Uniworld's River Tosca?

next trip?

Picked up our travel documents this weekend:) Guess that means that it really is going to happen and we leave in 3 weeks!! Interestingly, all of our travel documents list the River Tosca, so all of the information is for that ship, emergency phone #'s, etc... It seems we get our stateroom assignment when we check-in onboard the ship. The Uniworld web site now has a section showing some info for the Miriam. It looks nice from the pictures, so it should be interesting!!

I will be sure to check in when we return and let anyone leaving after us know how it went!

There are two more items to bring on a Nile Cruise -- anti-itch cream and neosporin ointment. We didn't see any bugs, but the people who rode the camels got bitten by the flies around the camels and camel dung. One had to visit the ship's doctor on our recent cruise/tour.

Sheila

Wow, I would never have thought of those items. I rode a camel and so did one other person on our trip and we did not have any trouble. Our guide told us who to deal with to ride the camel and it was actually very clean. Better to be prepared though and not need it than to need it and not have it. It was quite an experience to ride that camel!

next trip?

Did you find riding the camel worth it? I've heard that it's a must do and also heard not to bother. I have been more or less leaning towards probably not. Am not sure I feel like it's something I NEED to do! Also next trip? did you have any "digestive" issues? Just wondered if that might be an issue.

Thanks again for all the great info!

We were in Egypt and Jordan in November and I read on line to take pro-biotics two weeks before leaving (one capsule with each meal) and then I continued the two weeks I was gone. I also chewed one pepto-bismol tablet with each meal while traveling and NEVER had a stomach problem. Many others were not so lucky.

sheila

No, neither my husband nor I had any digestive problems. We did not drink the water and brushed our teeth with bottled water. I did have ice in one of my drinks one night ( forgot all about ice being included in "not drinking the water"). No one else on our trip had any problems either. I ate all of the food except for lettuce. Loved the Egyptian food!

I had read where you can eat yogurt for several weeks before the trip but we didn't do that and had no problems.

As far as riding a camel---it was something I really wanted to do. My husband didn't do it and only one other woman on our trip did. I taught horseback riding during college to earn extra money so thought this would be a breeze!!! It was a lot higher up than I thought and the camel has such an ungainly ( is that a word?) gait that it was not too comfortable. Also, when you get on and off you feel like you are going to fall off. You have to lean way forward and then way backward to get off.

All that being said--- it was something I wanted to do and to have my picture taken on a camel in front of the pyramids but I wouldn't do it again. The camel was very clean and no flies or anything around it but it certainely is HIGH up!!!

next trip?

Thanks for all the good information. The yogurt is a great idea. I have neosporin in my med kit but not anti itch cream - it's going in tonight. I have packed insect repellant but I don't think it works on fleas. Since my traveling companion is gun ho on the camel riding, I guess I will try it. I ride horses also but that camel looks pretty tall. I think their smoothest gait is that fast running attack pace which we won't get a chance to do on our "tourist" ride. Wish they had Arab horses to ride. Now that would be fun!!!

My doctor gave me a prescription for anti biotics.... just in case I get "mummy tummy". What vaccinations did folks from the states take? I'm charging into our travel clinic this week and want to be thorough but need to withstand the little sales pitch they promote, which will have you taking every shot in the book......... and paying for it!!

Deb

My internist told me that no specific shots are needed for Egypt. I was overdue on my Tetanus booster so I did that one. Also, she told me not to bother with taking antibiotics from home to get Antinol from the pharmacy at the airport in Egypt when you clear baggage. You get 12 tablets for about 10 Egyptian lbs or $!.00 US. I took one after having a drink with ice ( just as a precautionary measure) and gave one to another woman on our trip that was having a "rumbling" tummy. That did the trick. My Internist said that the antibiotics bought in Egypt would be much better on "Egyptian" bacteria than anything taken from the States.

I forgot to get them at the airport but just had the guide stop at a pharmacy. Tey are readily available!

Yes, I agree. One of those Arabian horses would have been wonderful to ride. In my opinion you should brave it and ride the camel. My grandchildren can't believe I did it and I have a great picture with the pyramids in the background---priceless!!

When you are shopping at the little bazaars ( you will go through these a 100 times when leaving the sites") they will be selling a package of small wooden statues of the sphinx, Nephertari etc. The price quoted is $20.00 to $25.00. You can bargain and get them for $5.00. Our guide gave us this advice. I wish I had gotten more of them. They make great gifts. Also, postcards ( set of ten), guide books and bookmarks ( also set of ten) are $1.00.

Have fun

next trip?

We are going in May to Cairo and then on a 4 night nile cruise. Please tell me if what I recently read is correct................My suitcase is allowed a max weight of 50 pounds from US to Cairo. However, when we fly from Cairo to Luxor or Aswan to catch the cruise it can only weigh 33 pounds. Does that sound correct to you?

Thanks for any help

K

Geddyupgo:

You can usually get shots at your local Health Department and they have a lot of info about what is needed. They recommended Hepatitis A (series of 2 shots, given 6 months apart-I was only able to get one in); Hepatitis B (series of 3 shots-I had already had this series); Tetanus booster-if you have not had one in 10 years; and Typhoid (this has a short life so should be given close to departure i.e. I think 6 weeks longevity but am not sure. Through the Health Department, I paid $65 (HepA $20, Typhoid $45). Hope this helps.

Fragile Beauty:

The luggage weights imposed domestically by airlines is usually less than what the international amounts are. However, when we were there in October, we flew from Cairo to Luxor,& Luxor to Cairo with luggage and as we were in a group, the baggage was all handled by the tour guide. There was no overage charged and passengers had large suitcases that I guess would weigh 45-50 pounds and some more than one bag per person. If you want the official answer, I would call Egypt Air in New York (I am sure they have an 800 number) and pretend you are making a new reservation as you will get a live person and then ask about luggage restrictions. Sometimes there are restrictions on size as well.

Hope this helps.

My luggage weighed 55 lbs. and my husbands weighed 52 lbs. We were not charged any overweight fees. Rosie 01 is correct that when flying from Cairo to Luxor the luggage is weighed in as a group. I just had two couple friends return yesterday and they said their luggage was overweight and the same thing happened to them--luggage weighed as a group! I wouldn't be concerned about it personally!

next trip?

Next trip? I wondered if you might have any suggestions for what to do on our one extra day in Cairo? Figure our arrival day we'll be pretty much recovering from jet lag, but we will have the day after on our own... Any suggestions you have will be much appreciated!! We leave 2 weeks from today :)

Hi jperkin1,

Wow! Only two weeks to go. How exciting1 it seems when you plan these trips that they are so far away and then all of a sudden the time is just around the corner.

I don't know what your tour is covering but my suggestions would be to visit Coptic Cairo and go thru some of the Mosques. Coptic Cairo is very interesting. You could also go to the Khan Bazaar. it is quite an experience but be prepared for a lot of hassaling. That didn't bother me because I love to bargain but I have read other posters comments about how they disliked that part of it. If you do go to the Bazaar eat at the Egpytian Pancake House. They have every imaginable kind of pancake. You go there for lunch or dinner. We ate lunch there. it is not your typical breakfast type of pancakes.

Traffic is terrible in Cairo--you might want to think of hiring a guide just for the day. I think you could do that off of the recommended guides on Trip Advisor. I was very happy that we had a guide and didn't have to figure out where to go or how to get there. We just told our guide what we wanted to see and she scheduled our day. It saved a lot of headaches for us.

Good luck. if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

next trip?

Thanks for a wonderful answer to a great question! We are scheduled for the Feb. 13 Splendors of Egypt trip on the Merriam but are arriving one day early to try and recover somewhat from jet lag. I'm so excited about getting ready for the trip that I hadn't even considered the possibility of a guide. We definitely are hoping to get a chance to schedule a camel ride on the Giza plain (provided they are still allowed) and spend as much time as possible at the museum but a guide sounds neat.

And thanks for the information about the Pancake House. It's great to know some nice and safe-for-the-tummy places to eat.

Does anyone have the latest information about cameras/photographic restrictions at the various sites?

Two weeks and counting - this is going to be fabulous!icon7.gif

Thanks next trip? You have been so helpful and it is much appreciated!! My husband has spent many, many hours studying ancient Egypt, so he will be full of useful information!

We are taking the Splendors of Egypt tour which will start of Feb 7th. We arrive on the 5th. Need to start getting my packing list together!

Thanks again so much for your help!

Jperkins1,

Have a wonderful time! I know you will. Another thing you might want to consider is going to Alzhar Park. We did not make it there but on other posts that I read it is supposed to very lovely with several nice restaurants within the grounds.

Please post a trip review when you return so I will know how your trip was and how much you enjoyesd it. We have friends returning this weekend from a Grand Circle trip and I am anxious to hear their experiences.

ENJOY

next trip?

Does anyone have an idea of what it would cost to hire a guide to take us to and through The Khan El Khalili and the surrounding area? Any recommendations for guides? We will have one full day on our own and it looks like the Splendors trip includes all the Cairo sites.

Carol

I think the Splendors trip covers almost all of the interesting points but it did not cover Coptic Cairo ( or at least our tour did not). That is a very interesting patr of Cairo and one place I wanted to see. We hired our guide for the 2 days prior to our Splendors Trip and she took us to coptic Cairo, several Mosques in the area, the Pancake House for lunch and then took us to the Bazaar. She explained the layout of the bazaar but did not go thru it with us. She waited at one of the rest. and met us at the time we had designated. We also went to the Street of the Tentmakers that same day. Her rate for that day was $90.00 pp. You can make the day as short or a long as you like. I also think you can get a cheaper price. Look on the Trip Advisor boards for recommended guides. Just e-mail them to see if they have the day free that you would like. Most of the ones I contacted ansered me promptly. Normally, my husband and I, like to tour a city without a guide and go at our own pace but decided since we had never been to Cairo and my husband was a little apprenhensive about the safty ( needlessly). in retrospect I am very happy that we had the guide because the traffic was horrible and I wouldn't have wanted to keep looking for cabs. Our guide had her own driver ( I think all of them do) and he would drop us off in front of where we were going and then our guide would call him on her cell and he would promptly pick us up.! That saved us a lot of extra walking too. The van was very comfortable and had A/C. We did go to the Bazaar on our own the 3rd day before we met our tour group and it is certainely doable if you don't want to hire a guide. We just took a taxi from the Marriott and told him to take us to the Bazaar. Be sure you bargain for the fare. I believe we paid 25 Egyptian lbs. going there and 20 Egyptian lbs. going back to the Marriott.

Forgot to mention--the Italian Rest. in the Mariott is very, very good. We ate there our last night before flying home. Wonderful atmosphere, great service and delicious food. The Marriott has several very good rests. Egyptian nights is another one. The grounds of the Marriott are beautiful.

I am envious of all of you that are just getting ready to go!

next trip?

When we toured Egypt in April 2008 we used Spring Tours for our guides on our extra days in Cairo. They are an outstanding company and gave us everything we wanted at a very good price. We went into Coptic Cairo, visited Gold Island in the middle of the Nile to see farms, went back to the Museum for an extended tour and a whole lot more. I highly recommend them. We too enjoyed the Marriott and had a fine Italian dinner but I must say the dinner highlight for us was finding "Drinkies" bottle shop, buying a nice bottle of South African Red, buying a Pizza from the Marriott restaurant and eating it on our balcony overlooking the pool and gardens. Magnificent.

Thanks for the info. It's very helpful when trying to use our free time wisely.

We usually like to do our touring independently. We've lived in Indonesia and have done the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. We'll be four of us and I'm just concerned about getting to the Bazaar and back to the Marriot safely. In fact there is a half day walk in the area surrounding the Khan El Khalili that we'd like to do. Has anyone done this on their own?

Carol

Archived