Avalon Rhine: Basel to Amsterdam (5/17-5/24)

MayasWay

I'm just about ready to book this cruise for August 2010. I'm so excited! Thanks for the head's up on the extra excursions. What hotels did you stay in when you were in Switzerland? Did you stay extra in Amsterdam? I'm planning 2 nights in Lucerne, 2 nights in Basel and 2 nights in Amsterdam, so I'm trying to research my hotels now.

Kath,

We have booked at the Gottard in Basel because it is right next to the main Swiss train station. The reviews said that they would store luggage so we could sightsee the day we arrived. We booked the Fita in Amsterdam because it is close to the museums and because it sounded like a neat place in the reviews.

Kath,

We have booked at the Gottard in Basel because it is right next to the main Swiss train station. The reviews said that they would store luggage so we could sightsee the day we arrived. We booked the Fita in Amsterdam because it is close to the museums and because it sounded like a neat place in the reviews.

Hi

We stayed in the Fita in April, and hope you have as great a time as we did. Not much of a public entrance and a typically narrow Amsterdam design. The compensation is the friendly atmosphere and a great location near the Museumplein and a tram stop.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed two nights in Lucerne at Hotel Des Alpes (board and breakfast), a short walk from the train station and boat docks. The hotel's highlight ... a wonderful breakfast that we took out on their beautiful breakfast balcony overlooking the river and Chapel Bridge.

Stayed another night in Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland at Hotel Staubbach. A fabulous, peaceful little town nestled in the Bernese Oberland, 20-30 minutes from Interlaken Ost by train. They checked our bags early on the day we arrived and held onto them after checkout until late in the day. Friendly and knowledgeable staff helped us determine which of the mountain ascents were the best for each day.

In Basel, we stayed at the Hilton (right next to the train station) because we had points to cover our stay. Staff were extremely courteous and helpful, first-class experience. They included the Basel mobility card which gives you free access to city transportion during your stay. Be sure to spend at least a few hours exploring Basel in city center along the river ... take the cable boat across for an inexpensive thrill and to save a few steps as you walk along the river.

In Amsterdam, we used Priceline and bid for a 4* hotel in the city center/museum district. Wound up with the NH Carlton for less than 1/2 what they were charging at the lowest rates I could find. Turned out to be a really convenient location. (Although too noisy to leave your windows open at night.) Next to the floating flower market, we walked everywhere. But it's also close to a well served tram stop which we used when we got tired or when we were toting our luggage back to the train station to catch the train to the airport.

BTW, although we could have walked to the train station and grabbed a tram, we shared a cab to the hotel from the boat, our portion of the fare was 10 euros.

• 1 year later...

Just got back from the Avalon Basel-Amsterdam cruise so here4's what worked for us.

Having spent an overnight hotel stay in Basel we enjoyed the free tram tickets that the hotels give out. Wonderful on-off free travel.!

Not having a cell phone, on the day of departure we mapped out the tram lines that either went along the river or at least crossed over several of the bridges. We started out in late morning on the tram, in less than 15 mins we spotted three cruise ships docked along the river. We simply got off the tram and made our way to the moorings. The first two were within 100 yards of the tram line, but were not our cruise ship. We jumped back on another tram and while crossing yet another bridge spotted the Avalon colors, so we did the tram transfer to intersect the closest tram stop to the estimated position. Walked from their (3 blocks) and boarded the ship to enquire about earliest boarding time. We were told that you can leave your luggage anytime, but not board before 3:30-4 O' clock. We then took the direct tram back to our hotel to get our luggage.

Enquired at the desk and were told a taxi would take cost about $60 US. Of course the hotels and taxis all known where each ship is moored

So come 3:15 we jumped back on the most direct tram and were at the closest stop in 15 mins for free. One can hail a cab from there of if you have luggage with wheels like us, we simply walked the 3 blocks to intersect the ship. (yea we are senior citizens) :D

I'm about ready to write a cruise review, but if you would like a quick peek at the tour follow this link to my U-tube video

(I haven't figured out yet how to embed videos of even if this site allows embedding)

Lomapaseo we was also on the Felicity, the first week in April this year. We really enjoyed your You-Tub video. We went from Amsterdam to Basil and recognized some familiar crew faces in your video.

I will try to post a You-Tub link of our cruise later.

Roger

Lomapaseo we was also on the Felicity, the first week in April this year. We really enjoyed your You-Tub video. We went from Amsterdam to Basil and recognized some familiar crew faces in your video.

I will try to post a You-Tub link of our cruise later.

Roger

Couldn't edit the above post to ad my You-Tub link so here in is.

Roger

Roger

Roger, we enjoyed this very much. We are going on Avalon Felicity April 1, 2012. We travel Basel to Amsterdam. Were you able to see the bulb fields and gardens near Amsterdam when you were there that early this year? I didn't see those on this link.

Clare

Roger, we enjoyed this very much. We are going on Avalon Felicity April 1, 2012. We travel Basel to Amsterdam. Were you able to see the bulb fields and gardens near Amsterdam when you were there that early this year? I didn't see those on this link.

Clare

Clare

We thought the April date was great because of the weather and the river conditions. I know you will enjoy your cruise. The Felicity was a great boat because it has a crew that took great care of everyone on board. This was our first river and we took in everything we could but not the flower tour.

We opted not to take the Tulip tour because it was a optional tour and we wanted to stay in Amsterdam to walk the streets and see the sites of the city. I don't think you would have seen as many pics of Amsterdam had we went on the tulip tour.

The pics we put on You-Tub was just a small number we took. On You-Tub you only have a 10 minute limit you can use on that site.

Roger

Roger, thanks for your reply. We will be staying an extra night or two in Amsterdam before going on to tour some of Germany, so we should have time to do a few extra things and see the city too. We still will have a hard time deciding what to do....so much to see, so little time.

Clare

• 2 months later...

We also are booked for the basil/Amsterdam cruise in Sepember. We are 8 couples, friends,family, etc. from the Pittsburgh area. Any Idea what the weather might be in Sepember on the Rhine? Gev

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing your spring trip in photos. I'm travelling with 20 other friends on the reverse trip next October 7, 2012 on the new sister ship Visionary. I'm going to post your video on our Roll Call as it makes me feel I am already there!

Karen

Roger

Archived