Is Dr Pepper (soft drink) sold in Vancouver?

CruisinMama7

In an effort to feed my caffeine addiction, I'm trying to plan ahead of our two week cruise tour. I know that Princess won't be selling our soft drink of choice, so I have to bring some Dr Pepper onboard (two cases). Since Dr Pepper is bottled in Texas, I fear that it won't be available in Vancouver.:eek:

Do any other Dr Pepper addicts out there know the answer? If so, where? Any place close to the Pan Pacific?

Thanks in advance!:D

Cruisin'Mama

I can tell you are a true fan as you wrote Dr Pepper and not Dr. Pepper!! LOL

I can't answer your question specifically, but I know that Clearly Canadian Beverage Corporation has an agreement with Dr Pepper company and they are in Vancouver. We have lived overseas a lot and I REALLY have missed my Dr Peppers at times. They were sold in the UK so I think your chances will be good.

Oh, dare say, do I have a glimmer of hope? :)

As far as the correct spelling of Dr Pepper is concerned, I wondered how many would pick up on that! ;) I truly am a die hard when it comes to, and I must correct myself here, Diet Dr Pepper.

OMIGOD, if I drank two cases of regular Dr Pepper, I wouldn't be able to sashay up to the buffet table!:eek:

Back to topic....does anybody know for sure about the Diet Dr Pepper? My fingers are crossed.:rolleyes:

Cruisin'Mama

I, too, am waiting for an answer to this. I always smuggle a few cans of Diet Dr Pepper on the ship. I just say DDP...and my family knows what I mean!!!
'

I will check it out at the grocery store today BUT I think the only time I've seen it in cans has been with mixed cases of other pop. You can definitely get it in plastic 2L bottles.

I am going to Safeway and London Drugs and will report back later.

Viv

Dr Pepper is sold in Vancouver, my name is Putterdude and I have the habit, however is very hard to find in the diet form so I usually end up buying a generaic diet Dr. P. You should be able to find it at London Drugs at Georgia & Granville about 6/7 blocks from Canada Place or at one of the 7-11's in the downtown core.:)

Oh my gosh!

After the whole In N Out thread, I can't believe that there are a whole bunch of us that have a special relationship with Diet Dr Pepper!:eek::D

All who get to know me, (especially on vacations and cruises) get a strange shock and realization when first thing at breakfast, I don't order coffee like everyone else.

What? You're having a Diet Dr Pepper first thing in the morning?

Yes. Yes I am.:cool:

Update - it doesn't look like London Drugs sells the 12 pack of tins - just the bottles and they are expensive - I checked at the two closest downtown locations and that is all that I could find - also had a friend who works at one of the those stores and he could only come up with the same find.

As for Safeway - both of there downtown locations are a ways away from the Pan Pacific.

One place that does sell the 12 pack in both regular and diet Dr Pepper is the Marketplace IGA on Burrard which would be closer than either of the Safeways.

Will check out a couple more outlets over the weekend - I will be next door to the Pan Pacific tomorrow - there is an open house for the new 850 Million $$$ trade and convention center so will see what might sell it there.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Sally Forth and Urban trekker,

Thank you so much for all of the trouble that y'all are going thru.:) I never expected you to go on a wild goose chase! I am truly, genuinely honored by your hospitality. And here I thought that us Texans were known for our friendliness. So far from what I've seen, y'all could give us a run for the money, any day! ;)

This just makes me want to visit Vancouver all the more! Plus the fact, I'm now relieved because it sounds like I won't have to ship two cases up there prior to our sailing. That would have cost a small fortune. :eek:

Thanks for everybody's suggestions. Cruise Critic folks are just the best! :cool:

I nervously await any and all updates. Thanks, again.

Cruisin'Mama

Cruisin'Mama

It's not a wild goose chase for me as I live downtown and these are outlets that are part of my daily life so walking through them is nothing special to me.

One thing many visitor don't realize about Vancouver is that there are about 80,000 of us who live in a compact downtown core - almost like a city within an city and where all the major service industry players have set up shop - we are also a highly walkable community with most services being within a mile of our residence.

PD - I will check out Urban Fare as well - there newest location is across the street from one of my fast food eateries as well as the corporate offices of my former employer - I am now retired.

Heading down in an hour or two to take advantage of the open house for the new Trade and Convention center.

Turning sunny and warm for the next few days - it's about time

Cheers

Dennis

Urban Fare does sell it at their Alberni Street location.

PD - took at tour of the new Convention center - people who I talked too seem to think that it is worth every penny that it cost - the walkaway starts right at the Pan Pacific/Canada Place goes around the center and joins up with the existing seawall by the float plane docks. It is even designed for bikes to have there own way around the complex as it is part of the Trans-Canada trail.

I will be posting some images on my blog a little later and also hope to do a Pisaca album as well.

It was packed with lots of people - the inside is spacious and used lots of wood - also the vast expanse of glass lets in lots of natural light.

The broadwalk connects directly with Canada Place and Pan Pacific and those staying at the Marriott properties can just basically walk out the door - down one block on Thurlow and be at the start of the walkway.

Cheers

Dennis

Update - it doesn't look like London Drugs sells the 12 pack of tins - just the bottles and they are expensive - I checked at the two closest downtown locations and that is all that I could find - also had a friend who works at one of the those stores and he could only come up with the same find.

As for Safeway - both of there downtown locations are a ways away from the Pan Pacific.

One place that does sell the 12 pack in both regular and diet Dr Pepper is the Marketplace IGA on Burrard which would be closer than either of the Safeways.

Will check out a couple more outlets over the weekend - I will be next door to the Pan Pacific tomorrow - there is an open house for the new 850 Million $$$ trade and convention center so will see what might sell it there.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

How about Diet Mt Dew?

Thanks,

another caffeine addict

Ut, glad you enjoyed the "peoples" convention centre...just kidding in time the cost will be forgotten about and people will look at it as a teriffic asset for the city and no question it will be a huge economic engine; unlike another 3 liabilties that will go nameless but created by a previous government. Is there provision for any additional cruise docking at the centre...I think not but am curious?

As for Dr. Pepper am I mistaken or wouldn't be a shorter walk to the UrbanFare at 305 Bute?:confused:

Yes that one would be closer but the Alberni one was more convenient for me as it was on the way home.

I don't think there is any provision for the cruise ships as the shoreline has been rehabilitated for marine wildlife.

You actually get a pretty good view of two of those pieces of BC History from the new walkway as it gives you a clear view across to inlet to the Lonsdale Quay area.

Judging by the comments that I heard today most people are smart enough to realize that ALL construction costs have double over the past few years and that this project is no exception.

It was also interesting to note that one project that ran into trouble was the Jamieson House project - it is now back on track because a new contractor BOSA has taken it over - they were mounting the crane today on Hastings - street was blocked off - project was able to resume because construction costs have decreased so much that less pre-sales were needed.

Anyways enough of the soap box - time to head back to the hockey game.

Got a 50KM bike ride tomorrow so it will be an early night for me.

Cheers

Dennis

:)

I don't think there is any provision for the cruise ships as the shoreline has been rehabilitated for marine wildlife.

Judging by the comments that I heard today most people are smart enough to realize that ALL construction costs have double over the past few years and that this project is no exception.

I didn't think that there was addtional dock space for exactly the reason you have stated.

As for your second comment....well this is one of the problems you face with construction management as opposed to a fix price contract. However, given the magnitude of this project it likely would have been a huge challenge to get a fixed price contract. I am just pleased that they got David Podmore involved, he is probably one of the few people in the province, if not the country, who could have worked thru this.:)

According to News 1130 radio - 27,000 people toured the Convention center today so at least people are getting a good look at what their money has built.

Agree that Podmore was a timely addition to the construction team.

The Center gets it first large convention in 10 days when the American Bar Association holds its convention there.

Guess you could say that the Canucks where up against a hot goalie tonight.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived