Good Shoes for Kids in Alaska

Luecke5

I am trying to figure out what kind of shoes to get for my girls when we go to Alaska in July. They are ages 17, 15, and 10. What do you recommend that is waterproof and good for walking with proper treads? I don't want to spend a fortune because they may never wear them again.

I got my 3 year old some water resistant hiking boots. We got ours at a Bass Pro store. They have a fantastic selection for all ages.

I've read that Uggs are not good since they don't provide adequate traction.

Have fun shopping! :)

I am traveling with 9, 12, & 14 yr old boys. I've been looking at Merrels

Goretex hiking shoes on ebay. They are waterproof, but expensive when you buy them new (around $65 for the younger & $110 for the older b/c they are men's sizes). Ebay has some deals if you don't mind slightly worn...

I just bought some waterproof shoes for my teenage son from Lands End for $49. He is still growing, so who knows if he'll wear them again.

I found some waterproof hiking boots on sale for my 4 yr old daughter last fall, but I don't think she'll grow into them by our June Alaska trip, so I'm back to the drawing board for her. In her case, I'm sure whatever I buy won't get worn because she'll live in sandals from the time we return from our June trip until sometime in September, and surely she will have outgrown whatever I buy for her now by then.

Any appropriate affordable suggestions for preschoolers are greatly suggested! We have 3 boat trips and do plan on hiking a bit at Mendenhall - we walk quite a bit and she can hike 2-3 miles before needing to be carried, so I need to find something for her right away so she can get them well broken in.

I am traveling with 9, 12, & 14 yr old boys. I've been looking at Merrels

Goretex hiking shoes on ebay. They are waterproof, but expensive when you buy them new (around $65 for the younger & $110 for the older b/c they are men's sizes). Ebay has some deals if you don't mind slightly worn...

I have gore-tex Merrells and I LOVE mine! I wasn't sure I wanted to spend that much for my son with his fast growing feet though, so I went with the $49 Lands End waterproof shoes for him. That jump from kids to mens is a very real and very scary sticker shock experience, isn't it? I buy my son Keen sandals every year and they literally double from kids to mens, yikes!

We got the merrell last years for DD DS last year and glad we did. You

should be able to find them online cheaper than any local store.

Shop around and figure out the model and search online for the best place and

price.

I have gore-tex Merrells and I LOVE mine! I wasn't sure I wanted to spend that much for my son with his fast growing feet though, so I went with the $49 Lands End waterproof shoes for him. That jump from kids to mens is a very real and very scary sticker shock experience, isn't it? I buy my son Keen sandals every year and they literally double from kids to mens, yikes!

Thanks for the tip on Lands End waterproof shoes - I think I'll get them for

my older 2 boys, they didn't seem to come in smaller sizes (although I looked quickly). I plan on getting myself a pair of the Merrell Goretex, since I won't be outgrowing them...I also have a 3 yr old daughter, if I find anything I'll let you know.

I've been looking today and the lowest priced brand in waterproof boots seems to be Hi-Tec, followed by Timberland. Some of the Timberland boots are work boots style that look very uncomfortable, but they do have some styles designed for hiking.

Other companies that make kids waterproof hiking shoes or boots: LL Bean, Teva, North Face, Salomon, Keen, Merrell, Geox, Primigi, Ecco, and Natruino

I think I'd prefer a waterproof shoe over a boot, but I'm not finding any deals.

If anyone sees any sales for waterproof hiking shoes, please let me know!

LANDS END Waterproof SHoes: I bought the Lands End shoes for my son and my mother and they were BOTH too small - make sure to buy one size bigger than you normally wear - seems to be a problem. I'm a bit annoyed that I have to ship back two heavy pairs of shoes because of a sizing issue on their end.

Unless you are planning to do any serious hiking, sneakers should be fine. Spray them with a little waterproofing spray if you like. Bring 2 pairs in case one gets wet and needs time to dry. My kids were younger (2, 5 & 8) when we went, but they just wore sneakers all week and were fine. Of course, we live in the Seattle area, so we're used to being out in the rain all the time. :)

I've been looking today and the lowest priced brand in waterproof boots seems to be Hi-Tec, followed by Timberland. Some of the Timberland boots are work boots style that look very uncomfortable, but they do have some styles designed for hiking.

Other companies that make kids waterproof hiking shoes or boots: LL Bean, Teva, North Face, Salomon, Keen, Merrell, Geox, Primigi, Ecco, and Natruino

I think I'd prefer a waterproof shoe over a boot, but I'm not finding any deals.

If anyone sees any sales for waterproof hiking shoes, please let me know!

LANDS END Waterproof SHoes: I bought the Lands End shoes for my son and my mother and they were BOTH too small - make sure to buy one size bigger than you normally wear - seems to be a problem. I'm a bit annoyed that I have to ship back two heavy pairs of shoes because of a sizing issue on their end.

Slightly OT, but you can return any Lands End purchase to a Sears store for a refund. I do this all the time. :)

I'm not sure how it is in other parts, but in Southern California I found so many sporting goods stores with clearance sales on winter things that boots were much cheaper than buying online. I looked at both, but ultimately I had to let my kids (10, 12 and 13) try them on because everything seems to fit differently. I bought waterproof Hi-Tec hiking boots before I went to Alaska two years ago and I love them. They were more comfortable for walking than any other shoes I have. I walked over 6 hours in Skagway and my feet never hurt and I hadn't even broken them in before the trip. I paid about $45.00 for them at Off Broadway shoes, a place in Irvine, CA. I wore two pair of socks with them because my feet are ALWAYS cold!

Archived