what is the wildest,craziest thing you've ever seen on a cruise?

19stephanie66

Are you saying that you can't take scissors on a cruise ship?

I always take an 8 inch pair, and have never had any problems. A person can do more damage with a broken wine bottle!

john

It was so funny - as I said, I had a second pair in my purse - AND my super duper Swiss army knife in my other bag which they didn't remove. That is the one and only time in seventy cruises that this has happened. I don't know what possessed them.

It was so funny - as I said, I had a second pair in my purse - AND my super duper Swiss army knife in my other bag which they didn't remove. That is the one and only time in seventy cruises that this has happened. I don't know what possessed them.

Wow Carmen I am so jealous. You must have gotten an early start on cruising. I didn't take my first cruise till I was 54 and am addicted but so far the finances don't allow for more than one a year. I don't think I will live long enough to catch up with your total now much less later. I bet you have some great stories to tell. So tell us some more wild and crazy stories. The scissors-that is strange. I wonder why they didn't open my suitcase, I had tons of power cords and stuff in my suitcase last time.

Maybe they were distracted by the chain saw you were carrying???

Good one Glorya ROTFL. You sound like you are fun and have fun on your cruises. I wish everyone had a sense of humor on the cruises.

They did open all my luggage at the airport on my way home (hummm maybe it was the 12 bottles of liquor-I had declared). They packed it back poorly but nothing broke and the rest of the airline passenger went home in ignorant bliss. It was so heavy it did bend the frame though. OOPS

I got hauled off on the return flight home last time. It was a little scary in the USCIS detention room with all these big burly guys walking around in flak vests and wearing blue latex gloves...

We were already running late for the flight due to the insanity at the dock trying to get on the transfer busses to the airport.

It took an hour to get through Immigration-thankfully the guy there had worked at the office in my hometown and had a girlfriend there still...

Anyway, once we got to security they decided that our jam was "liquid" and we couldn't take it on board. We were just trying to save weight in the checked bags. They said we could exit and mail it for $11.75 but we'd have to go back through security-I avoided a strip search the first time and didn't want to push my luck so we tossed the $9.95 worth of jam and sighed...

rg.jpg

Years ago on my first Ocho Rios trip we did get 3 bottles of Appleton rum and the caps came off in my luggage. Got home, no rum, but some darn tasty socks, let me tell you...

Good one Glorya ROTFL. You sound like you are fun and have fun on your cruises. I wish everyone had a sense of humor on the cruises.

You have too! If you don't pack your good attitude and good humor, then every rainy and windy day on your Alaskan cruise will be ruined. Even the 1 hour wait in the strong rain and wind, for your =X= tender, while you are watching another line send their tenders in every 10 minutes, could ruin your cruise. BUT, if you packed the right things, you just laugh through it, because YOU ARE ON A CRUISE AND IT'S ALL GOOD!

You have too! If you don't pack your good attitude and good humor, then every rainy and windy day on your Alaskan cruise will be ruined. Even the 1 hour wait in the strong rain and wind, for your =X= tender, while you are watching another line send their tenders in every 10 minutes, could ruin your cruise. BUT, if you packed the right things, you just laugh through it, because YOU ARE ON A CRUISE AND IT'S ALL GOOD!

I can't wait for my cruise in January. I will try to relax this time. I have been the planner for the 4 of us on 2 cruises before and it seems everyone wants to relax and let me decide everything. I think I'll resign this time and have more fun.

yeah it was a little weird in Sitka with the torrential sheets of icey rain and the one bus in the city was out of order...

I ended up walking back in the downpour from the Raptor Center to the docks only to face 400 people in line to get on a boat that held, oh, I dunno, 30 people...

On the plus side... the eagles were incredible

DSCF4827.jpg

Yup, that's where we were, in Sitka, in May this year. Rain rain rain. Couldn't get to the raptor center, it was raining too hard to walk there. Kept walking on to the totem pole place, it was interesting. Spent more time waiting for the tender then we did in town! It rained like that in almost all our ports, except for BC. It was sunny and hot there!

Nice pic, BTW!

Wow Carmen I am so jealous. You must have gotten an early start on cruising. I didn't take my first cruise till I was 54 and am addicted but so far the finances don't allow for more than one a year. I don't think I will live long enough to catch up with your total now much less later. I bet you have some great stories to tell. So tell us some more wild and crazy stories. The scissors-that is strange. I wonder why they didn't open my suitcase, I had tons of power cords and stuff in my suitcase last time.

Actually, I've done 80 cruises, most in the last 20 years....however, the ones on Royal Caribbean - I will do my 70th on the Legend in the Mediterranean October 5th - have all been in the last 13-1/2-years. I've been a single mom, without any child support - thankfully, I am a nurse, and I've raised three sons to adulthood, all attended college. My job as a forensic nurse involves call and I've taken every shift I can get...partly to support my travel addiction...and also because travel is one way I deal with the violence in my work doing adult and child sexual abuse cases.

Yup, that's where we were, in Sitka, in May this year. Rain rain rain. Couldn't get to the raptor center, it was raining too hard to walk there. Kept walking on to the totem pole place, it was interesting. Spent more time waiting for the tender then we did in town! It rained like that in almost all our ports, except for BC. It was sunny and hot there!

Nice pic, BTW!

The Radiance of the Seas will be here in San Francisco on Wednesday. My friend who is the maitre d' is coming out for lunch with me, along with several of the head waiters. He said they had a terrible Alaska season, weather-wise, with very little sun all season and they are hoping for a nice day in San Francisco. It's been lovely here lately - I sure hope it stays nice so I can take them to lunch in Sausalito. Then I'll get to go back on board in the afternoon and stay for second seating dinner. I've promised they won't have to send security looking for me when they sail at 11PM.

I got hauled off on the return flight home last time. It was a little scary in the USCIS detention room with all these big burly guys walking around in flak vests and wearing blue latex gloves...

We were already running late for the flight due to the insanity at the dock trying to get on the transfer busses to the airport.

It took an hour to get through Immigration-thankfully the guy there had worked at the office in my hometown and had a girlfriend there still...

Anyway, once we got to security they decided that our jam was "liquid" and we couldn't take it on board. We were just trying to save weight in the checked bags. They said we could exit and mail it for $11.75 but we'd have to go back through security-I avoided a strip search the first time and didn't want to push my luck so we tossed the $9.95 worth of jam and sighed...

rg.jpg

Years ago on my first Ocho Rios trip we did get 3 bottles of Appleton rum and the caps came off in my luggage. Got home, no rum, but some darn tasty socks, let me tell you...

Maybe they just look for random stuff they want. They stole my daughter's lighter once at an airport, said they couldn't save & return it to me on the way out an hour later, wouldn't let me mark it so it could be identified...:mad:

Actually, I've done 80 cruises, most in the last 20 years....however, the ones on Royal Caribbean - I will do my 70th on the Legend in the Mediterranean October 5th - have all been in the last 13-1/2-years. I've been a single mom, without any child support - thankfully, I am a nurse, and I've raised three sons to adulthood, all attended college. My job as a forensic nurse involves call and I've taken every shift I can get...partly to support my travel addiction...and also because travel is one way I deal with the violence in my work doing adult and child sexual abuse cases.

It sounds like you need those cruises. You will have no regrets about not doing something you wanted to do. What a great way to live. I am trying to be more like that. Thanks for doing the work you do. Teachers, nurses, firemen, police and military: what would we do without you?

Just got off Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas a couple days ago. As you may know, this ship has a FlowRider on deck 12. This is a surfing simulator. While most people won't try surfing, they will give boggie boarding a go. Throughout the week, it was pretty fun to hang out and watch some amazing wipeouts. Even though the workers reminded people to secure their swimsuits, many people didn't bother paying attention. Needless to say, there were some women who flashed all those watching as well as some men who showed off more then most cared to see. It got to be a game watching people in line and seeing their suit... betting if they were going to expose themselves to all those around.

Just got off Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas a couple days ago. As you may know, this ship has a FlowRider on deck 12. This is a surfing simulator. While most people won't try surfing, they will give boggie boarding a go. Throughout the week, it was pretty fun to hang out and watch some amazing wipeouts. Even though the workers reminded people to secure their swimsuits, many people didn't bother paying attention. Needless to say, there were some women who flashed all those watching as well as some men who showed off more then most cared to see. It got to be a game watching people in line and seeing their suit... betting if they were going to expose themselves to all those around.

No way, there's no way that could ever happen...

http://www.thehollo.com/cruise/video7.wmv

That video is hilarious. I'm sitting at my desk at work trying not to create a scene from laughing so much. Wow!!!

The saddest part is that it was my WIFE taking the video. She was laughing at me the whole time and then FINALLY put the camera down to come help me pull up my trunks...