Got Pan Pacific Vancouver on Hotwire! Now I need restaurant help!

riggins

Hi everyone-

I rolled the dice today on Hotwire and was able to get 2 rooms the Pan Pacific in Vancouver for $164/night in June. I am thrilled because we really wanted to stay there and with my group, I think the convenience will be priceless.

But now I need some help with restaurants. We will be there just for one night before our cruise and I need a breakfast and dinner recommendation. I'm looking for things that are casual and close to the hotel. We are a group of 7 - 4 adults, and 3 kids, ages 6, 7, and 8. My dad has issues with walking long distances, so that combined with having three kids in tow, I'd ideally like to find something within a block or two of the hotel. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should we just eat at the hotel or is there something close that you'd recommend?

Thanks

Leslie

As I remember there are a few stores and a food court accross the street and one level below the street. You can get there from the hotel through a tunel or walk accross the street and then down the steeps.

Yes, there is a food court across the street from Canada Place. There is a McDonald's, Tim Horton's, and Ricky's which would be good for breakfast. As for dinner, within a couple of blocks, there is an Elephant & Castle, Steamworks, Moose's Downunder, Cactus Club, Joey's Grill, the Keg and TC Lion's Pub (although I don't know whether kids are allowed).

I'm sure others will pipe in soon. These are the ones that popped into my head. I work in the area. Moose's is one of our favourite lunch spots which also happen to do breakfast & dinner; inexpensive good food.

Yes, there is a food court across the street from Canada Place. There is a McDonald's, Tim Horton's, and Ricky's which would be good for breakfast. As for dinner, within a couple of blocks, there is an Elephant & Castle, Steamworks, Moose's Downunder, Cactus Club, Joey's Grill, the Keg and TC Lion's Pub (although I don't know whether kids are allowed).

I'm sure others will pipe in soon. These are the ones that popped into my head. I work in the area. Moose's is one of our favourite lunch spots which also happen to do breakfast & dinner; inexpensive good food.

+1 for Moose's. Shhh dont tell everyone. It's already tough to get a spot there at Lunchtime on Fridays..

What icons are unique to getting the Pan Pacific? I know that certain hotels can be distinguished with certain icons.

I am just now searching for a hotel for Sept. in Vancouver and would love the Pan Pacific.

Dining: last year we had a good meal at Steamworks for dinner.

While a block to two longer walk - the Old Spaghetti Factory in Gastown is inexpensive and the kids will love it - there is an old original street car in the middle of the restaurant that actually saw serve on the streets here in Vancouver - while I don't remember that particular car I am old enough to have ridden them when I was a kid.

http://www.oldspaghettifactory.ca/location_vancouver.html

Agree with Moose Down Under for breakfast but they can be busy on weekdays - don't know about weekends but since they are located in the heart of the financial district they are less likely to be busy on weekends.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy your visit to Vancouver

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks everyone for the great advice. The restaurants at the Pan Pacific looked great, but not especially kid-friendly, so I'm thrilled that there are so many choices.

What icons are unique to getting the Pan Pacific? I know that certain hotels can be distinguished with certain icons.

I used advice I found on BetterBidding.com which helped a lot. After reviewing all the info on that site, it seemed that the only 5* hotels in "Downtown West" Vancouver that anyone was getting on Hotwire were Pan Pacific and Sutton Place. The regular Sutton Place hotel shows a "golf" icon and was popping up a lot for $95. Sutton Place- La Grand Residence was also being reported, but it had ammenities like kitchen/condo that were kind of a dead give-away. Then I saw $164 for a 5* that didn't have "golf" or condo features. It just listed Restaurant, Pool, Fitness Center, Internet Access, Business Center, and Spa. I couldn't find any reports of anyone recently getting Pan Pacific, so I was nervous, but I was fairly certain it wasn't Sutton Place. Since Pan Pacific was the only other 5* that anyone using Hotwire had gotten, I gambled and was thrilled when it came up. I'd have cried if it was some other downtown hotel and I could have gotten Sutton Place for only $95! For what its worth, Pan Pacific wasn't popping up consistently for my dates. It seemed to want to give me the $95 Sutton Place most of the time (which is a great deal too). I changed my dates and number of rooms a few times and was able to get Pan Pacific to show (all within about 15 minutes time). So you might want to play around a little if you don't think you see it.

Good Luck!

Leslie

+1 for Moose's. Shhh dont tell everyone. It's already tough to get a spot there at Lunchtime on Fridays..

The key is to go after the crowd (1:15 or so). I'll be going to lunch there tomorrow.... mmmm :)

We stayed there last Sept pre-cruise. Best hotel and service ever and the luxury of just giving them your luggage at check and it goes straight to the ship.

The Aqua Riva is a nice resturant right across the street from the PP. If you have a Vancouver Entertainment book there will be several coupons for Aqua Riva and other restaurants in that area.

Grace was right we had a very nice meal at Steamworks also and it's just around the corner within walking distance. Barb:D

P.S. Grace, how are you and Tom? Dale and I got the PP thru one of their online specials close to sail date. They change them periodically throughout the year. It was 30% off a two nite stay and free breakfast for about $164 a nite.

Hi Barb...good to see you posting here, and that you and Dale have a few nice cruises in the future.

I remember checking the pricing last year at the Pan Pac. I don't see any good deals yet for our dates, but will certainly keep on looking. Tom really liked the area of the hotel, but we are not sailing from Canada Place. The ship leaves from Ballantyne. No big deal, but not quite as nice as just walking down stairs to the ship.

I recall that the deal at the hotel was a Cruise Special, or something like that?

Grace:

We got the Pan Pacific thru Hotwire several weeks ago, and we're also staying in September. Like the OP, I looked for the icons stated, and steered clear of the golf icon, or anything having to do with "condos". I held my breath, and when it came up Pan Pacific @ $150 per room (we needed two rooms), I screamed! I was so excited, because everything I had read made this hotel sound like the place to stay.

Keep trying! Good Luck!

Dru

Congratulations on getting the Pan Pacific! We've stayed there before both of our Alaska cruises and love it. Great location and fabulous hotel.

If you don't want to stray too far, I'll recommend the restaurant inside the hotel, the Cafe Pacifica. Lunch may be a little frou-frou for little kids, but try breakfast here. The breakfast buffet is delicious, many different options (made to order omelettes, lox, fresh breads and muffins) and decently priced for all you get. Enjoy the Pan Pacific!

The key is to go after the crowd (1:15 or so). I'll be going to lunch there tomorrow.... mmmm :)

OK, now I'm salivating over a Moose's Soup and Salad (which is friggin huge), I may have to go there tomorrow too..

Archived