Just back from Caribbean Princess 4-5 - 4-12

Sailor Gal

Quick overview. Had a wonderful time aboard Caribbean Princess April 5-12. This is our 6th Princess cruise and the best food and service we've received so far from Princess. Purchased future cruise credit for upcoming Nov cruise on Ruby. We had a Baja balcony cabin. Balcony and shower were pretty small. Shows and entertainment in general were lacking this trip but piano entertainer was fantastic. Princess master chef was on board and did the cooking show which was a treat. Ship sailed smoothly. I had read where it was really a rocky ship - so this was a welcome relief. MUTS during the day got on my nerves and IMO takes away from the cruise experience but it was nice at night and we did take in a movie. Pool games were new and entertaining. We received smiles and helpful attitude all around the ship and any time we needed info or asked a question we got a prompt response. (Ex. ordered 3 copies of a photo and only 2 were delivered to our room. Oversight corrected as soon as reported. Shower drain stopped up - maintenance came within minutes of reporting problem. Luggage tags wrong color for our desired departure time - went to desk and got new time tickets on the spot.) Crown Grill was the best. Food and service were superb. Here's what we did in ports: Aruba - half day jeep tour with ABC jeeps - very good. Loved natural pool. Bonaire: Woodwind snorkel on trimaran - excellent snorkeling and service was impeccable. Grenada: Went to Morne Rouge beach - which was just ok. Didn't care much for this port. Dirty and didn't feel all that safe walking around. Dominica: Took Antours trip which included Emerald Pool (beautiful), Mr. Nice Fruit Stand (could have done without this), and Layou river tubing - a blast!! St Thomas: Private day sail on Island Girl - awesome day and loved the power snorkels. Looking forward to next Princess cruise!

Hi!

I'm glad you had a great trip. We are planning to be on the Caribbean Princess in June. If you remember, can you tell me what production shows were being performed and the name of the piano player? Also, was there trivia at night as well as during the day?

Thanks, Reggie

Hi;

Glad to see your review as things were beginning to sound negative on this site and we have been a little nervous. We sail on her June 2nd so it is getting close.

One quick question... can you please explain the cruise credit you purchased. What is this all about? This is the first time I have heard about such a thing.

If we like the ship we intend to sail on her again in Sept for the East Coast/ Canada trip.

Thanks very much.

Wilfros: Future cruise credit can be purchased onboard any ship during your cruise. There is a future cruise consultant desk onboard and the hours will be posted in the Princess Patter. You will also receive "junk mail" during the cruise that explains the benefits in detail. To summarize you can pay $100 per person (charged to any credit card you like). That amount is attached to your Captain Circle number and any travel agent can see that and apply to a future cruise. The $100 goes toward your deposit on a future cruise (must be used within 4 years or you can ask for a full refund if you don't cruise in 4 years). It gives you $100 deposit and entitlement to shipboard credit as well. The amount of shipboard credit varies depending on the length of the cruise and the cabin category. For example we are going on a 10 day cruise next in a balcony cabin and we get $100 shipboard credit. If you were to book a 7-9 day cruise you would receive $25 shipboard credit. So for the two of us we charged $200 ($100 pp) and $200 will be applied to the price of our Nov cruise and we will also receive $200 shipboard credit. All this is in addition to any other promos your travel agent offers when you book. When we booked with our travel agent we already had $50 shipboard credit per person. Future cruise credits are good if you plan to cruise Princess again within 4 years.

Thanks for the great response. I appreciate it very much and (I think) it is now more clear to me.

We hope to sail again on her in Sept up to Canada, so this might be the answer. I will watch for the promos on the ship and go talk to the agent.

Princess master chef was on board and did the cooking show which was a treat!

On my Grand cruise the Master Chef was on board.

He did a show and allowed us to taste four different entrees'.

Plus he gave us a tour of the galley and had a question & answer decision.

All for free!!!

Hope the Chef is on my CB cruise in Aug.

That would be a nice treat!!!!

Thanks for the review. We will be on the CB in less than 2 weeks. What movies are they playing on MUTS? Also, what nights were the formal nights on?

Did they crew say anything about the next 2 weeks when the ship is going to be in Trinidad?

If you remember, can you tell me what production shows were being performed...

I was on CB from March 22 to April 5 and experienced the same menu and entertainment cycle twice, so I can answer this one.

There were three production shows spaced out over each 7-day leg: "Do You Wanna Dance?", "Caribbean Caliente", and "Piano Man". The first and third shows repeated the following night. I thought they were all pretty good, and the singers better than the ones I saw on Emerald last summer (although, as a 12-night itinerary that cruise had a LOT more shows/variety and no next-day repeats).

What movies are they playing on MUTS? Also, what nights were the formal nights on?

The movies I can remember off the top of my head were "The Secret Life Of Bees", "Twilight" (at midnight, natch), "Bee Movie", "The Love Guru", and "Get Smart". The slightly older ones were played during the day, and newer releases at night. They also played "Slumdog Millionaire" and "Benjamin Button" in the Princess Theatre, the former at 10 PM and the latter at 2 PM on separate days.

I think the first formal night was the 2nd night since it was a sea day -- it may have been the 3rd night though, I'm not 100% sure now (even though I went through the same menu cycle twice in a row). I just remember the 1st formal night's menu was nothing special. The 2nd, more memorable formal night was on the Friday (6th night); the menu included baked escargots and lobster tail.

Formal nights were Monday and Friday. Movies were: Alvin & the Chipmunks; Baby Mama; Indiana Jones and the Kingdom; Crystal Skulls; Christina Aguilera in Concedrt; Secret Life of Bees; The Nanny Diaries; Dan in Real Life; Must Love Dogs; Cirque De Solei; Kung Fu Panda; Seven Pounds; Ghost Town; The Love Guru; Swing Vote; Bedtime Stories; Revlutionary Road; Tina Turner Concert; Bob Marley Concert; Barry Manilow Concert; Hancock; Grease; RV; Mad Money; Beverly Hills Chihuahua; The Yes Man; The Rocky Horror Picture Show; No Reservations; 27 Dresses; Australia; Igor; Doubt; Body of Lies; Lady and the Tramp; The Golden Age; Mamma Mia; Last Chance Harvey; Valkyrie; The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Formal nights were Monday and Friday. Movies were: Alvin & the Chipmunks; Baby Mama; Indiana Jones and the Kingdom; Crystal Skulls; Christina Aguilera in Concedrt; Secret Life of Bees; The Nanny Diaries; Dan in Real Life; Must Love Dogs; Cirque De Solei; Kung Fu Panda; Seven Pounds; Ghost Town; The Love Guru; Swing Vote; Bedtime Stories; Revlutionary Road; Tina Turner Concert; Bob Marley Concert; Barry Manilow Concert; Hancock; Grease; RV; Mad Money; Beverly Hills Chihuahua; The Yes Man; The Rocky Horror Picture Show; No Reservations; 27 Dresses; Australia; Igor; Doubt; Body of Lies; Lady and the Tramp; The Golden Age; Mamma Mia; Last Chance Harvey; Valkyrie; The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Thanks!!!!

I thought the shows at the Princess Theater were excellant and didn't mind that they were done twice. It gave us a chance to see something else the second nightthat we might have missed while we were at the show the first night. don't be afraid to try new foods because if you don't care for it, you can just ask for something else. They do not consider this strange at all as a matter of fact our witer encouraged us. Lemonade if free.Aruba is very windy. We took the tour of the island in Bonair and saw lots of flamingos and wild donkeys. It is very poor. We like our tour in Grenda which was The rumn factory and spice tour..very interest. The roads are steep, windy, and a bit scary though. The view was beautiful from Paridise Point in St. Thomas but the parrot showw was s0-s0 but the kids really enjoyed it.

Archived