Can you tell me about South Frigate Bay?

cruise3l71

We are going on a cruise soon to St. Kitts. I would like some information on the things to do and what's available at South Frigate Bay? Would you recommend it? I would also like to know what a cab cost from the port to South Frigate Bay. Thank You!

Hi Cruise7131

We, myself, my wife & Daughters 14 & 10 were there last week & it was fantastic. We snorkeled 30 feet from shore along a long rock wall/coral formation that runs up & down the shore line. lots of reef fishes. Saw a lobster, held a sea spider. The beach was nice, but no frills. Quiet & uncrowded. Hardly anyone there the day we were in port. There was an old shack, not at all fancy. Just the classic shack selling cold brews & drinks, snacks, & good conversation. Lots of shells, great beach for shell collecting. We were drinking Caribs for $2.00 each. Just sat at the hut & in the sun. Umbrellas & lounge chairs were for rent. The water warm & very calm. I would suggest packing some water bottles and snacks to take with.

Oh BTW there was a port a potty there. I never used it. My wife said it was nasty.

Hope that helps

Dawg

This guy is fantastic & most reasonable too. We have used him twice & wouldn't hesitate to use him again. We have done a complete island tour w/snorkeling at the end and have done another tour more focused on snorkeling. Both tours were terrific & fun. He does a bicycling tour, a volcano hike tour. We did you family of 4 for $120.00 which included entrance fees to Brimstone Fortress, lunch, & a few Carib Beers, sodas & water.

http://www.roystontours.com/

He'll customize your tour to whatever your likes & needs

Dawg, thanks for trying to answer my questions. Any help would be appricatiated? Thanks.

I spent the day at South Frigate in December. Lots of vendors to hassle you all day long. Beach just looks dirty and the loungers are not in good condition. There are several food and drink shacks with bathrooms.

I returned to St. Kitts in February and this time wanted to check out South Friars, to see if it was any better. It rained, so didn't end doing the beach thing, did some touring instead, but I had the driver pull into South Friars so I could have a look for the next time. There isn't much there if you go to the right as you enter. I think that's the part of the beach Dawg must have gone to. But if you go left, there is a nice beach, with nice chairs, and a nice bar with facilities called Shipwreck. That's where I'll be heading on my next visit.

Cockelshell sounds nice, but I don't want to be in the same place as a pig.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in St Kitts many years ago and the taxi driver took us to a beach where there was many many local people cooking on the beach in little huts with their own "worn" cook wear etc. The smells coming from the huts were amazing - although I would not eat the food.

There also was a little white bar that sold beer and soda

any idea where this is???????????????

we will be there in October and would love to find this beach again. I rememeber the driver stopped high up on a hill where we could look down

thanks Carol

It sounds as if you were at South Friars Beach. It was very busy there in the years soon after the road opened to the SE Penisula. There was a lot of damage to the beach in the Fall of 1995 by a hurricane which caused a lot of beach erosion and destroyed many of the few palm trees that were there. There are still several small beach bars there. My favorite is Shipwreck.

Paul

thanks for the information

I guess it has been a long time

so what is your best recommendation for a beach - I was really looking forward to go back to this beach.

I also remembered the cab driver had started to take us to a beach that was before the beach I was talking about and started to go down a long long hill, I did not see anyone there and it was not pretty so I asked him to take us somewhere else which he did.

thanks Carol

thanks for the info

disappointed though that I can't go back to the most wonderful beach I have ever been on.

the smells of the food cooking were unbeliebable

carol

Archived