Zuiderdam- Best Veranda for Canal?

Knolmom

Looking at Panama Canal sailing February 2010 on the Zuiderdam. It seems to be the best Canal itinerary without making a full transit.

We have never sailed Holand America. We usually do Celebrity or RCL to the Caribbean and have done Princess to Alaska.

We are wondering if the first or second from the front balcony on either side of the ship would be better than an aft for this trip? We are taking into consideration the entire cruise and not just the day we go through the Canal.

Can anyone help us with our cabin selection, and offer any comparison between Holland and the RCL and Celebrity experience? Truth be told, I did not care much for the food or service on Princess, but the Island Princess was a beautiful ship and Princess did a great job with the land in Alaska.

The best place to be in the Canal part is out on the bow or a higher forward deck, not on any cabin verandah. Since there's no way to predict whether the ship will be using the port or starboard Gatun lock (either going in or coming out) there's no way to choose a 'best' side. But, forward would be better than aft going through the locks.

I was on 1/18/09 Zuiderdam Canal cruise - it's a toss-up as to which side would be best, but since ideal viewing is head-on, generally you want to be on a forward facing public deck -- since those are really crowded, the best veranda would be the aft facing ones. On either side, it would make very little difference whether you were forward or aft -- except that on Upper Veranda deck (and possibly others) the most forward verandas are smaller and have steel rather than plexiglass sides - and are the worst.

I was on 1/18/09 Zuiderdam Canal cruise - it's a toss-up as to which side would be best, but since ideal viewing is head-on, generally you want to be on a forward facing public deck -- since those are really crowded, the best veranda would be the aft facing ones. On either side, it would make very little difference whether you were forward or aft -- except that on Upper Veranda deck (and possibly others) the most forward verandas are smaller and have steel rather than plexiglass sides - and are the worst.

Sorry - I meant Upper Promenade, not Upper Veranda.

Actually we did the Canal a few years ago on RCL in an aft cabin and absolutely loved it! We could stand on our balcony and really watch everythng work (raising and lowering the canal for us and then watch those behind us). It was a pretty awesome place to be!

We have booked another aft cabin on the Zuiderdam in December and are looking forward to the same wonderful experience! :D

Actually the forward "upper promenade" verandas w/ the "steel reeling" are larger (door to reeling) by 1 1/2'. We had one in the canal and it was fine, especially going through the locks because your just above ground level and you can look right over the side (because the reeling is part of the ship structure). As for the rest of the cruise, we really didn't miss the plexiglass and we liked the added space. Also, we had the door open to the veranda next to us (our travel parters), which even made it feel bigger.

These cabins are category VF and the "savings" compared to other verandas (VE-VA) was well worth it IMHO.

Looking at Panama Canal sailing February 2010 on the Zuiderdam. It seems to be the best Canal itinerary without making a full transit.

We have never sailed Holand America. We usually do Celebrity or RCL to the Caribbean and have done Princess to Alaska.

We are wondering if the first or second from the front balcony on either side of the ship would be better than an aft for this trip? We are taking into consideration the entire cruise and not just the day we go through the Canal.

Can anyone help us with our cabin selection, and offer any comparison between Holland and the RCL and Celebrity experience? Truth be told, I did not care much for the food or service on Princess, but the Island Princess was a beautiful ship and Princess did a great job with the land in Alaska.

We cruised the Panama Canal in Jan 2009, had 5190 a Verandah Suite, port side, all the way aft, corner suite, not sure of the cabin # but it did begin with a 5. It was a very nice suite. We ate outside many times. Going thru the canal was an experience helped with the corner patio. The seas were rather calm.

The first for me was an outside with a window but the view was blocked. Next cruise was an unobstucted view with a patio which we did not use. Now we're hooked with the rear suites.

We did not find the food to be a problem on the Zuiderdam, but I am satisfied with a hamburg at McDonald's so don't go by me.

We had 7138 aft VA on our trip and absolutely loved it! Could see everything as the locks opened and closed and ships were lower and on return higher in the different locks. Ran up to the bow and Crows nest for a forward view, but preferred our own balcony. Best upgrade we ever had!!!

Archived