Local Currency

Redrufus

We're on the Westerdam re-location cruise to Vancouver.(leavinf April 19th) Are US$ acceptable on shore for places like Costa Rica, Aruba and Panama or do we need to get the local currency (either on board or before we leave).

All advice appreciated.

We're on the Westerdam re-location cruise to Vancouver.(leavinf April 19th) Are US$ acceptable on shore for places like Costa Rica, Aruba and Panama or do we need to get the local currency (either on board or before we leave).

All advice appreciated.

We've never had any trouble using $US anywhere (at least in tourist areas) including C.R. and Aruba. We never got off the ship in Panama. However, you will probably get a bad exchange rate.

You can change $US to local currency for you next port on the ship, and you convert any extra back when departing the country. (Bills only, no coins.) Again, not a good exchange rate, but convenient.

We try to use credit cards where ever possible.

Absolutely no reason to get local currency; all ports on your cruise from FL to Vancouver accept US$ as readily as their own. As a matter of fact, those that deal with the tourist industry in general and cruise ship passengers in particular seem to prefer the US$.:)

We are going on the Maasdam to the Southern Carribean in April and had been asking myself the same question.

I have another related question: Will local ATMs give US$ or just local currency? If the latter, what is the best way to get cash to pay for independent taxi excursions for example? I want to avoid having to carry more than a small amout of cash. As suggested, credit cards are the best solution, but I doubt if many smaller stores or restaurants or taxis will take them. Does the ship have an ATM machine? Are travellers cheques likey to be of any use? (I have not used them for years!).

This was never a problem on our previous cruises, because the ports of call were all large cities with banks and ATMs, and local currency was the only option.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I have another related question: Will local ATMs give US$ or just local currency? If the latter, what is the best way to get cash to pay for independent taxi excursions for example? I want to avoid having to carry more than a small amout of cash. As suggested, credit cards are the best solution, but I doubt if many smaller stores or restaurants or taxis will take them. Does the ship have an ATM machine? Are travellers cheques likey to be of any use? (I have not used them for years!).

Thanks in advance for the advice.

We take travelers checks and we cash them onboard at the front desk before hopping off at a port. I doubt they will be accepted readily by smaller vendors onshore.

I have another related question: Will local ATMs give US$ or just local currency?
I've never seen an ATM anywhere outside the US give $US, and there are no ATMs on HAL ships.

(BTW, St Thomas and Puerto Rico ARE the US! I once overhead a woman on a HAL tour in St Thomas say "I wonder what money they use here"!!)

I doubt if many smaller stores or restaurants or taxis will take them.
You will have NO problem finding small shops and restaurants that take Visa cards. Mastercard is less common anywhere I've been, and Discover is often not accepted. I haven't paid much attention to AmEx, but I don't think that is nearly as common as Visa and MC. Some taxis will take credit cards, and it won't be hard to find ones that will take $US. Just ask before you get in!

If you don't feel comfortable carrying as much cash as you think you will need, traveler's checks, cashed on the ship, are a good solution. In an emergency you can also take a cash advance on your shipboard account, but that will cost you a 3% fee.

To get a very small amount of local currency for miscellaneous things, we sometimes buy a small souvenir (around $4 or $5) in a shop near the pier, pay for it with a $20 bill, and ask for change in the local currency. Most often, you don't have the option to get change in $US anyway. (The only place I ever saw that was in Arhus Denmark.)

Archived