one day in anchorage-what to do?

kdvolfan

My mother and I will be cruising on the Carnival Spirit out of Whittier on May 25, 2005. We will be arriving in Anchorage on the day before at about 2:00 pm. Although we will be tired from a cross country flight and a four hour time change, I'd like to see some of Anchorage while we are there. We will be traveling on the Alaska Railroad to Whittier the next day. Do you recommend renting a car? What are some "must see" things in Anchorage with a limited amount of time? Should we stay in a hotel downtown or near the airport? I've pretty much got our cruise and excursions planned out. We just aren't sure what to do in Anchorage. I appreciate any suggestions.

Arriving mid-afternoon and tired, I'd say that your optiions are pretty limited. A rental car isn't needed - I'd just get a hotel downtown (where you need to be for the train anyway) and wander downtown to get the flavor of the place. Visits to the Museum of Art & History and the Oomingmak Shop (where they sell products made from the underwool of muskox - very beautiful and very Alaska!) will fill most of the time you have available.

Murray

You should definitely take the opporunity to eat some local food while you're there. If you stay downtown, I've heard a lot of really good things about the Glacier Brewhouse. We didn't have time to go downtown and eat there when we flew out of Anchorage after our Alaska cruise this past summer. There website is http://www.glacierbrewhouse.com if you want to check it out. They have a really nice menu. Plenty of seafood. But other things too if you're not big on seafood. Have a good trip.

We did eat at the Glacier Brewhouse and it was very good, especially after a long flight if you want a good meal. Just make a reservation from ahead of time, as they do get crowded and are very popular. And we just bought a muskox scarf - it was an interesting stop to make, along with the other ideas mentioned. And that should be pretty much your day. Anything else we enjoyed was a "trip" out of Anchorage, requiring a car and at least a few hours. We stayed at the Anchorage Marriott and found that very convenient - walked to everything in Anchorage and just a few dollar cab ride to the train station, which is walkable, but we had too much luggage to think about.

The Alaska Museum is really a first class museum. The second floor contains a timeline of the history of the area. It is located in the downtown area and is reachable on foot from anyplace downtown.

We ate at the Glacier Brewery and Simon and Seafort. Both were wonderful. Make a reservation ahead of time.

Do not underestimate how tired you will be. If you land at 2pm, you could easily see 4pm by time you are in your hotel room. And, dealing with getting to the train, then embarkation the next day is another challenge along with the excitement of being on the cruise ship.

But, some good ideas above that you can decide on AFTER you arrive.

Recommendation:

Stay at the Inlet Tower Hotel which is 6 blocks from downtown. This hotel is very nice and is located about 6 blocks from downtown Anchorage. This hotel has free pickup to and from the airport and downtown. The hotel also offers AARP discount if applicable. You can book your room via phone rather than using the internet which probably costs more. The hotel van driver will drop you off at the Information Center downtown. Across the street is the Green Trolley which will provide ($10.00 per person 8/04) with a narrated tour of Anchorage. The tour lasts about one hour and takes in the major sites. Also, across the street from the trolley is the Polar Souvenir Store if you want to do some early shopping. The trolley tour is worth doing and gives a nice overview of Anchorage. The Information Center as well as the hotel have booklets re:

Anchorage attractions.

Enjoy your short stay in Anchorage.:)

Kdvolfan, My husband and I will be sailing on the Spirit with you.

This will be our second trip on the Spirit Southbound Alaska. We are going to have a great time. You have been given a lot of good ideas. The Alaska Heritage Center is also interesting. They have many native displays, dancers and crafts. Since we are not going to see any big Glaciers this trip ( like Margarie in Glacier Bay or Hubbard ) I would suggest a grey line tour to see Portage Glacier and the little cruise they offer. I think it's $26.00 this year for the cruise, and the glacier is worth seeing. I don't know how much the bus ride is. You could rent a car to. The drive down to Portage is beautiful along Cooks inlet. They have mud flats, lots of birds including eagles. Goats on the hill. The bores tides if you come at the right time. You may also see a Beluga whale in the inlet. They have lots of pull offs and a walking trail. Prince William sound is beautiful to and we will see many glaciers there. I just think the glaciers that tower a 100 feet above your head and calve are more impressive.

My name is Carla and my husband is Jerry. We would love to keep in touch with you until the cruise. We can share information and ideas. This will be our 4th trip to Alaska, the 3rd cruise and my husband worked up in Anchorage in the 70's. We love the area. Carla

My husband and daughter and rest of my siblings and spouses will also be cruising with you. (we have 14 cabins booked) We are planning on flying into Anchorage the Sunday before. What should we do with the 2 extra days?

Desilu, Great to hear from you! We will have enough people for a mix and mingle party. There are so many great things to do in Alaska. Some can be $$$ , but usually worth it. We are flying in on Friday ourselves. Denali is fun. It is a long drive. 5 -6 hours if I remember right. The hwy way may be a little rough after the winter, but it was not to bad in 2003. The park bus is the best trip in my opionion. You need to get reservations through the Parks department. The road will not be open very far though. Exit Glacier out of Seward is good to see. You pay $ 5.00 per car and you can walk up to the glacier. They have some trails that go around the glacier and also one that goes into the back country. It is inexpensive and beautiful. The trail from the parking lot is paved and level almost to the glacier. Seward has the sea life center which has Puffins and other wild life to see. They had a dead giant squid on display on our last visit. I think it's about $12.00 each to get in. The Kenai River rafting trip is neat. The canyon trip has the best chance to see wild life. Fishing in the little Su or Kenai might be good. The kings come in late May and early June usually. Halibut fishing is good in May. One of my favorite things to do is the Kenai Fjords Day cruise. I like the ones that go out to Holgate arm. They cost about $120.00 each. You will see some impressive glaciers and lot's of wildlife. We saw almost 100 whales on our cruise in June 2003. We saw 6 whales in 2001 and 2 whales in 1997.

The jet boat trip in Talkeetna is fun. It was over $100.00 each. The Matanuska Glacier by Palmer is a inexpensive trip. I think they charged us $ 8.00 each to walk on the Glacier and you can go for miles. The access is private property and they charge you to a entrance fee. They didn't charge us for everyone when we went. Kids were less. I went with my cousin who lives in Anchorage, his family and his wife's family. We have done a lot in Alaska and plan on doing a lot more in years to come. What is your activity level, budget, and what are you interested in. We are in our 40's and early 50's and love wildlife and the outdoors. We have done river rafting, kayaking, hiking, fishing and other tours. We should see lot's of moose with their young this time of year. You might check out the tour saver coupon book to see if it will save you money. They have a lot of 2 for 1 offers. I have seen the address on this web site. Keep in touch. I havn't done much research yet this year. I am busy with the holidays now. Carla

Archived