Uniworld's River Tosca?

next trip?

I thoroughly agree with Pacmom that this is a "magical trip" -- we did Egypt and Jordan last November and I still can't believe all the history and OMG moments. One point of info I always give everyone who goes to this part of the World, do NOT drink any water except bottled and do NOT brush your teeth with the water from the sink. We started taking pro-biotics (acidophillus) several weeks before the trip and during the two weeks, I also chewed a pepto-bismol tablet at each meal. I never had any tummy problems, but most of the people on the trip did.

Sheila

We are booked on 8 day Uniworld from Luxor-Aswan. Another site has a terrible review about poor logistics, particularly getting up at 2:30 am to fly to Luxor from Cairo as part of the tour. Any similar experiences?

We are booked on 8 day Uniworld from Luxor-Aswan. Another site has a terrible review about poor logistics, particularly getting up at 2:30 am to fly to Luxor from Cairo as part of the tour. Any similar experiences?

If circumstances are the same as in April 2008 then you are in for a very long day ..... as we experienced when we travelled with Uniworld's partner Insight on their Jewels of the Nile tour. This is an excerpt form our Tour diary ...

"Friday - 11/4/08

This was to be a long, long day. Wake up at 3am (yes you read right) for a 4am departure to Cairo airport for our flight south. This was to be our first experience with Egypt Air and their way of doing things in Egyptian time."

We survived though and the Wow's make up for any little inconveniences.

Restaurants: Egyptian Nights in the Marriott courtyard was very good.

Abu al Sid is a VERY short walk - left down the hill, turn left, then cross the street and go down the side street by Thomas' pizza. I didn't find it "sumptuous," in fact the inside decor looked a bit worn. But traditional Egyptian food and very good.

Our last night we went right out of the hotel down to the Nile. There are a number of paddle boats tied up along the river that are now restaurants (several restaurants in each boat). We ended up at one near the bridge called Le Pacha that was fantastic!

We didn't have that 4 am flight because we were on a different itinerary.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Next Trip and Rosie01 it was so nice to meet you and your husbands on this trip. Still trying to get over jetlag and trying to figure out what my big trip will be next year. I don't think anyplace can top the experience of seeing Egypt.

One of my kittens had been injured while I was away, but he is on the mend. It is an injury to his lower back.

Abu Simbel was definitely worth getting up early to catch the plane. I think of all the magnificent sites we saw, my favorite sites were the three tombs we were able to enter at the Valley of the Kings.

I must add the Spa on the Tosca gives a very good foot massage.

I emailed customer service at Uniworld about the Tosca, as well as the rep who took us to the airport on the return flight home and than abandoned us in the airport. Still waiting for their response.

My wife and I are registered for the February 26th "Splendors" tour and this is my first CC post. There are upwards of sixty tombs in the Valley of the Kings. However, Dakotabear34 speaks of visiting three on the tour. Can someone tell me whose tombs were seen to help me with my pre-cruise research?

My wife and I are registered for the February 26th "Splendors" tour and this is my first CC post. There are upwards of sixty tombs in the Valley of the Kings. However, Dakotabear34 speaks of visiting three on the tour. Can someone tell me whose tombs were seen to help me with my pre-cruise research?

We went into the 3 that our guide recommended - that seemed to be the "safest" route. The guides cannot guide people in the tombs, so it was helpful to have the guide explain what you'll be seeing the tombs and then go right in. You can also purchase additional entry into Ramses V/VI (for 50 Egyptian pounds) and Tut (100 Egyptian pounds). We did the additional Ramses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Pris & Richie,

We will be going on the 8 day on December 4th. We are flying in on the 2nd.

Denise & Craig

Well, nice to meet you!!!!

This will be our first river cruise. Friends of ours went in March. The Tosca wasn't ready for their trip but they had a wonderful time.

We'll be joining you on the boat on the 6th in Luxor and ending up on the 13th in Cairo. We'll be staying at the Marriott and will leave for home on the 15th.

Looking forward to meeting you. Let's stay in touch and we can suffer through the packing process together!

Pris & Richie

Archived