Uniworld's River Tosca?

next trip?

49er, got our flight back yesterday.:) A Few more things to put in the suitcase and we're set to go. Now my sil is in a panic because they expect a snowstorm tomorrow in New York.:eek: Have a great flight, see you in Frankfurt!

Jperkin1 Thanks again for all the helpful info.

Carol

You can leave things on the bus, things are safe. They don't weigh the luggage, it's all pretty easy.

Not true. They DID weigh the luggage on both our flights to/from Luxor. However to the best of my konwledge noone in our group was charged for overweight.

We are scheduled to do the Jewels of the Nile and Lake Nasser tour starting March 26. First question is about the status of the River Tosca refit--does anyone have new information on whether it will be back in service as scheduled?

The second question is about the attire that is appropriate at the evening meal on board.

• 3 weeks later...
Bump!

Just wondering if anyone's heard about River Tosca's refit?

We were on the Miriam a couple of weeks ago and saw the Tosca on the way from Luxor to Aswan. Still lots of work going on when we passed. The ship has had a long history of delays before cruising for a short time last fall but hopefully they will get it back in service for your trip. Let us know after your cruise. Dress was very informal at dinner. No jeans or shorts though. You will also have a "Galabeya" evening where you will dress in Egyptian costumes. Lots of fun:-)

Have a great cruise.

49er

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving Friday (4/09) for the Cairo/River Tosca package.

Wondering (and hoping) if I can leave my blue blazer behind. I hear the dress is very casual.

Thanks for the advice on this question and anything else you can offer for this cruise.

Are the inter-Egypt flights scary? Rickety planes? That aspect of the package is of concern.

Thanks,

Bobby

Leaving Friday (4/09) for the Cairo/River Tosca package.

Wondering (and hoping) if I can leave my blue blazer behind. I hear the dress is very casual.

Thanks for the advice on this question and anything else you can offer for this cruise.

Are the inter-Egypt flights scary? Rickety planes? That aspect of the package is of concern.

Thanks,

Bobby

Leave the Blazer behind. Evening attire is very informal. Cairo International Airport is only 2 years old and will be the most modern place you will visit while in Egypt. Egypt Air flight to Luxor was a B737 and return on an Egypt Air Express Embraer E-170. The flight to Abu Simbel was on a Memphis Air Bombardier Turbo Prop. Flight crews did a fine job on all flights. Air Stairs and shuttle buses are used at Luxor and Abu Simbel. Have a great cruise on the Tosca (we were on the Miriam). Egypt is an amazing place!

49er

The Cairo terminal you use DEPENDS on the airline you fly. We came in on Delta into an older terminal. We flew to Luxor on Egypt Air; hence the new terminal. All inter Egypt flights were on modern planes.

Leave the Blazer behind. Evening attire is very informal. Cairo International Airport is only 2 years old and will be the most modern place you will visit while in Egypt. Egypt Air flight to Luxor was a B737 and return on an Egypt Air Express Embraer E-170. The flight to Abu Simbel was on a Memphis Air Bombardier Turbo Prop. Flight crews did a fine job on all flights. Air Stairs and shuttle buses are used at Luxor and Abu Simbel. Have a great cruise on the Tosca (we were on the Miriam). Egypt is an amazing place!

49er

Thanks for the information about not needing a blazer. Is there any other way to arrange a tour to Abel Simbel from Aswan?

I read some reviews of Air Memphis that depict a scary, unsafe flying experience.

I was wondering if there were options to arrange it independently. I have some friends who did a minibus caravan tour there.

Not sure how it could be coordinated with the arrival and departure of the River Tosca at Aswan.

Is the ship moored at Aswan overnight on the day of the Abu Simbel optional excursion?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the information about not needing a blazer. Is there any other way to arrange a tour to Abel Simbel from Aswan?

I read some reviews of Air Memphis that depict a scary, unsafe flying experience.

I was wondering if there were options to arrange it independently. I have some friends who did a minibus caravan tour there.

Not sure how it could be coordinated with the arrival and departure of the River Tosca at Aswan.

Is the ship moored at Aswan overnight on the day of the Abu Simbel optional excursion?

Thanks again.

Not sure if you could arrange an independent tour of Abu Simbel at this late date or not. It would be quite a trek by road (about 360 miles RT) and it is mighty warm out there in the Sahara desert. The boat does spend two nights in Aswan arriving late the 1st evening. Our 8:30am flight was fine and only lasted about 45 minutes. BTW, our flights in and out of Cairo were on Lufthansa so we used the new Terminal.

49er

49er,

Thank you again for the additional information. I am leaving this evening on Delta from JFK, nonstop. I, as well as my travel agent, are looking into a private land-based trek out to Abu Simbel.

The ship is moored for 2 nights, so it may be possible.

Thanks, again.

I will post my impressions when I return.

Bobby

• 2 weeks later...

We're booked for the Classic Egypt & The Nile for June 11 (yes, I know it's hot in Egypt then but #1 we lived in Phoenix for years so are used to the heat, and #2 it was lots more affordable this way). Anyone from here going then?

Has anyone been on the Tosca now that it's been re-completed? Just curious to hear. The photos of it looked gorgeous and we're hoping it will now live up to expectations.

Do they serve wine on board as part of the meal, or must you purchase it? Also, has anyone brought Rumrunners on board the Tosca? Worth schlepping from the US or not?

Wine (of Egyptian vintage) is available by the glass at dinner. I believe it was something like $6 or $7 a glass. Didn't notice anyone doing a BYOB, at least at the dinner. Cocktails were around $5-$6 in the lounge. Again this was on the Miriam but I am sure the Tosca will be identical in this respect.

49er

We've just returned from Uniworld's Jewels of the Nile and Lake Nasser tour, and I have to say it was an excellent experience.

All transfers and flights were handled very professionally, the Cairo Marriott is a very good hotel, and the two ships used, the Prince Abbas on Lake Nasser, and the River Tosca on the Nile, are comfortable, modern, and well fitted out.

The Tosca has a very attractive lounge, lobby, and dining room, and the rooms are spacious, well-decorated, and have excellent bathrooms. The linens, wall coverings, and furniture are all first rate. There are some "fit and finish" issues, but they do not affect the cruise experience at all. Dress is very casual, food is excellent, and the crew very professional.

The trip price does not include wine with the meal, but there are good wines at very reasonable prices available.

Both ships, the Marriott, and all tour buses had excellent air conditioning, and there was as much bottled and chilled water as you could drink.

Our guide, Ramadan, was absolutely first class. He has a post grad degree in Egyptology, teaches at the University in Cairo, and absolutely knows his stuff. He's personable, and knows how to make all aspects of the trip most enjoyable. We managed to sidestep many lineups, including those at the airports in Luxor, Aswan, and Abu Simbel. I can't think of enough good things to say about him.

The approach to Abu Simbel, over the water, is really the only way to see the spectacular monuments.

This is not a sit back and relax type of trip. It's a very educational experience, but it does involve walking to and through various temples, and tombs (Valley of the Kings). There is time to relax on the ships, and at meal times.

As others have said, Egypt is a land with more "Wow" sights than almost any other place, and the authorities have done a good job of preserving and presenting the temples, tombs, statues, etc.

I'd recommend this trip without hesitation.

Thanks so much for the feedback. We've been drooling over the photos of the Tosca and can't wait. I may try to bring a bottle of wine via rumrunners just for drinking in our cabin as we'd rather spend our money on Abu Simbel, shopping, etc.

Hi Tinkindling

We leave this Sunday for our trip to Cairo and the River Tosca. I am glad that you had a great trip. I have a couple of questions for you, I hope you can answer.

Did you eat any salads on board the ship, and did anyone in your party get sick?

Did the ship dock far from Luxor and was there engine smells in the cabin? What deck was your cabin on and was the ship full?

thanks for any info

Karen

Hi Tinkindling

We leave this Sunday for our trip to Cairo and the River Tosca. I am glad that you had a great trip. I have a couple of questions for you, I hope you can answer.

Did you eat any salads on board the ship, and did anyone in your party get sick?

Did the ship dock far from Luxor and was there engine smells in the cabin? What deck was your cabin on and was the ship full?

thanks for any info

Karen

Just in case you don't get a reply.. Many people on board the Miriam ate salads and other condiments and no one became ill (from any of the food served on board) that I was aware of. The boat docks a little south of the center of Luxor. No smells from other boats engines but keep your window closed. They are very polluting and noisy, running all night. We were on the Starboard side, deck 2, forward. All the boats are approximately the same size so I imagine the Tosca is pretty much the same as the Miriam, but much nicer:-)

Prepare to be amazed by the wonderful sights you will be seeing. Have a great trip

49er

Karen

We are about to book the Spendors of the Nile cruise on the River Tosca and would greatly appreciate a brief review of your experience on both the trip and the ship.

Thanks, in advance, for providing the information.

Hi Tinkindling

Hi again,

We did eat salads, and no one in our group suffered. My wife and I took Dukoral (sp) two weeks before we left, though.

Our cabin was on the second level. The Tosca, unlike other Nile ships, seems to get a dockside berth every port. Other ships tie up alongside each other. In Luxor, it docks about a half mile or so from the centre of Luxor. It is actually very close to the entrance to the temple of Karnak.

No smells in our cabin at all. Ship had about 55 people out of a possible 80.

Our group: Jewels of the Nile and Lake Nasser was only six, plus an excellent guide. This trip was our honeymoon, and the catering crew did a fantastic job of putting on a honeymoon party in the dining room for us after someone tipped them off.

Uniworld did put on a good show, and no worries about the Tosca, it is very elegant and intelligently designed, with very large staterooms and gorgeous bathrooms.

This is very helpful - thank you! Any "red flags" on your trip we should be aware of? Anything you should have brought that you didn't? We're taking advantage of a deal the week we're going, so have upgraded to a Category 1 cabin on the Pyramid deck, fore.

Did you use the laundry facilities? We know we can't pack an iron, but were wondering about getting things pressed on the ship. I know on Carnival Cruises there is generally a room with an iron for passengers to use, and on RCC they will press your items for a small fee.

We just returned from Splendors of Egypt and the Nile.

The entire tour - from meet/greet at Cairo International to the return transfer 13 days later to Cairo International - was virtually flawless.

Our rooms at the Cairo Marriott at both the beginning and at the end of the Nile portion of the tour were comfortable, quiet, well air-conditioned and faced the Nile. The elevators in the Zamalek tower are under renovation, so there are long delays. Ask for a room in the Gezira tower.

The included buffet breakfast was good. We had dinner twice in Egyptian Nights, which was excellent, and two really wonderful late lunches, after touring, in the main dining room. The sampling of Egyptian dips (Meze) was fabulous. As we extended our time in Cairo by one day for additional sight-seeing, we were able to venture out locally to Abu-el-Sid for dinner, an authentic Egyptian restaurant within walking distance from the hotel. The food was excellent, and there were many locals dining there - always a good sign (make reservations).

The flights to and from Luxor, where we boarded Tosca, were on Egypt Air. The flights to and from Abu Simbel from Aswan on the optional half-day excursion, however, were on Air Mephis, an airline with a dubious safety record. The choice of this airline is the single aspect of the trip that did not come close to the standard of excellence and safety which Uniworld markets. http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/memphis.htm

The River Tosca is a fine vessel. Our stateroom on Pyramid Deck was spacious, tastefully appointed and meticulously serviced by the wonderful attendants. The bathroom rivaled those of a 5 star European hotel in size, features and amenities. The public rooms were tastefully appointed. Although small in scale, they had the feel of public rooms of a small Relais and Chateaux hotel. The teak topside deck with its canopied beds, sumptuous loungers and canopy-covered area, not to mention a pool and combined wading area, drew the attention of passengers on other riverboats when they moored alongside Tosca. A few very minor finishing issues, which originally caused Uniworld to remove the vessel from service for a while, still remain and are being addressed.

The dining room featured excellent buffets at breakfast and lunch and a limited menu, Continental in style, for dinner. The food, overall, was excellent, particularly the lunch buffet which featured many Egyptian specialties. The salads, fruits and vegetables were always fine and caused no problems. Wine was available for purchase. The Maitre D' reserved the same table for two for us for each meal.

The crew was, for lack of any other word, sweet. The service was provided with a degree of politeness, enthusiasm and willingness to please not seen on mass-market cruiseships.

Our tour guide - Abdu - who was with us for every step of the tour, including the inter-Egypt flights, the visits to the temples, museums and excavations, etc., was knowledgeable and passionate. As an Egyptologist, he made the history of this amazing ancient culture even more captivating and compelling.

This was arguably one of my best trips ever. While the primary purpose of this trip - to see the splendors of Egypt - was accomplished, a secondary benefit was a most positive introduction to the river cruise concept, a first for me.

Well-done, Uniworld.

Archived