Uniworld's River Tosca?

next trip?

Rosie01,

That is great. We will be looking forward to meeting you too. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we will be on the River Tosca. I have received so many dates from uniworld that I won't believe it until I actually hear that the ship is on their first tour. We booked over a year ago and the ship was to be completed in April, 2009, then it was Sept.1st, then Sept 15th and on and on. When I called about 4 days ago they assured me it would be Oct. 12th!!! I still am puzzled on why there isn't more publicity. They ( Uniworld) still have the same picture and same press releases that they have had all year!

Hope your surgery went well and you are on the Nov.14th cruise on the RIVER TOSCA! We are so excited about this trip! The time will be here before you know it. Are you doing the tirp to Abu Simbel? My husband and I are doing that one.

We are leaving for CA for 7 days on the 20th of Oct. and returning on the 28th, so that will just leave us a little bit of time to get ready for Egypt!

next trip?

I just got off the phone with Uniworld. The Tosca did NOT make it's Oct. 12 sailing. I was told that the interior design was not up to Uniworld's standards and it is being finished this week. The Oct. 19 sailing is the next one and it should be sailing by them, but I would'nt hold my breath. My Nov. 2 sailing might be the maiden voyage. We shall see.

Thanks Westlakeed for the update. That is unbelievable!!! When I called yesterdy AM they assured me it was in the water and sailing! Just to verify that I had my husband call yesterday afternoon from a different phone line and they assured him that it was sailing! I am really beginning to wonder how the stories can all be so different and what is actually happening!!! Wouldn't you think Uniworld would know if the Interior was up to their standards or not before they tell you it is "definitely" sailing????

I am really beginning to wonder if we won't be put on an older ship at the last minute which was exactly what we were hoping to avoid!!

Please keep us informed! Thanks for the newest update.

next trip?

I find it it really amazing that UniWorld keeps giving their customer's the run around on the status of the Tosca. This is our 1st cruise/tour with them and I have real concerns about the company. Not sure what their next excuse will be but I am sure they will find some reason. I am beginning to wonder if the ship actually exists! Also, before we left on our cruise to Hawaii (Sept 23) we booked an extra night pre cruise at the Cairo Marriott and the rep said she would send an e-mail confirmation right away. So far, nothing has arrived yet so I guess we will be on the phone to see what is going on.

Next Trip 2, Have a great trip to California. Raining cats and dogs here today which is a good thing but there are concerns about run off in the burn areas. Things should be nice and dry down in Desert Springs though. BTW, We used to live in Redondo Beach many moons ago. Tony's on the pier was one of our favorite places:-)

49er

Yes, 49er I agree with you! This seems to be quite the run around. I had my husband call s a few mins. ago and the story they gave him was that it needed to be cleaned and the furnishings were not up to Uniworlds' standards. That was the same story I received 2 weeks ago---how long does it take to clean a ship??? I could furnish an entire mansion very luxuriously in a very short time if I had an unlimited budget! I really feel like I am not getting the "true" story---whatever that may be!

Our son lives in Redondo Beach. Yes, we love Tony's and also years ago used to go to Millies. Loved it,but it is no longer there!

Let's think positive thoughts and hopefully we will be sailing on the River Tosca soon!!!

This will be our 3rd trip with Uniworld and up to this point have thought very highly of them. Our past 2 trips were wonderful--- h great service, prompt replies, attention to detail, super cruise managers and tour guides. Everything was just as they said it would be! Thsi has been the exception but makes you hesitant to book with them again!

next trip?

The official e-mail Uniworld has from Egypt is the Tosca is going thru final touch-up finishing before her sailing on Oct. 19. It seems that Egyptian workers don't work quite as fast as western workers, so that is why the ship is not quite ready. There is a large group on travel agents on the 19th Oct. sailing (not me) so the ship should be ready by them. I will keep you informed.

Thanks Westlakeed for that information. Please keep us informed.

We leave Oct. 21st for Palm Desert, CA for a week so I would really like to know that we will be on the River Tosca for our Nov. 14th cruise. Then I can relax and enjoy my time in CA. We get home from CA and then only have about 10 days before we leave for Cairo. it sure wuld be nice to know everything is in order!

Maybe they will push it a little bit since there will be Travel Agents on that first cruise. It will be nice to hear their comments--if you do, please pass them on! Hopefully everything will be wonderful!

Thanks again for taking the time to keep us updated.

next trip?

I just called Uniworld to get the update on the River Tosca that is "supposed" to be sailing today. I forgot about the time difference so as of now they do not have any information. The TA told me to call back in about 3 hours..

All of you good people on CC keep your fingers crossed!

next trip?

I just spoke to Uniworld. My contact said the Tosca is sailing today. They usually receive an e-mail from Egypt on Thursday if the cruise is not going on the following Monday. He said they did not get anything, so the sailing should be going. I will call again tomorrow to confirm.

Thanks jperkins1 for your well wishes. We are sooooo excited and it sure helps to know that the ship is finally sailing! I will write a full report when we return. it hardly seems possible that a trip I planned almost a year ago is finally here in just a few weeks!

next trip?

Hi all--

I'm thrilled to find a blog on the Nile Tosca cruise. I've been in touch with Uniworld and was told just today that the ship sailed on the 16th. Hope to hear from someone who's actually on the trip. Would anyone like to weigh in on which of the cruises is preferred: Spendours? Jewels? How about the February cruises? I heard the mid month cruises are filling up. Is there an elevator? or chair lift?

Looking forward to hearing from fellow cruisers,:cool:

Jete

Hi all--

I'm thrilled to find a blog on the Nile Tosca cruise. I've been in touch with Uniworld and was told just today that the ship sailed on the 16th. Hope to hear from someone who's actually on the trip. Would anyone like to weigh in on which of the cruises is preferred: Spendours? Jewels? How about the February cruises? I heard the mid month cruises are filling up. Is there an elevator? or chair lift?

Looking forward to hearing from fellow cruisers,:cool:

Jete

Hello Jete, welcome to Cruise Critic, We are booked for the Feb 27 Uniworld "Splendors of the Nile". We picked that tour because of the itinerary and being on the new ship "Tosca" for seven nights. This ships inaugural sailing had been delayed many times and are glad to hear she is finally underway. Some travel websites claim there is an elevator on board but in talking to Uniworld, they say "No elevator". Not sure about a chair lift. next trip2 will be sailing in a few weeks and she has said she will give a review upon her return.

49er

On the Uniworld Facebook page they just posted about 15 photos of the River Tosca.

Wow! Really beautiful!

Thanks letsgo39 for the link. Now we are REALLY getting excited about our trip. The ship looks beautiful.

49er

We are also on same trip with Cool Trip? and chose "Splendors" because of the week on the Nile as we understood from friends that this is the high spot. We will probably try to go to Abu Simbel as this is supposed to be spectacular. We are getting excited and hope all the bugs are worked out by November 16 when we embark. We have traveled to a lot of places but never on a river cruise and most are associated with my husband's work. Egypt is one of the areas that is really appealing to us. Looking forward to meeting Cool Trip? Pictures on Facebook make the River Tosca look great. Hopefully someone will send a review from this current sailing.

My wife and I will be on the Tosca on Nov. 2. We are doing Splendors and leaving L.A. next Friday(30 Oct.). We are also doing a tour of Petra after the cruise and will be back in L.A. 0n Nov. 15.

I will try and post a report when we get home.

Hello westlakeed,

Have a great trip and we will be looking forward to any comments you might have about the Tosca and the trip in general. We have a ways to go (next Feb) but are really looking forward to this journey, our first to Egypt. Our neighbors visited Petra earlier this year. What a fantastic place that is.

49er

Hi

My friend and I are traveling to Cairo for a uniworld tour and opted to purchase our own airline tickets to save several hundred $. However, what are the options for getting from the Cairo airport to the Marriott Hotel? Our trip commences the end of April and we are so excited.

We are booked on the February 12 trip of Uniworld's Splendors of Egypt. We are anxiously awaiting reviews from the early cruisers on River Tosca.

Does anyone have experience/advice on Visas for Egypt. Uniworld recommends getting the ahead (cost ~$200 for two). Others say to wait and get Visas upn arrival (cost ~$30)

HELP!!

Getting an Egyptian Visa is a cinch. Go online and find the Egyptian Consulate that handles your area ( not a company that is a Visa service).

Download the application and send it with a passport size photo, your passport and a money order to the consulate address (Visa service section). Make sure you send it Express mail (trackable) and include a Express mail envelope (paid for) with your return address. I got mine back in two days.

Just returned from Palm Springs so now comes the final "getting ready" for Egypt! I have my lists all made, now it is just gathering up everything and trying to stay within a reasonable weight limit!!!

Westlakeed,

Have a wonderful time! We will be leaving befor eyou return so won't get to see your trip report until afterwards. I know it will be an excellent trip!

Letsgo39,

You mentioned 15 photos of teh River Tosca on Facebook. I would love to see them but have never used facebook. When I tried to just put in Facebook.com I didn't get anywhere. Any suggestions??

If my grandchildren were here I could ask them--seems like they are always on a facebook. Guess I am behind the times!!

Thanks,

next trip?

Archived