radiance - Why is 5 night cheaper than 4 night?

ejeffo

Just out of curiosity (learning here)...

I am sailing on the Radiance to Cabo Sept. 25, 2009 on a 5-night cruise. I notice that my cruise is cheaper than the 4-night one that leaves the day we return to San Diego. Why is this? What makes that 4-night cruise more appealing? I have always wondered about that. Mathematically, it makes no sense. I am just trying to learn the ins and outs for future cruise planning.

To an extent cruise line pricing works similar to the airlines. As the ships fill up and continues to sell well, they will raise the price. For some reason the cruise after yours is selling better or yours wasnt selling as well. I am thinking the cruise after yours might fall over Columbus Day and some people have a day or two off. This might be why the prices are increased.

Prices can even vary on sailings of the same length on the same ship. They are often dependent on the dates you choose to sail. If the price is slightly different it might be that the port fees on the 5 night cruise are actually less than those on the 4 nighter. Most of all, however, the prices depend on how well the cruise is selling or how well they expect it to sell. A less popular 5 night itinerary might require them to charge a lower price than a more popular 4 night one. As with so many things in life, the best answer to your question is : "It depends."

Archived