Uniworld's River Tosca?

next trip?

Hi 49er,

I know you're on Lufthansa. How do you get to Cairo?

Carol

I see in the news this morning that the Lufthansa pilots are going strike for four days beginning Monday at mid night. Looks like we might have just dodged the bullet on our flight to Cairo but the Frankfurt airport will probably really be more of a zoo that it normally is Friday.

49er

Hey everyone, hard to believe that we are already back:( We had a really wonderful time, and from my discussion with most of the people in our group (there were ~28), everyone would recommend this trip. The Miriam is a nice ship. I would definitely not call it luxurious or 5 star, but it's a nice place to hang out between all the side trips! We were on the 2nd floor, so I really never checked out any of the rooms on the 1st or 3rd floor hallways. The carpets are worn, which I think is to be expected in an older ship. The rooms are a good size though (there are no dressers, although there is room for one...), the closet is typical cruise ship size, with a few shelves and a safe). Bathrooms are small'ish, with a 1/2 shower door on the tub (am not sure if that makes sense, but it does make for a bit of splash in the bathroom, never could understand why some showers are that way??) There are also no clocks in the room (they do give you wake up calls), but if you like an alarm clock in your room, you'll have to bring one.

The beds are comfortable with nice bedding (duvet covers). My one complaint is that our room smelled of cigarette smoke. I can't complain too much though, I could have asked to change rooms, but never did. I didn't speak with anyone else who thought their rooms smelled of smoke.

The food was always good & plentiful. The staff is very friendly and quite helpful. The shipped passed by the Tosca twice and everyone on the staff lined up on the side of the boat and hooped and hollered at them as we sailed by. From the Miriam, the Tosca just looks like any other boat. Most of us decided that we'd rather have the rebate that we got, because, really, all was well.

We had Ayman as our guide, and he was very good and so informative. The trips were all well organized and everyone was well taken care of.

Know there is tons more I can tell you, but ask away any questions you have and I'll try and get them answered.

Bottom line, it's a great trip!

Welcome home jperkin1,

Glad to hear all went well and from reading your review its sounds like you had a wonderful time:-) I guess your comments about the Miriam are what I would have expected. As long as the beds were comfortable and no cases of "Mummy Tummy", it was a good place to hang out. We have seen those funky tub/showers else where in Europe. Always seem to wind up with more water on the floor then down the drain.

I do have a few questions. Was bottled water always available? I think I read in our documents that it is for sale onboard the ship and at the same time telling us not to drink from the ship's taps. Kind of like charging for the air we breathe:-( Was the cigarette smell noticeably anywhere else? So much for a non smoking ship I guess. And were there other tours on board and if so were you grouped together for meals and excursions?

No rush in answering these questions as we still have a few more days before we leave and I will probably have a few more by then. Now with this Lufthansa strike looming next week. we are more then a little anxious to see how our flights will be effected next Friday. Ahhh, the joys of traveling:-)

Anyway, thanks for your comments and welcome home to a snowy Texas!

49er

49er,

Thank you so much. We are on Lufthansa :eek: all the way or maybe we're not. I just spent an hour on the phone. Tomorrow they will list the flights that will fly. Another thing to worry about. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they negotiate a settlement. It will make life easier for a lot of people.

Carol

There was always water available. They give you 2 bottles a day in your room, plus on any of the excursions, there was always water on the bus. We never seemed to lack any. My husband did, on one day, experience a bit of "mummy tummy". I never had any problem, but a few others had a day that they just didn't feel well. It seemed to only last a day, and it didn't effect everyone, so who knows where that came from?? We seemed to eat the same thing, but who knows if/when he just may have eaten a thing or two different?

The first day we were all in Cairo, we met with the Uniworld people in a group. This group stayed together for the rest of the trip. As far as meals, we were pretty much on our own. The dining room has tables for 8, you can sit wherever you want. We went with friends of ours, so the 4 of us pretty much always sat a table together and were joined by different people throughout the week. We had a great group of people and enjoyed the company of all we met, another added bonus! There were a few other tours, but we didn't sign up for them. One was an additional light show, the other for a dinner cruise in Cairo the end of the trip. Heard from a couple that went on the dinner cruise, that it was very enjoyable.

Most of the days start very early and last until 3-4 in the afternoon. It's a good idea to take something to eat with you, as there seemed to be long periods of time between breakfast & lunch.

I really didn't notice the smoke smell other than the hallway (and our room) where we were. There is a huge amount of smoking there (Cairo), they seemed to have missed the surgeon general's warning!! Apparently I am more sensitive to smell, as it didn't bother my husband as much as it bothered me (which is typical for us...!) There were a few people who smoked on the ship, but it was always on the upper deck (which is very nice, comfortable lounge chairs and tables). There's a funky kind of pool there, very shallow around the edges, then a deep (5') circular part in the middle. The water was very cold, so I only had my feet in it. Only saw one person get in while we were there.

About the shower: definitely more water on the floor! Oh well....

Good luck with the Lufthansa thing, if it's not one thing...:(

49er,

Thank you so much. We are on Lufthansa :eek: all the way or maybe we're not. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they negotiate a settlement. It will make life easier for a lot of people.

Carol

I didn't realize you all were flying LH from the States over to Frankfurt! I certainly hope that you will be able to find an alternate flight if they (the pilots) do go on strike. I guess Lufthansa is supposed to publish a schedule for next week so we will be keeping our fingers crossed for you. Even though we are not scheduled to fly on LH until Friday afternoon, I am sure it is going chaotic at the airport.

Good luck and keep us posted

49er

Thanks jperkin1 for your speedy reply. I think we are pretty well prepared now:-) We have been watching the long range weather forecasts for Egypt and it looks like it will be in 80-90 degree range while we are over there. Can hardly wait!! Now if we can only get there:-(

Thanks again

49er

49er & Opal 21- Have a wonderful trip!! I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts when you get back. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask! We're in the process of dealing with the whole jet lag thing... Still trying to figure out what day it is, and what the actual time is???

Still trying to figure out what day it is, and what the actual time is???

It's time to start planning your next vacation:-)

I will be sure to post a review when we get back.....if we ever get over there in the 1st place:-(

thanks again for your well wishes

49er

49er, we just spent 4 hours on the phone with our travel agent, who was on and off with Lufthansa. In the end LH said our flight is not cancelled.:confused:

The published list is not complete. Hopefully we'll see you on Friday in Frankfurt. Thanks for your help.

Carol

49er, we just spent 4 hours on the phone with our travel agent, who was on and off with Lufthansa. In the end LH said our flight is not cancelled.:confused:

The published list is not complete. Hopefully we'll see you on Friday in Frankfurt. Thanks for your help.

Carol

This kind of takes some of "joy" out of traveling, doesn't it? That is good news though! We sure hope all goes well for you and that we all will wind up in Cairo on the 26th come hell or high water:-)

49er

49er, We came home this afternoon and checked our booking on LH and guess what?? :eek::eek: Our flight to Frankfurt was gone. After another phone session we're booked on Continental DFW- Houston-Frankfurt. We arrive in Frankfurt at 11:45 so hold that plane to Cairo for us. The weather in Cairo looks great everyday except Fri,Sat & Sun:(. I know it's going to be a great trip:):):).

jperkin1, Did anyone in your group use Atinol for the mummy tummy?

Was it chilly in the evening or would a light jacket be enough? How was the flight to Luxor? Did they take your luggage as a group? Was the blow dryer decent? Was there anything you wish you would have taken? Silly questions but after this stressful week, I want to make sure I have everything covered. Did you go to Abu Simbel? I'm in the midst of packing, so any advice would be appreciated.

Carol

49er, We came home this afternoon and checked our booking on LH and guess what?? :eek::eek: Our flight to Frankfurt was gone. After another phone session we're booked on Continental DFW- Houston-Frankfurt. We arrive in Frankfurt at 11:45 so hold that plane to Cairo for us. The weather in Cairo looks great everyday except Fri,Sat & Sun:(. I know it's going to be a great trip:):):).

[/b]

Carol

Glad to hear you got onto another flight. Connection might be a little tight in Frankfurt so wear your running shoes:-) I am expecting there will be delays over the place that day so if LH580 gets off on time (1:40pm) it will be a miracle. I keep checking our booking on Lufthansa's website and it is still a "go". I have also been been following news about the strike from various news sources on the internet and its sounds like they (German Govt, Lufthansa and the Union) are still trying to avert this whole mess. I guess we will find out at 3:00pm (2:00pm for you) today. Hang in there! We will all have a good laugh once we onboard the Miriam sipping a cool one:-)

BTW, I checked the forecast for Cairo this AM and looks like a shower or two Friday but OK for Sat, Sun http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/extended/EGXX0006

49er

Opal, hope this isn't too late for you... We didn't have any atinol, but did have some Cipro (which we bought there) that seemed to work for the two people that had trouble. Evenings were fine weather wise, I packed a light jacket and a sweater. I used the jacket more often, and it worked out fine. It seemed like the mornings were more cool, then it warmed up enough not to need it. I'm a pretty light packer, so used just about everything I packed (except my exercise clothes:(... I thought about it though!!)

The only thing I can think that I would have liked to have had, were a pair of flip-flops just to wear around the boat, don't know why I didn't think to bring them... I don't use a hair dryer (I have short hair, have always done just a wash and go kind of thing), so I'm not sure about the hair dryers. Think they worked okay though, as my friend used them and she never said anything different??

The flight to Luxor was easy (early!!), you'll have your luggage packed into the bus, when you get to the airport you'll go through security, check it there, and go through the same routine on the other end. Didn't notice any problems with it! We did go to Abu Simbel, you'll just need to take whatever you'll use for the day. You'll only be there for a few hours, so you won't need much. Water, sunscreen, a hat and your camera (also take something to eat with you, there's always lots of time between meals)

Have a wonderful time! May the travel gods be with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jperkin1, Thanks for all your helpful info. When your travelled on a bus, were you able to leave things on the bus? Did they weigh your luggage individually for the Luxor flight?

49er, I would rather be on the LH flight, but if the strike didn't happen, I don't know how they'll handle their flights.

Carol

49er, Thanks for keeping me posted. I heard about it this afternoon. Our DFW-Frankfurt flight still isn't posted, so tomorrow (since we're about to have another snow day) I'll see what's going on.:confused: I don't know if they'll put us back on our original flight if it flies. I'd much prefer that.

jperkin1, Did anybody have the roll aboard style(like the pilots use) carry on? I was going to switch to something smaller, but my suitcase is a little on the heavy side.

Carol

We had the roll aboard style carry on (which was our entire luggage...), but it really was easier to check. Friends that we were with had a roll on carry on, they did bring theirs aboard and had no problem. Never saw that luggage was a problem for anyone. If you can pick it up and stow it, it should be no big deal. We prefer to travel strictly with carry-on (which we did on this trip), but found that checking it really worked out fine. There wasn't any one in our group that had a luggage issue, so all went well!

Hello jperkin1, You and next trip? have been so helpful in preparing us for our upcoming trip. A big thank you to you both:-) We are all packed (leaving the kitchen sink home this time:-) and ready to go. With all the ups and downs about 1st the Tosca then the Miriam and the latest craziness with Lufthansa I think I will need a vacation when we get back!! Thanks again!

49er

49er, Thanks for keeping me posted. I heard about it this afternoon. Our DFW-Frankfurt flight still isn't posted, so tomorrow (since we're about to have another snow day) I'll see what's going on.:confused: I don't know if they'll put us back on our original flight if it flies. I'd much prefer that.

I just checked the Lufthansa schedule for the 25th and the DFW to FRA flight (LH439) is back in operation with a 4:25pm departure and a 9:05am arrival in Frankfurt. Hope your travel Agent can do some magic and get you back on that flight. Good luck.

49er

Archived