Which Side??

jdlowndes

Which side of the ship is best when docking most times... I know that the dream is not cruising yet but just a good guess would be great... My wife thinks it is awesome to look out and see land when docked.

I know someone is gonna us Marine Termonology so please tell me which is which. (Sorry for my lack of terms)!!

I really like the port (left... 4 letters, just like port...) side but only because that's the side of the ship faces the dock in Galveston where I normally sail from...

Flip a coin!!

There's no real way to tell how the ship will dock in various ports or, especially, if the ship moores and you have to take a tender...

:)

Looking at the deck plans on CCL website, left is ___________ right is __________?

If on the ship looking fwd. Left is Left/Port. Right is Right/Starboard.

My side preference is the Out- Side. The ones with a window. LOL

Is that the left facing the ship??? Sorry Mach!!

Standing in the middle of the ship facing forward... toward the bow (front) port (4 letters...) is left... the other side is starboard... right.

Just remember 4 letters... port... left...

If on the ship looking fwd. Left is Left/Port. Right is Right/Starboard.

Thanks!!! Great clarification!!!

My side preference is the Out- Side. The ones with a window. LOL

One in every crowd!!! Thought i was the only one! HAHAHA

I really like the port (left... 4 letters, just like port...) side but only because that's the side of the ship faces the dock in Galveston where I normally sail from...

Flip a coin!!

There's no real way to tell how the ship will dock in various ports or, especially, if the ship moores and you have to take a tender...

Mach, don't confuse this old woman! I thought the Conquest normally docks facing the webcam, which would mean that starboard (odd numbers) is facing the pier. :confused: We thoroughly enjoyed our aft wrap balcony on 7440 while sitting at Galveston, because we could watch the dolphins playing at the back left of the ship.....

Thanks!!! Great clarification!!!

One in every crowd!!! Thought i was the only one! HAHAHA

Well I saw you were from Alabama so I knew it had to be real simple.....

NO, your not the only one and I just couldn't resist.

IIRC, for those departing from Port of Miami, the cruise ships line up with bow pointed toward the east, so boarding takes place on the starboard (right) side. The view from the port side (left) is quintessential South Florida.

Yep...the Conquest docks with starboard side facing the terminal. The only exceptions to this are when high winds make the 180 degree spin dangerous or when the Conquest is running very late.

It's gotten to be near a 50/50 thing.

If the Conquest is late at all (a lot...) they dock with the port (left) side to the dock. If the winds are strong, too strong for the thrusters to handily turn her in the basin, she docks with the port side (left) to the dock.

For the Conquest it's no harm no foul as the passenger gangway can be positioned properly on either side of the vessel. For the Fantasy class (Ecstasy) it makes a difference as only the Starboard (right) side has an entry to the Atrium area for embark.

Which side of the ship is best when docking most times... I know that the dream is not cruising yet but just a good guess would be great... My wife thinks it is awesome to look out and see land when docked.

I know someone is gonna us Marine Termonology so please tell me which is which. (Sorry for my lack of terms)!!

Though it is cool to see land where you're docked (especially in nice mountainous green places like Jamaica), I'd suggest not using that as the criteria for choosing which side of the ship you're on. You'll probably spend most of your time in port either (a) in public spaces on the ship or (b) on land.

I chose the side for our cabin based on which way the ship will be facing for the sea day. It's a short cruise, so there's only one sea day, and we're heading westbound that day. Since I want the sun on me if I'm sunning myself, I chose the port side because it will be facing south.

- Steve

For the Conquest it's no harm no foul as the passenger gangway can be positioned properly on either side of the vessel. For the Fantasy class (Ecstasy) it makes a difference as only the Starboard (right) side has an entry to the Atrium area for embark.

If what you say is so then improvements have been made to the gangway tower in Galveston allowing it to move its position along the wharf. When we last sailed Conquest in January 2007 we boarded her from the port side. The tower did not line up with the entrance to the atrium so we had to walk along the Main deck exterior promenade from the gangway to the atrium entrance. This may not seem like much of an issue but the security check-in and photo were being taken on the ship at the lobby entrance, not inside the terminal. Perhaps this was due to a computer network issue or something else, I don't know but it was a cold rainy day which made waiting in line outside along the promenade very very uncomfortable for many passengers waiting to embark.

Having watched the Conquest on the web cam for many years as well as the Elation and the Celebration and Jubilee before her, I would say the Conquest docks starboard side facing the pier well in excess of 90% of her sailings. JMTC :)

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently, we're in the cheap seats for our upcoming Valor cruise (starboard 7371)? Doesn't matter to us because we were grateful to get on this ship as our RCL Mariner of the Seas redirected us from sunny Mexico to cold Canada (we're just excited to be going to the Caribbean). Anyway, we do have a balcony booked....I don't think it's this gorgeous wrap-around that everyone is talking about. What's the chance that I will see any sun, be able to have sun hit us while outside? Are we right underneath another room? Also, I read that the rooms are smoking .... has anyone noticed a horrible smell? Any help is greatly appreciated. :o

There is no best side, because you can never tell how the ships will dock at each port. I do love to watch the people stumble thier way back to the boat, but if I'm facing the water instead, darn, I look for sea life and enjoy the ocean and thank God that I'm on a cruise.:D

IIRC, for those departing from Port of Miami, the cruise ships line up with bow pointed toward the east, so boarding takes place on the starboard (right) side. The view from the port side (left) is quintessential South Florida.

I just sailed on the Triumph, May 3rd thru the 10th. The ship was facing west when we set sail. We had to go into the channel further and then do the spin before we set out for Ocho Rios. When we returned we made the turn before docking so the next cruise would be able to sail straight out. Guess Miami depends on when the ships arrive, etc.

I actually chose the starboard side for our balcony cabin, more for which side the sun would be on in the morning for most of the trip. I like a dark room and didn't want the sun peeking around the curtain early morning. This gave us time to catch a few rays out there on our balcony in the afternoon. Nothing like a sunset at sea!! :)

I don't even try to guess which way the ship will dock when in ports, seems to be like Miami, depends on which dock, what other ships are in port, time of arrival and docked versus anchored. The big thing to watch here is....make sure you take a quick peek out your window before stepping out on your balcony in the morning. Can be a bit revealing if your not dressed and there is a ship next to you or maybe some locals with a great view of you and your ship.

Archived