Rome Hotel

So I've seen a lot of great recommendations for hotels in Rome. Sadly, most seem to be a bit out of our price range. So, my question is this...

Is it possible to find a nice hotel near the attractions (Colosseum, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain, or Spanish Steps areas) that is less than $200USD per night?

My definition of nice is somewhere clean and on par with a well-rated Hilton or Hyatt in the US.

I was going to say, yes, you can get something nice and clean for less than $200 near the attractions

But than I read your comparison: No, you will not find any hotel like a Hilton or Hyatt. You will not find it not only for that price but you will not find it all in that area.

Two reasons:

- This is a very historic area. Streets and buildings are old. Most hotels are much smaller than you might expect it.

- This is Europe, this is Italy. Traditionally hotels are different from American chain hotels.

There are hotels like the Hilton further outside.

Well, I think its difficult to compare a Rome hotel with a Hilton or Hyatt.... but I stayed at the Hotel Villa San Pio and thought it was excellent. Its a bit of a hike from the attractions but I think pretty doable. I think its about a 20 minute walk from the Collessuem and I got an excellent rate in the middle of the summer through www.venere.com

(Disclaimer: I am from a city and walk/use public transport everywhere - so I'm totally fine walking distances. If you aren't, this might seem a bit far for you)

I agree with carlmm: you CAN find a good, clean, reasonable hotel for that price. You CANNOT find one that will compare with a Hilton or Hyatt at that price. Please get rid of the idea of an American-style hotel room. Rooms in Rome are small and pricey.

Please get rid of the idea of an American-style hotel room. Rooms in Rome are small and pricey.

Oh yes..... very different than what you are used to. And if you eat anywhere near the tourist spots - meals are pricey too.

So once you find that perfect hotel - ask where the locals eat and head for that restaurant. They are there.....just gotta find em.

PS: whatever you plan to budget for a pre or post cruise stay - double it !

So I've seen a lot of great recommendations for hotels in Rome. Sadly, most seem to be a bit out of our price range. So, my question is this...

Is it possible to find a nice hotel near the attractions (Colosseum, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain, or Spanish Steps areas) that is less than $200USD per night?

My definition of nice is somewhere clean and on par with a well-rated Hilton or Hyatt in the US.

The short answer is "no". You can have any two, but not three, of the following: (1) under $200/night, (2) central to the attractions or (3) comparable to "well-rated Hilton or Hyatt" room in the US. If you've ever travelled to Tokyo, Paris, New York or many other expensive major cities, you will have the exact same dilemma. If you're really on a budget and don't want to compromise on the quality of your accommodations, it's best to look further out.

Check out B&Bs as well as hotels. We're staying at Navona Gallery Suites for 4 nights for 140 euros a night. If you are staying more than 3 nights, also consider apartments. There are plenty of places, if you haven't used venere dot com yet, you can put in price as a criteria and search by neighborhood. We usually use a combo of sites like venere, bookings.com, and tripadvisor to find what we want and then try to book direct, especially with smaller hotels.

As others have posted, finding any hotel room in Rome under $200 isn't easy. After much complaining on this board, another poster posted a website for hotels run by religious organizations. I settled on Domus Aurelia, it's close to the Vatican, and the Ho Ho bus stop is at Piazza San Pietro. I paid 95 EUR for a triple with a balcony. The room was huge and we loved sitting out on the balcony in the evening. It is not a Hilton or Hyatt, but it was a nice, clean, friendly accommodation.

http://www.domusaurelia.com/english/index.html

I had planned to walk to the Vatican, but my friend couldn't take all the walking, so we ended up using taxi's. Then used the Ho Ho bus for transportation around Rome to the various sites.

Others have also posted that the Hilton at FCO is very nice, and offers a free shuttle into Rome center. That might be another consideration.

I sympathize with your budget worries, as my planned trip went from $4000 per person to $6000 per person by the time the 3 weeks were over.

Good luck in finding something you can live with.

Okay, obviously I wasn't descriptive enough... when I say on-par with a Hilton or Hyatt I mean as far as the "nice" factor goes. I'm not looking for a US chain or even a US-style room. Boutique hotels, B&Bs, etc. are all fine (even preferred). I just don't want a place that's has a shower that makes you wonder if you're actually clean after having been in it, weird smells, icky carpet, in a crime-ridden area, etc.

I know some people think a Red Roof Inn is nice... I consider that a step up from camping. :)

Check out B&Bs as well as hotels. We're staying at Navona Gallery Suites for 4 nights for 140 euros a night. If you are staying more than 3 nights, also consider apartments. There are plenty of places, if you haven't used venere dot com yet, you can put in price as a criteria and search by neighborhood. We usually use a combo of sites like venere, bookings.com, and tripadvisor to find what we want and then try to book direct, especially with smaller hotels.

Thanks for the useful info. I've definitely been cruising TripAdvisor, but hadn't heard of the others. I'll check out venere now.

Others have also posted that the Hilton at FCO is very nice, and offers a free shuttle into Rome center. That might be another consideration.

I sympathize with your budget worries, as my planned trip went from $4000 per person to $6000 per person by the time the 3 weeks were over.

Good luck in finding something you can live with.

The Hilton is our backup plan. I'd like to have a Rome hotel near the attractions, but it definitely comes down to $$ at this point. We have points for two nights of hotel, but will need 1 night in Rome and 2 in London, so I'm trying to figure out how best to use the points. The hotel in London is about $200USD/night. If I can find a Rome hotel around the same price, then I'd rather just use the points in London and pay for a Rome hotel in order to get a better location. Otherwise, we'll use points for Hilton Rome (airport location) and for one of the nights in London.

The budget is killing me. What started out as a REALLY cheap cruise ($450pp) is becoming a MUCH more expensive trip. I'm trying to be frugal where I can so we can truly enjoy the trip vs stressing over the costs. I'm just glad we have until October to spread out the expenses and save up spending money!

The Hilton is our backup plan. I'd like to have a Rome hotel near the attractions, but it definitely comes down to $$ at this point. We have points for two nights of hotel, but will need 1 night in Rome and 2 in London, so I'm trying to figure out how best to use the points. The hotel in London is about $200USD/night. If I can find a Rome hotel around the same price, then I'd rather just use the points in London and pay for a Rome hotel in order to get a better location. Otherwise, we'll use points for Hilton Rome (airport location) and for one of the nights in London.

The budget is killing me. What started out as a REALLY cheap cruise ($450pp) is becoming a MUCH more expensive trip. I'm trying to be frugal where I can so we can truly enjoy the trip vs stressing over the costs. I'm just glad we have until October to spread out the expenses and save up spending money!

As you are going off-season, you should have no trouble finding a centrally located, safe, well-regarded, clean and under $200/night hotel or B&B. Just make sure you understand these hotels will probably be much older, smaller and won't have most of the "traditional" amenities that many US travelers might expect such as big rooms, big beds, big bathrooms with shower/tubs, huge lobbies, 24-hour front desk, hotel restaurants, room service, concierges, elevators/handicap accessibility, free toiletries, etc. etc. If something is important to you, make sure to ask about it--don't assume.

FYI - The Rome Airport Hilton is running a Spring Special right now and the rate is 129 EUROs for two, including the buffet breakfast. We are going next month and had originally booked at a MUCH higher rate that did not include breakfast.

As you are going off-season, you should have no trouble finding a centrally located, safe, well-regarded, clean and under $200/night hotel or B&B. Just make sure you understand these hotels will probably be much older, smaller and won't have most of the "traditional" amenities that many US travelers might expect such as big rooms, big beds, big bathrooms with shower/tubs, huge lobbies, 24-hour front desk, hotel restaurants, room service, concierges, elevators/handicap accessibility, free toiletries, etc. etc. If something is important to you, make sure to ask about it--don't assume.

Thanks! I'm totally fine with older and smaller, provided that equates to historic and charming. :)

No need for lots of amenities, either. Just a nice room, nice hotel, good location and no fear of what I might step on in the dark! lol

Well, I think its difficult to compare a Rome hotel with a Hilton or Hyatt.... but I stayed at the Hotel Villa San Pio and thought it was excellent. Its a bit of a hike from the attractions but I think pretty doable. I think its about a 20 minute walk from the Collessuem and I got an excellent rate in the middle of the summer through www.venere.com

(Disclaimer: I am from a city and walk/use public transport everywhere - so I'm totally fine walking distances. If you aren't, this might seem a bit far for you)

Any more feedback on this hotel? Definitely within our price range and looks great on the website... is there a metro or bus nearby? How did you get here from the airport? 20 min walk to Colosseum is fine... any other attractions w/in walking distance? Is it a hotel, b&b or ?? Note on website says there are three buildings that used to all be private residences. Just wondering how that works and which building you stayed in.

Thanks!!!

I wouldn't have traded the Hotel White for anything.

WOW! That place looks exactly like what I was looking for and current promo and conversion rates put it at $197 for a standard double. Can you tell me more? What was within walking distance? How did you get to hotel from airport? Is it near a metro or bus stop? What kind of room did you stay in?

My husband and I along with my son and future daughter-in-law stay at this great hotel in Rome. It was not that expensive, clean, breakfast, air conditioned, free internet and much more. My friend who has been selling cruises for 30 years booked her family trip into this hotel as well for about 20 people. HOTEL ROMAE. It does have a website. If you need any further help you can reach me at Dicrepe2@aol.com Diane

WOW! That place looks exactly like what I was looking for and current promo and conversion rates put it at $197 for a standard double. Can you tell me more? What was within walking distance? How did you get to hotel from airport? Is it near a metro or bus stop? What kind of room did you stay in?

We searched for the Trevi and found it almost around the corner (about 4 min walk)! :D

Very close to Spainish Steps, Trevi, Parthenon. Took a 5 min cab to Collesium.

You would need a cab to the Vatican (15min or less)

The hotel is clean, provides a good breakfast in small breakfast room. Has a small elevator. Beds were hard. We had a room at the top that was in a strange shape, but had a couple of windows with very interesting views and very Italian. We absolutely loved it. Airconditioning in room.:D

Small restaurant next door, and a sandwich shop across the street (very narrow street, cars can't do all the way down).

This hotel is very very old. Part of it has been remodelled to the new Euro designs.(white, ergo) Our part was the old Euro (panelling, woods etc)

Staff were efficient, spoke English. Porter took our bags up to room for us.

RomeLimo picked us up at FCO (would recommend them for absolutely anything)

The place was about 10 minutes to the Pyramid Metro Stop. Its actually in a beautiful residential neighborhood. It was actually a little nice to see a non-touristy area in Rome. I would have moved there in a heartbeat! The price includes a fantastic breakfast as well, (with American-style coffee - a huge plus for someone that lives off coffee!) The hotel had a beautiful courtyard and the rooms were so quaint. I stayed in a triple that was quite a bit larger than I'd seen throughout the rest of Rome.

Also, the entire staff is quite fluent in English so it makes it easy to ask questions and get the help you need. The hotel arranged some tours for me as well as my transportation. However, I had been travelling throughout Italy so I arrived via Termini not the airport so I can't help you there. But I'm pretty confident that the hotel could arrange something for you.

Good Luck!

I searched quite a bit....check out trip advisor....we settled on Artemide hotel....on via ****onale....close to the train station and central except the Vatican of course....it is about $200, but if you two twin beds it is less.....this includes breakfact and free mini bar and the reviews are some of the best I' e seen. We will be staying for 3 nights in Aug before our med cruise....can't wait!

We searched for the Trevi and found it almost around the corner (about 4 min walk)! :D

Very close to Spainish Steps, Trevi, Parthenon. Took a 5 min cab to Collesium.

You would need a cab to the Vatican (15min or less)

The hotel is clean, provides a good breakfast in small breakfast room. Has a small elevator. Beds were hard. We had a room at the top that was in a strange shape, but had a couple of windows with very interesting views and very Italian. We absolutely loved it. Airconditioning in room.:D

Small restaurant next door, and a sandwich shop across the street (very narrow street, cars can't do all the way down).

This hotel is very very old. Part of it has been remodelled to the new Euro designs.(white, ergo) Our part was the old Euro (panelling, woods etc)

Staff were efficient, spoke English. Porter took our bags up to room for us.

RomeLimo picked us up at FCO (would recommend them for absolutely anything)

I just checked, and for our dates, they are offering $165 E/night, for an executive room, pickup from the airport in a limo, bottle of wine, and American buffet breakfast each morning. Given the location, I think that is a fabulous deal! There is a 3 night min., which is exactly how long we were planning to stay pre-cruise. I think it's a winner!

Thanks so much for this recommendation!

Cathy

You got a much better deal than we did!

Goggle Earth the hotel, I think it's on Via Arcione?? And it will give you a good feel for distances. Never having been to Rome, we didn't know what to expect, and were pleased with the closeness of everything. The cab can get you almost to the door, so you will walk with luggage about 75-100ft. (but it is cobblestone!)

Hopefully they won't be cleaning the Trevi when you arrive.... very unromantic sitting watching the cleaners :(

It looks perfect--the Trevi Fountain is my favorite place in all of Rome, particularly because it is so amazing, yet hidden in a warren of little streets, which I love. I have to say I am not wowed by the modern look of the rooms, but everything else looks ideal, especially the price. We're not going until November but I think I will reserve now--can always cancel if something better shows up, which I doubt. CC never disappoints! Got great recommendations for hotels in Venice and Barcelona on these boards and was delighted with all of them.

Oh, I wanted to ask how were the bathrooms? Did they have a tub? I guess this special is for executive rooms, whatever that means.

Cathy

Archived