I really hate to inquire but..

tcha

I've waited all day on the cabin selection board and had 0 responses. We have an opportunity to move from an obstructed balcony(5159) on the Legend. The cabin offered is 7260. It looks like it is configured differently. The pvp said it was reconfigured but did not have any more info. Would this really be a step up? Thanks to all.

I've waited all day on the cabin selection board and had 0 responses. We have an opportunity to move from an obstructed balcony(5159) on the Legend. The cabin offered is 7260. It looks like it is configured differently. The pvp said it was reconfigured but did not have any more info. Would this really be a step up? Thanks to all.

I'm new to CCL so not sure but until someone with more knowledge on the room answers, have you googled the ship name and the room number under Images in Google?

Maybe someone, somewhere has taken a picture of the room and posted it.

Here's the description of 7260...

Cabin 7260 (8H OSTW) 185/175 sq ft

Beds: twin/king rab:0

View: window and large balcony connecting balconies: yes

TV; telephone; 110 AC current; individual climate control; hair dryer; wall safe; minibar; 3-closets; shower; chair and coffee table.

Note: Cabin is modified for wheelchair users.

As you can see, this cabin has a MASSIVE balcony... 175 sq ft and is configured for use by a person in a wheel chair.

As long as no handicapped person needs it, sounds like it's a great upgrade!!!

:)

Guest TropicOne

I checked out the deck plans and it does look like an upgrade.7260 has a much longer balcony which is not obstructed according to the deck plan.

Thanks so much to all of you who responded! We did make the switch tonight. I would never have done it without all of you.It did cost $160 extra but I think we will really enjoy the large balcony. I'll just drink fewer DODs to help the finances.I'll surely write a review and if my kids will help me, send pictures.

Thanks so much to all of you who responded! We did make the switch tonight. I would never have done it without all of you.It did cost $160 extra but I think we will really enjoy the large balcony. I'll just drink fewer DODs to help the finances.I'll surely write a review and if my kids will help me, send pictures.

When does your cruise go out? Handicapped cabins should only be released to able boded cruisers at Final payment time or approx 60 days prior to departure. If this is the case. Enjoy this cabin. if not may I suggest moving so someone who is in a wheelchair can enjoy the ability to cruise. There are very few of these special cabins. These are the only cabins that have a wider doorway so a wheelchair can enter the room. It also has a special bathroom with a roll in shower and a shower bench for handicapped cruisers.

My mother is handicapped and I usually have to book a year in advance to be able to find an available handicapped cabin. Also I need to submit medical certification to Carnival to be able to book this kind of cabin.

When does your cruise go out? Handicapped cabins should only be released to able boded cruisers at Final payment time or approx 60 days prior to departure. If this is the case. Enjoy this cabin. if not may I suggest moving so someone who is in a wheelchair can enjoy the ability to cruise. There are very few of these special cabins. These are the only cabins that have a wider doorway so a wheelchair can enter the room. It also has a special bathroom with a roll in shower and a shower bench for handicapped cruisers.

My mother is handicapped and I usually have to book a year in advance to be able to find an available handicapped cabin. Also I need to submit medical certification to Carnival to be able to book this kind of cabin.

Have no fear about a handicapped person not getting an appropriate cabin.

We had this discussion about seven or so months ago. I contacted one of the VPs at Carnival who assured me that any person who has a demonstrable handicap will be provided an accessible cabin even if it requires moving someone out of that cabin and into another...

Am i correct in saying though that if the OP takes this room and then a handicapped person needs it then she can be bumped?

Handicapped cruisers wish this was true but very rarely is it. Once a handicapped cabin is booked it is out of inventory and unsellable whether booked by a AB person or a HC person. Therefore very rarely are AB bumped out of HC cabins.

Ask Mach. He had to contact a Cruise director and the powers that be at Carnival to help a disabled cruiser obtain a handicapped cabin that was booked by AB pax. Carnival had previously told this disabled cruiser 'sorry not available' because it was booked by able bodied cruisers.

Very sad that handicapped cruisers need to compete with able bodied cruisers for the very few handicapped cabins that there are.

After final payment of course any HC cabins that are unsold are open to be booked by anyone, which is only fair.

We had this discussion about seven or so months ago. I contacted one of the VPs at Carnival who assured me that any person who has a demonstrable handicap will be provided an accessible cabin even if it requires moving someone out of that cabin and into another...

Yeah right, pull the other one.

This keeps being said over and over and it is not true.

I am not a Carnival cruiser but my experience as a handicapped cruiser is that once booked, an accessible is out of inventory for everyone. It is possible you might get a rep to physically call each person booked in an accessible and make sure that they need it but I have never seen it done nor have read of it here on the disabled forum. At best I've heard of people shifting after boarding but then that prevents someone who absolutely needs it because they are in a wheelchair from ever getting there as they can't physically use a non-accessible so would never book.

I would love to think a line has stepped up to the plate and doing the right thing but I fear you were just told what should be done rather than what is currently in practice.

Umbarger,I have been feeling terrible to take this cabin. We are cruising next Sunday. I would gladly move to defer to a person who needs this cabin. My family has handicapped people. I would never jump in front to take their spot.The pvp told me that if someone needed the cabin that we would be moved.

Umbarger,I have been feeling terrible to take this cabin. We are cruising next Sunday. I would gladly move to defer to a person who needs this cabin. My family has handicapped people. I would never jump in front to take their spot.The pvp told me that if someone needed the cabin that we would be moved.

With a sail date that close, don't concern yourself! If it makes you feel better tell the customer service desk once on board you would be willing to move if discovered someone really needed that cabin for other guests and they had a cabin available to suit your needs.

I agree with other disabled cruisers, able bodied people are never moved from accessible cabins. You are cruising next Sunday. don't worry about it...............Enjoy!!!! There has been plenty of time since final payment for someone who needs an accessible cabin to book it. I, personally need wheelchair accessible cabins, but I would book before final payment, or maybe right at final payment to see if anyone has cancelled, but a week before..............hey, it's all yours!!!!

Have a great cruise!

I am not a Carnival cruiser but my experience as a handicapped cruiser is that once booked, an accessible is out of inventory for everyone. It is possible you might get a rep to physically call each person booked in an accessible and make sure that they need it but I have never seen it done nor have read of it here on the disabled forum. At best I've heard of people shifting after boarding but then that prevents someone who absolutely needs it because they are in a wheelchair from ever getting there as they can't physically use a non-accessible so would never book.

I would love to think a line has stepped up to the plate and doing the right thing but I fear you were just told what should be done rather than what is currently in practice.

I can assure you that it has happened.

Someone will book a specific cabin, the 1A handicap in particular, and get bumped out of them.

It's not a rare occurence...

Thank you,I feel a bit better, however, I will go the customer service when we get on to tell them that we are willing to move to another cabin to help anyone who needs this one.

And I suppose you believe everything the VP says. Of course he is going to say that. It wouldn't sound very good if he said the Handicapped cruisers were out of luck would it? That is what all cruise lines say.....that they will bump pax.......but do they do it......NO.

And if that is the case shouldn't you be telling the OP that he may be 'bumped' out of his wonderful extended balcony cabin?

And if what the VP says is true why did you have to contact a cruise director who then contacted the higher ups at carnival to get them to vacate a HC cabin booked by able bodied pax so a handicapped child could cruise?

And if what the VP says is true why were the above handicapped cruisers told "not available" when they called to get a HC cabin?

Do you think that a AB cruiser that books a extended balcony handicapped cabin and then gets on the ship to be bumped to a regular non extended balcony cabin is going to be happy? In my opinion they are going to throw a fit!

Gosh, I wish all handicapped cruisers knew we could 'bump' AB cruisers out of HC cabins. Funny how we are always told "not available". :rolleyes:

Umbarger,I have been feeling terrible to take this cabin. We are cruising next Sunday. I would gladly move to defer to a person who needs this cabin. My family has handicapped people. I would never jump in front to take their spot.The pvp told me that if someone needed the cabin that we would be moved.[/quote

You need not feel terrible. That is why I asked when you were cruising. You have every right to book this cabin. Enjoy your cruise. I have seen this cabin and the balcony is huge. :D

Thanks Umbarger. My mother was blind from the time I was 8 years old. I do know the plight of the handicapped. I would never want to take this cabin from a handicapped person. My mom had retinitis pigmintosa. I do have this disease also, but not as bad as she. I don't need a large room, balcony, or shower. I wish I had just left my reservation alone.Although, it has alerted me to some issues that need to be addressed.

I can assure you that it has happened.

Someone will book a specific cabin, the 1A handicap in particular, and get bumped out of them.

It's not a rare occurence...

Do you honestly think Carnival is going to call every person booked in a HC cabin and ask them if they are handicapped or able bodied. For one this is not a legal question to ask. Second this is impossible. They don't have the man power to do this. They are going to have to hire a whole new dept to continually switch AB's out of HC cabins.

Sure, Mach, Believe whatever Carnival tells you.

**I say that all handicapped cruisers should contact Mach to get handicapped accessible cabins on Carnival when we are told 'not available' Perhaps then he might believe us handicapped cruisers instead of Carnival.

Thanks Umbarger. My mother was blind from the time I was 8 years old. I do know the plight of the handicapped. I would never want to take this cabin from a handicapped person. My mom had retinitis pigmintosa. I do have this disease also, but not as bad as she. I don't need a large room, balcony, or shower. I wish I had just left my reservation alone.Although, it has alerted me to some issues that need to be addressed.

I say again, enjoy your cabin and your cruise and don't worry about this issue any longer. You should feel no guilt. However, if you want to, make the pursers desk aware. Then you have done everything you can. :D

To alert people to handicapped issues that need to be addressed is good. :D I just wish the cruiselines would address these issues and not just say they are.

DO NOT FEEL TERRIBLE, go and enjoy!!! When booking, you did not book a handicapped cabin to steal it away from a traveler who needed it just so you could get a bigger balcony. That would be terrible. You booked a regular cabin, then CARNIVAL CALLED YOU shortly before your sail date to say this cabin was sailing empty. As a person who has (and had) handicapped people in their immediate family, I can understand the problem with handicapped facilities. However, this OP is sailing in a week and if a handicapped person didn't book by that point, they certainly can't expect that days before a sailing a cabin should be available to them.

I reiderate, no one should be allowed to book a handicapped cabin, say prior to a month before sailing, unless they submit a form (similar to the ones to get a handicapped tag for car) to the cruiselines. One you're weeks before a sailing, then any cabin should be filled by whomever. Just my opinion....

Archived