H&S Jewelers - St Thomas

DJRad

Stay away from H&S Jewelers in St Thomas. They have two jewelery stores, as well as a perfume store and a couple of other stores. The guys that work there run a scam. Plus, they misrepresent their jewelery. They will lie through their teeth and they dont stand by their guarantee. I am working with my credit card company to have them reverse my charges.

Unfortunately for them, my father-in-law is an executive with Carnival Cruise lines and he is going to make sure that they are added to their "warning" list. I hope that attempting to rip us off was worth it.

Stay away from H&S Jewelers in St Thomas. They have two jewelery stores, as well as a perfume store and a couple of other stores. The guys that work there run a scam. Plus, they misrepresent their jewelery. They will lie through their teeth and they dont stand by their guarantee. I am working with my credit card company to have them reverse my charges.

Unfortunately for them, my father-in-law is an executive with Carnival Cruise lines and he is going to make sure that they are added to their "warning" list. I hope that attempting to rip us off was worth it.

Can you please be a little more specific regarding your accusations?

Sure. They sold us a diamond that they claimed was one thing and told us to have it appraised when we got home. They said that they stood by their merchandise and if there were any issues, all we needed to do was call them and then send the merchandise back. To make a long story short, the diamond was not even close to the quality that they claimed it to be. When we discovered this, we attempted to notify the store and send the merchandise back, as we had been instructed. After sending everything back insured and registered, as we had been instructed, they refused the package.

They knew exactly what they were doing. They also have people staked out all over the shopping district that stop you (knowing you are tourists) and then make small talk. Eventually, they sway you to come to their stores with BS stories.

Maybe, we are ignorant for falling for their tactics. However, the plain truth is that they knowingly ripped us off.

I will post all of details, once the case has been closed with my credit card company.

My husband and I were in St. Thomas last month (our first time) - I saw beautiful jewellery and to tell you the truth, I wouldn't buy anything. I'd rather pay more and buy from someone in my city that I know well. I couldn't even look at anything without a salesperson jumping on me. There are even people standing outside the shops to lure you in. Quite a shopping experience!!

These shopping areas are turning off the potential customer. It bothers me greatly that people hover over me while I browse the store and keep asking if I need a bracelet, earrings or necklace. If you stop for one second to take a second look, they asked if you like and start to take the piece of jewelery out of the showcase. After a minute or so I just walk out of the store. I prefer to browse in peace.

I just don't comprehend why people buy jewelry at these stores when they don't - apparently - know what they're buying.

OF COURSE, the stores want you to come into their shops. There are a lot of stores in St Thomas and Nassau and it's THEIR JOBS to get you in the store and sell you something.

Not their fault that people overpay and don't know what they're buying.

Buyer beware. You know?

I bought a lovely blue diamond solitaire necklace from them. Didn't have it appraised because it wasn't a big $ item. But it's a beautiful stone.

I don't spend huge amounts on jewelry (I just prefer to spend my money on other things - like cruises and seeing the islands). But if I were inclined to do so, I'd do my homework first and I wouldn't assume that just because I'm in the islands, that I'm getting a great deal.

Sorry. Guess I just don't have much sympathy/empathy for people who get upset because they didn't know what they were buying and want someone to blame because they have buyer's remorse.

• 2 years later...

Hey don't know if this is any consolation to you .......but the guy Sunny and his brother were sentenced to 44 months in prison......on unrelated credit card fraud......spread the word to as many as possible....posting a link to the article

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/news/st-thomas-grocers-sentenced-to-44-months-for-wire-fraud-1.1253960#axzz1jLs6JZ34

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/news/st-thomas-grocers-sentenced-to-44-months-for-wire-fraud-1.1253960#axzz1jLs6JZ34

Unfortunately there are liars and thevies in every country and there are many right here in the USA. If you have something in mind, do research before you go and realize if it's too good to be true, Then it probably is!!! Have fun shopping because St. Thomas has a lot of it!

Archived