering to shore. Using private companies-you will have to tender.

Getting some room service food and bringing along. If a lunch is provided-will have a choice (ours or theirs). Will bring our own snorkel (maybe mask, too) don't know the condition of theirs.:rolleyes:

Going to do the Altun Ha ruins so hubby can climb them and pretend he is Mayan. I will watch from the ground, since steps are not a great option for me.

Also going to Pharmacy and getting a few things much cheaper than in the USA.

We did the Altun Ha/River Wallace tour. Enjoyed it tremendously.

We did this tour also. It was good. We enjoyed it a lot. I don't know what we're going to do this March. So I'm looking for some ideas too!

STaylor... my husband and I booked a Shark/StingRay snorkel through Coral Breeze. Looks like fun, but we haven't been just yet!

http://www.coralbreezelimited.com/current_category.15/Product.2/tours_add.html?t_product=2

This is the one tour I was thinking of booking this time. I also wanted to visit the zoo. My mother doesn't like to snorkel so I'm still trying to decide. Let me know how you like coral Breeze when you return.

Is there any whitewater or is it a calm float. We kayak in the Gauley and New Rivers here in West Virginia. Are the sites pretty cool?

The River Wallace is a calm float. The boats haul at a pretty good clip, but the water is smooth on the river. You'll actually take the river into the ocean. That's where you'll see the dolphins and manatees. The guides were fun as well as very informative.

This question interests me too, as we are also trying to decide what to do while in Belize. I've heard that the zoo is a big disappointment since it is so hot and the animals hide away in the shade. It's also supposed to be very primitive and not near as nice as what we are used to seeing in the U.S.:(

I was wondering about the wildlife sanctuary with all of the howler monkeys. Has anyone been to it? I don't ever hear reports about it. All I ever hear about is the river tubing. Does anyone have any experiences with the wildlife sanctuary that they would like to share?:confused:

I was also interested in one of the tours at www.regtour.com. They take you to the manatee reserve and then go snorkeling at Geoff's Caye. It sounds interesting, has anyone done this? I know, I know, go to the Belize boards and ask. Well, I have, but there isn't much activity there and my questions go unanswered. I like how promptly the Carnival cruisers answer your questions.:D

I forgot to mention that our son (24) did the Biking in Belize tour which consists of a 4 mile bike ride, then a trip to Altun Ha and lunch. You definitely MUST have bug spray with Deet. He loved the bike ride but it was muddy and I ended up doing a laundry on the ship - first time I've ever done that but I did not want to pack muddy clothes.

We did Coral Breeze's Shark Ray Alley snorkel excursion with our 3 kids (6, 10, 13) and had a great time, even if there wasn't as much time in the water as I'd expected. We didn't do the lunch but walked around Caye Caulker a bit. We heard mixed reviews of the lunch, so we were glad we saved the money and got to beachcomb instead. Our youngest would not have eaten it, and knowing this, we packed her a pb sandwich along with drinks for all of us.

Is there any whitewater or is it a calm float. We kayak in the Gauley and New Rivers here in West Virginia. Are the sites pretty cool?

Where in WV? I am originally from the Princeton/Bluefield area...now residing near Richmond VA. Just nice to see some other 'eers on here!

Stef

Guest Time2gocruzn

We were going to go to Caye Caulker. BUT I am traveling w/ a 2 yo and a 4 yo. The water taxi ride is LONG, 45 minutes each way. SO I have been considering Coral Sands Beach Resort. The ride is only 20 minutes each way. Check out this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=82448

http://www.coralsandsbelize.com/

My only concern here is that the sand is actually crushed coral. Not sure what that is like. Also they have a snorkeling package. BUT there has to be a minimum of 8 (?) people or they won't take you out. I am scared to commit to this because I really want to snorkle in Belize. If I go there, and I can't go snorkeling because there isn't enough people, then what do I do? If I book another tour it will be pretty much guaranteed that I get to go. Anyway check it out. I am traveling with DH, 2 kids, and my parents. I think this place would work but not sure if we would ALL enjoy other snorkle excursions.

djklove,

If you really want to snorkel then how about doing Goff's Caye from the ship? In my family I snorkel but my wife and 5 year old will just go to the island and play on the sand and shallow water while I snorkel. And there's no hassles about waiting for the tender or about getting back on time or if you will get to snorkel.

Just got off the Miracle yesterday and did the Cave Tubing with X-stream. It was great! They walk you a bunch more than the Carnival sponsored one, but you get to tube twice as long. Richard was our guide and he was fantastic.

Last year, we did a snorkeling tour there, but it was right after a storm and the water wasn't so clear. I'd like to give that a try again.

I second the Altun Ha/River Wallace tour. We did that last November (a year ago) and loved it. Don't know what we'll do in a few weeks. Maybe just get off and shop at the pier.

Several people replied to my thread on "something other than cave tubing in Belize" (sorry I don't know how to forward it) and said that shopping in Belize is a bad idea because the port area is not well developed. I haven't been there, but you might want to check out this other thread to see what people said about the shopping there.

Archived