Star Flyer Dining Attire

cdcampione

Are slacks required for men at all times in the dining room? Is ther anywhere to eat on the ship in nice dress shorts and collared shirt. We live in the Desert and never wear long pants even out to dinner in nice restaurants around town especially with Summer heat. Even on Oceania, you can opt for dress shorts in the evenings out back at Tapas on the Terrace. I heard on PG there is also a outdoor eating area where slacks for men are not required in the evenings. I was hoping that in Tahiti, they would have more casual (dressy shorts and Hawaiian shirts) for dining in the evenings.

There is only one dining room on SF. Men are required to wear pants only at dinner time.

Wow....you must have had an interesting cruise. We only had a few Germans who liked to wear Speedos:D

And by the way, interesting MySpace page.....you have a Mazda, I live Mazda every day. You have a motorcycle, so do I....had to give up the CBR cause the reflexes are slowing down a bit...decided to try the cruiser route.....now wife can go too! And I like Garbage.

Now, back to the question. Shorts are OK at breakfast & lunch, but not at dinner. They don't have to be heavy pants or even Docker types. I had a pair of very light cotton Nautica pants that I wore & never caught any grief. It's only an hour or two you have to put up with the pant thing.....in fact the other pair I had was a Cabela's pair that I could just zip off the legs when done with dinner. Plus, it can get a little cool up on deck at night while star gazing, so the pants can come in handy there.

Mike

http://gallery.mac.com/csealove

Wow....you must have had an interesting cruise. We only had a few Germans who liked to wear Speedos:D

LOL!! ;)

And by the way, interesting MySpace page.....you have a Mazda, I live Mazda every day. You have a motorcycle, so do I....had to give up the CBR cause the reflexes are slowing down a bit...decided to try the cruiser route.....now wife can go too! And I like Garbage.

Perhaps we were separated at birth?

Now, back to the question. Shorts are OK at breakfast & lunch, but not at dinner. They don't have to be heavy pants or even Docker types. I had a pair of very light cotton Nautica pants that I wore & never caught any grief. It's only an hour or two you have to put up with the pant thing.....in fact the other pair I had was a Cabela's pair that I could just zip off the legs when done with dinner. Plus, it can get a little cool up on deck at night while star gazing, so the pants can come in handy there.

Mike

Yes...shorts okay at b-fast and lunch...pants at dinner. It's very casual!! :D

We were just on the Star Flyer (2/15 - 2/26/09). The rule that men have to wear long pants at dinner was eventually suspended due to extreme temperatures (90+) in the dining room. Great food, great service, but maybe not such a great atmosphere! One of the two AC units had broken during the previous cruise and could not be repaired. We only had AC in our cabin about 2 hours a day (about 4AM). I'm told that the AC and all the other broken stuff on the Star Flyer is now repaired. The problems of supply and repair of the Star Flyer in Tahiti is one of the reasons Star Flyer's parent company is pulling out. Anyway, I have sufficient confidence in Star Clippers that we are going to be on their Athens to Thailand cruise this coming Oct.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike

Leave it to Texans to make a thread funny.:D

We were on the Royal C on a charter. Broucher (sp?) said NO TIES! One night four couples dined at the Capt. table, The 4 (henpecked?) men were the only ones with ties.:eek:

The Capt. looked great with an open shirt and very light white trousers.

• 2 weeks later...
We were just on the Star Flyer (2/15 - 2/26/09). The rule that men have to wear long pants at dinner was eventually suspended due to extreme temperatures (90+) in the dining room. Great food, great service, but maybe not such a great atmosphere! One of the two AC units had broken during the previous cruise and could not be repaired. We only had AC in our cabin about 2 hours a day (about 4AM). I'm told that the AC and all the other broken stuff on the Star Flyer is now repaired. The problems of supply and repair of the Star Flyer in Tahiti is one of the reasons Star Flyer's parent company is pulling out. Anyway, I have sufficient confidence in Star Clippers that we are going to be on their Athens to Thailand cruise this coming Oct.

A bit off-topic but curious - did they offer you any sort of refund or compensation for being AC-less for your cruise?

I'm glad to hear its fixed, but I'd like to think they do something to try to compensate folks who suffered through 7 days of Feb FP weather without sufficient AC in case it happens to us in May.

Yes. Due to the lack of AC and a number of other problems, Star Clippers offered a 25% cash refund or 50% credit for another cruise. I believe that everyone on board was offered the same compensation. We took the 50% credit and are using it for the Star Clipper's relocation cruise from Athens to Thailand in October/November this year. We upgraded from a Category 3 to Category 2 and took the rest as price reduction. This was very generous of Star Clippers as few cruiselines will admit to anything that costs them more than the offer of a free drink! I believe on our upcoming cruise that there is an interesting Somali pirate tour being offered......

Hello Jandar. Of course I remember you. I thought everybody on board got this same offer from Star Clippers, but obviously not. We received some emails on this from other folks on board with us who did. Did you sign the petition that was being circulated? Also, we did work through our travel agent (Travltips.com) who sells a lot of bookings for Star Clippers. What we got was 50% of our discounted fare for a catergory 3 cabin (we'd already gotten 25% off for being repeat customers when we booked the trip -- plus we later received a cabin credit for the fuel surcharges). This refund didn't include anything for port charges, airfare, etc. What this amounted to was a little less than $3000 credit for our upcoming Athens to Thailand trip. As an alternative, Star Clippers offered to refund us 25% in cash (a little under $1500). I hope this information helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks rogerc -- we have persued the matter with our travel agent and suddenly someone down the line realized that "a letter was sent out in early March which apparently we did not receive ..." I believe that we received the same compensation options as you did. Interestingly, our travel companions from Maryland had not heard of the compensation being offered either :-) We both signed the petition letter.

Thanks again rogerc -- without your comments, we would never have known! My regards to your wife.

J

Glad you got your compensation. It was well-deserved! Now the question is, are you booking a new trip with Star Clippers? They're offering that 48 niter from Papeete to St Maartin!

LOL Rogerc! I love the sailing and the whole feel of Star Clippers but 48 nights might be a bit much, even for me!

Likely our next cruise will be something in the Med on Star Clippers or Windstar or the Galapagos, sadly not on Star Clippers.

Archived