Ruins Excursion

Ljp5365

In your opinion, where are the best ruins? We want to take a Carnival Excursion to see ruins, but not sure where.

Cozumel

Roatan

Belize

Costa Maya

I didn't post this on the port boards, since I didn't know which would be best.

In your opinion, where are the best ruins? We want to take a Carnival Excursion to see ruins, but not sure where.

Cozumel

Roatan

Belize

Costa Maya

I didn't post this on the port boards, since I didn't know which would be best.

The best ruins are probably Chichen Itza, not doable on a 1 day cruise stop except by charter airplane.

There are 2 decent sites within distance in Costa Maya. One is a 1 1/2 hour bus ride each way (if I recall ) and one is 2 1/2 bus ride each way.

Just goggle Mayan ruins near Costa Maya, should come up...

We did the Tulum ruins tour out of Cozumel. We enjoyed it very much. This is not really my favorite thing to do, more for the husband, but even I thought is was interesting. I would do it again if given the chance. You could do it on your own, but because of the time it takes to do the tour, go with the ship one. We actually were in Cozumel for a week on a diving vacation and went on our own, but we saw lots of folks there from ship tours.

The tour guides are knowledgeable. Be sure to ask questions, because they have lots of information and may not put everything out. Good luck.

Eileen

I went to the ruins in Tulum (which I think is the excursions offered through Carnival) in October and it was a lot of fun. It was really interesting and we enjoyed ourselves. However, we were staying in Cancun at the time and it was still probably an hour and a half bus ride each way from our hotel to the ruins. SO, I assume it would take considerably longer from Cozumel (as a ferry AND a bus would be involved). If I were you I would save this trip for a longer stay in Mexico and go see the ruins in a different country during your cruise.

My husband did Chitzin Itza, but it was from Progresso.

We did Altun Ha (Altun Ha Mayan Site & River Wallace excursion) when in Belize last time and was surprised how big the site was. (Nothing like Chitzin...but still nice all the same.)

The best ruins are probably Chichen Itza, not doable on a 1 day cruise stop except by charter airplane.

We're visiting the Chicken Itza ruins on a 1 day stop from Progreso (on the Holiday). The ride by bus is about 2 1/2 hours, so we will have about 1 1/2 hours there at the ruins. That may not be enough time, depending on how in-depth you want to explore, though.

When we took a Western Caribbean cruise, we visited Chichen Itza when we stopped at Progresso. We didn't have a lot of time there, though it was so terribly hot (end of April), I ended up with a terrible bout of heat exhaustion. Though I was really sick for the next 24 hours, I will never forget seeing such amazing history....

Uxmal is the best. A wonderful collection of different buildings and structurs that you can still walk through and climb on, and not roped off.

It was featured a few years ago in National Geographic magazine as one of the premier ruins sites in a report they did on the Mayans.

:cool:

Like the others, I really liked the Tulum excursion and have been there twice. There is much to see and it is the type of tour that is rather unique. There will be considerable walking even though it is rated as a one on the one to five scale. One thing to consider is that it is usually very hot there and with considerable sun. Prepare accordingly. Bring lots of water.

We did the Chitzen Itza ruins from Progresso/Merida (sp?) Mexico about 5-6 years ago and it was great! I climbed a Mayan temple! It was a long bus ride and yes extremely hot! we were there beginning of may - my head was so sun burned - wear cool clothes, comfortable shoes and a hat! Bring water! But it is something is a must do. Thats whats so great about crusing - Ive done so many things I'd probably never have done otherwise.

Climbed to the top of a mayan temple! Swam with stingrays! Snorkeled in Belize! (2nd biggest reef in the world!) Kissed a Dolphin!

We're visiting the Chicken Itza ruins on a 1 day stop from Progreso (on the Holiday). The ride by bus is about 2 1/2 hours, so we will have about 1 1/2 hours there at the ruins. That may not be enough time, depending on how in-depth you want to explore, though.

We did the Carnival excursion from Progreso to Chichen Itza.

We stayed with the guide and he spent most of the time at the ball court and there was so much that we did not see.

Most of what the guide said I could have learned from books at home.

If I had it to do again, I would study up on the site before the trip and then see as much as I could in the time allowed.

That wouldn't be enough time except to possibly jog through the ruins. Chichen Itza is huge and even 3 hours onsite would be a very, very brief glimpse. We were lucky enough to spend a day there and the night at the Mayaland Resort and think that is the best way to go.

That wouldn't be enough time except to possibly jog through the ruins. Chichen Itza is huge and even 3 hours onsite would be a very, very brief glimpse. We were lucky enough to spend a day there and the night at the Mayaland Resort and think that is the best way to go.

That would be ideal, but sometimes we have to do the possible when the opportunity presents.

Just to see the pyramid is worth the bus ride.

I've seen four Mayan sites and I think that I saw them in the right order.

First Tulum, incredibly beautiful site. And the temple on the cliff is truly majestic.

Next I saw Dzibilchaltun, also beautiful and you can climb and explore.

Third was Chichen Itza, incredible even with the peddlers.

And the fourth was Uxmal which I believe is the most beautiful of the four.

That would be ideal, but sometimes we have to do the possible when the opportunity presents.

Just to see the pyramid is worth the bus ride.

I've seen four Mayan sites and I think that I saw them in the right order.

First Tulum, incredibly beautiful site. And the temple on the cliff is truly majestic.

Next I saw Dzibilchaltun, also beautiful and you can climb and explore.

Third was Chichen Itza, incredible even with the peddlers.

And the fourth was Uxmal which I believe is the most beautiful of the four.

The different buildings and the detailed stone work are amazing at Uxmal.

http://locogringo.com/past_spotlights/nov2001.html

Add my vote for Uxmal! I loved Uxmal so much when I visited there last year that I booked my upcoming Ecstasy cruise strictly with the goal of visiting Uxmal again. It is true that your time at the ruins is not long enough to fully explore the site. However, you can see and do a lot in the time allowed. You will be allowed to climb several structures, and I found it amazing to go into the rooms where they lived and/or conducted their "business", worship, or whatever they did there. The bad news is that, to my knowledge, the only cruise port that offers excursions to Uxmal is Progreso.

I have also been to Tulum from Cozumel and Chacchoben from Costa Maya. These two sites are very different, but each has their unique features that make them special. I would visit either of them again. Tulum is more spread out, which involves more walking, with little to no shade to escape the Mexican sun and few places to sit and rest. The view from the cliff at Tulum is absolutely breath taking! You are not allowed to touch or climb on any of the structures at Tulum. Many of the structures have been damaged, to the point of being little more than a pile of crumbled rocks. Only a few are mostly intact.

Chacchoben is unique in that it has not been fully excavated. You will see huge mounds, under which are hidden pyramids and structures yet to be explored. I find that fascinating. Where Tulum is out in the open with little shade, Chacchoben is almost completely shaded by huge, beautiful palm trees. The number of structures that have been restored is fewer than at Tulum. However, where the structures of Tulum have much damage from looters looking for gold (which was never there), Chacchoben has escaped such damage. Therefore, to me, Chacchoben is the "prettier" of the two sites. I dearly loved walking under those huge palms!!

With that said, I would rate the 3 Mayan ruins that I have visited as:

1. Uxmal

2. Chacchoben

3. Tulum

You are right about Tulum being hot.

It is just about the hottest place I have ever been.

I am from Memphis, so I know hot and humid, but wow...Tulum...

It was 92 degrees, but it was an incredibly hot 92.

I looked unsuccessfully for a place to sit in the shade.

But it was still worth seeing.

Belize has some amazing mayan ruins. The smallest and closest is Altun Ha (and three of the temples are climbable, unlike most in Mexico are NOT climbable). They also have Xunantunich that is a fairly long 2 hour drive there and back.

I'd like to see Chichen Itza and Uxmal, but they would have to be done on a land visit where one could spend ALL day there. I want to see Caracol, Tikal, Lamani, Xunantunich, and any other Mayan ruins in Belize!!! I guess one day I will do that, but not until the cruising bug has left me...

Belize has some amazing mayan ruins. The smallest and closest is Altun Ha (and three of the temples are climbable, unlike most in Mexico are NOT climbable). They also have Xunantunich that is a fairly long 2 hour drive there and back.

I'd like to see Chichen Itza and Uxmal, but they would have to be done on a land visit where one could spend ALL day there. I want to see Caracol, Tikal, Lamani, Xunantunich, and any other Mayan ruins in Belize!!! I guess one day I will do that, but not until the cruising bug has left me...

I definitely agree that it would be optimal to visit Chichen Itza and Uxmal on a land based trip, in order to spend more time there. However, I absolutely loved the time spent at Uxmal last year when I went there from Progreso on an Ecstasy cruise. In fact, one week from today, I WILL be at Uxmal again! WOOHOO!!! :D Therefore, given the choice between waiting for a "some day" land based trip to the Yucatan and visiting these ruins for a couple of hours from a cruise, I say GO from the cruise while you can! Although you will leave there with a thirst for more, you will have experienced the amazing beauty and history of these sites. Then hopefully, you can return some day to spend the day or however long you want, on a land based trip. But if you never have that opportunity, at least you will have visited these fabulous Mayan ruins from a cruise. I have yet to see Chichen Itza, but SOME DAY I hope to do that land based tour to see them ALL.....

We visited Altun Ha last August - at that time, we were only allowed to climb on one of the temples. The site is very beautiful, and worth the bus ride out. We booked the excursion through Carnival (first time, cowardly cruisers!), and really enjoyed the trip. We had two guides - the first talked about Belize history, and modern day culture information while we were on the bus. The second did the talking while we toured the site. While the second guide wasn't the most exciting in the world, he was knowledgeable and did keep us in the shade as much of the time as possible, unlike many other guides who kept folks standing the in full sun for long periods of time. Do bring plenty of water, whichever site you choose!

I definitely agree that it would be optimal to visit Chichen Itza and Uxmal on a land based trip, in order to spend more time there. However, I absolutely loved the time spent at Uxmal last year when I went there from Progreso on an Ecstasy cruise. In fact, one week from today, I WILL be at Uxmal again! WOOHOO!!! :D Therefore, given the choice between waiting for a "some day" land based trip to the Yucatan and visiting these ruins for a couple of hours from a cruise, I say GO from the cruise while you can! Although you will leave there with a thirst for more, you will have experienced the amazing beauty and history of these sites. Then hopefully, you can return some day to spend the day or however long you want, on a land based trip. But if you never have that opportunity, at least you will have visited these fabulous Mayan ruins from a cruise. I have yet to see Chichen Itza, but SOME DAY I hope to do that land based tour to see them ALL.....

A lot of people do Chichen Itza as a day excursion while staying in Cancun. I can't recommend strongly enough to allow a full day and hopefully stay overnight at the Mayaland. Getting to see their night show was nice but waking up in the area in the morning was magical. Also, there are some great caving and ceynote opportunities nearby.

I was just at Tulum last Wednesday. I am so thankful that Mexico was in the middle of a cool spell. The temp was in the low 80's. Our guide even had on long sleeves and pants. He said the average temp at Tulum is 110 to 115 degrees. I have also been to Altan Ha in Belize and Cachobbean in Costa Maya. They are all magnificient. Tulum is right on the ocean, Cachobbean and Altan Ha is more in the jungle. Whichever one you choose, just enjoy and go for it. I have always book through Carnival. When I travel that far inland I am always afraid I will miss the ship!

Archived