HAL Alaska - formal nights

maadimom

We are booked on our first Alaska, first HAL cruise in July. I am trying to do the minimal packing thing, and have one question about formal nights to help me decide what goes where.

I am no novice at packing after living in Africa and Europe for 16 years. That's not my problem. In all those years, I never had my bag lost....ever....

Now that I'm back in the US, I've had my bag lost twice!!!!

Hence my question: There are two formal nights on the cruise. I have one long gown and one cocktail dress. On other cruise lines, one formal night was a little more formal than the other. I want to pack one of these dresses in my hand carry as the first formal night is the first full day of the cruise. One packs as easy as the other. I just need to know which would be better...long or short? Granted if my bag is lost and never finds me it won't matter, but my bags did manage to catch up to me before, so I will think positive in a negative situation.

I plan on packing one day's layered clothing, one casual dress, and one formal. Shoes packed will be simple black that go with both dresses, and I will wear the hiking shoes on the plane as well as carry the coat. I figure on the way back everything goes in the suitcase and my hand carry will hold whatever I buy.

I put this question on this board as you guys are great. I have had lots of fun reading through the threads. Oh, and I bought the Spanx high powered thing....I don't know whether to thank you all or the opposite. I haven't tried to squeeze my body into that 5" sausage casing yet, but I'm sure it will amusing!

We found on our 7 day AK cruise that the 2nd formal night was a bit more formal, BUT that didn't mean everyone was in a long gowns, etc. This year, I'm taking 1 long skirt and 2 tops to get me through formal nights. You will find, I believe, that if you are a bit more or a bit less formal than others, you will not be the only one :) Enjoy you Alaska cruise -- AK is addictive!

Archived