New sailers

popeye13

Hello everybody. After ages of just reading, we arfe talking!

We want to ride on Cunard, we love all the nstuff you talk about, the dresses, the lovely food, all the really nice things.

I cant tell you how excited we are about tyhis!

Anyway we have to ask a question LOL. If you go on a really lng cruise, like right round, do you get bored? Do you see the nsame shows, same bars, same port, all that? We are thinknig of a round the earth, but rfe worried it will be same old after a while.

It sounds SOOOOO good.

Are there people here who have done the world?

Thank you

xxxxx

Hello everybody. After ages of just reading, we arfe talking!

We want to ride on Cunard, we love all the nstuff you talk about, the dresses, the lovely food, all the really nice things.

I cant tell you how excited we are about tyhis!

Anyway we have to ask a question LOL. If you go on a really lng cruise, like right round, do you get bored? Do you see the nsame shows, same bars, same port, all that? We are thinknig of a round the earth, but rfe worried it will be same old after a while.

It sounds SOOOOO good.

Are there people here who have done the world?

Thank you

xxxxx

Not me, I've just a day sailer, but it's not terribly new and could not possibly get all the way 'round.:D

Ummm that was a real question.

We were wondreing if the longer cruises ar boring. We have both finished work, want to cruise, really can choose anything and wanted to ask lots of uestions here to see what we should do.

Is this a place just to make jokes? I think we might have misunderstood, but some of the other company chat rooms here seem to answer real questions.

Sorry if I've got this wrong.

:o

Well my questions are genuine but I wouldnt know where to look for my "credentials".

Oh well, thanks anyway. I'll try elsewhere.

I presume it's the spelling! How shallow. There is a reason for the spelling (this is now the husband) but I don't see why that needs to be discussed.

What a shame.

Well my questions are genuine but I wouldnt know where to look for my "credentials".

I presume it's the spelling! How shallow. There is a reason for the spelling (this is now the husband) but I don't see why that needs to be discussed.

What a shame.

That has to be your decision but I think that perseverence may be the key to establishing your missing credentials. lol. Just my humble opinion. N othing to do with spelling either

What a shame.

Having done a 19 day cruise through the Panama Canal last year, I can tell you that yo have to love cruising to do it. (We do). Perhaps you should try a shorter cruise, 5-7 days, and maybe one with a lot of ports. Our first was to Alaska, and we got hooked.

Hope that helps.

Having done a 19 day cruise through the Panama Canal last year, I can tell you that yo have to love cruising to do it. (We do). Perhaps you should try a shorter cruise, 5-7 days, and maybe one with a lot of ports. Our first was to Alaska, and we got hooked.

Hope that helps.

Oh goody, someone nice.

That makes a lot of sense. We are torn between leaping into a very long cruise and just trying it out firs.

I had a similar question about the round the world tour. You spend 99% of the time on the ship. Even when you get into port, you only have a few hours to go ashore. Not enough time to really see anything. And some of the ports are not that close to their major city.

I've also been watching the bridge cameras to see what it looks like to go through the Suez Canal or pass the Straights of Gilbraltar, but both were at night.

It seems to me that it would be a better trip if they spent a few days in the major cities to allow for sightseeing and to get a brief feel for the culture.

I had a similar question about the round the world tour. You spend 99% of the time on the ship. Even when you get into port, you only have a few hours to go ashore. Not enough time to really see anything. And some of the ports are not that close to their major city.

I've also been watching the bridge cameras to see what it looks like to go through the Suez Canal or pass the Straights of Gilbraltar, but both were at night.

It seems to me that it would be a better trip if they spent a few days in the major cities to allow for sightseeing and to get a brief feel for the culture.

There is a lot of truth in what you say, however that is not how cruises work unfortunately. You need your own boat if you are going to do that or else get used to flying more.

Some intineraries on some lines might spend two nights in a port, e.g., St. Petersburg. On some of the world cruises I've read about, they sometimes offer land excursions where you leave the ship at one port, and rejoin at another port.

Otherwise the way to explore is the beginning port or the ending port by either getting there a few days early, or by staying a few days after the cruise. We've managed to visit San Diego, Seattle and Vancouver for the first time this way, plus re-visit Montreal.

The QV went through the Suez Canal today.

w2by4p.jpg

The QV went through the Suez Canal today.

w2by4p.jpg

Thanks.

I've have the QM2 schedule and have been following the ship online.

I forgot to check the QV. (It looks like it has a better camera as well.)

We sailed around the world on the maiden voyage of Queen Victoria. 99 days. It was a wondrous experience. Actually only 800 of us did the whole thing with the other 800 sailing only segments.

You will relish days at sea when the feeling is more relaxed. There are lectures to attend, classes to take, lolling about to do and, of course, eating. Just getting to know the ship and the crew is an experience. We count as close friends several QMII crew. Yes the shows repeat on each segment. Some we saw twice and others we did not bother. The films offered are also repeated. One can get tired of Mrs. Bucket...over and over again.

Be inventive and inquisitive. Set yourself some goals. I walked the ship three times every day before breakfast. I vowed to take pictures of every public space. I booked a haircut in the spa...actually 3. Swim and sun. Read and relax. Sit about and meet new passengers. Some are well worth meeting and the few that are not will not be worth your time.

Please really chat with your cabin steward and waiters. Get to know about them and their lives. They all have young children at home and will be delighted to show you pictures if you show any interest. They are away for so much of the time.... Another goal might be to read something you always meant to read. Visit the library! Play bridge! Tackle the daily trivia questions and us them as dinner conversation if you dine with others. Laundry and dry cleaning are expensive so you will be in the laundry room. We have met wonderful travelers there

We have not even mentioned the thrill of arriving in a new port in a new country...

If you get bored, the fault will be yours.

Enjoy every minute of it.

I am somewhat concerned for you, dearie.

Since you are new to sailing, I hate to see you spend all of your money on something that you might not like at all (aside from the fancy dress and good eats).

I would suggest a practice cruise from Dover to Calais or Dunkirk or Dippie. They only take a day and you can get a feel for the the life of a sailer. Those cruises are very casuale . . . if you have a liking for those voyages, there is not a reason wry you would't enjoy the world . . . especially with your fancy dress and the fancy food . . . imagine you and your hubby having dinner with the finest.. . It isn't not impossible.

LOL . . . I misunderstood the the word culture . . . I work in a labratory and am always feeling the cultures . . . this struck me funny once I remembered that there is a nother meaning for culture . . . but thats the hoi polloi stuff, isn't it?

Marti, I consider myself pretty hip to your moves, but this one's over my head.:confused:

I think he means that your armed forces may have inadvertently bombed the missing pyramids.

Would you like his co-ordinates? Please don't miss this time time:D.

Mary

Staff to Sir Martin

I think he means that your armed forces may have inadvertently bombed the missing pyramids.

Would you like his co-ordinates? Please don't miss this time time:D.

Mary

Staff to Sir Martin

Ah, I see now. Mixing two threads are we? (Note to self - try to keep up). This time time time, I am coming to your house myself - dark glasses and camo (commando style:cool:).

Archived