Tight budget! Can you have fun in ports for $100 for two?

SoCal09

No problem:

-in Haines, for about $100 a couple you can rent a car and head north into some spectacular country - http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/haines_highway.html

- in Juneau, for about $80 a couple you can take shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier and then the tramway up Mt. Roberts

- in Ketchikan, for $2 a couple you can take the city bus to Totem Bight Park ( http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/2007/page5.html ) and then just sightsee the town on foot (Creek Street being the must-see).

Murray

Sorry - just realized that Skagway is not one of your ports! Oops! But as Yukon mentioned above, you can take a ferry from Haines to Skagway. Actually, that is what we did several years ago when we were just doing a land tour on our own...

No problem:

-in Haines, for about $100 a couple you can rent a car and head north into some spectacular country - http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/haines_highway.html

- in Juneau, for about $80 a couple you can take shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier and then the tramway up Mt. Roberts

- in Ketchikan, for $2 a couple you can take the city bus to Totem Bight Park ( http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/2007/page5.html ) and then just sightsee the town on foot (Creek Street being the must-see).

Murray

Your photos are amazing!! Loved, loved, loved you pix of the Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier! We are taking that tour and I am just jumping out of my skin...I can't wait!!

Thank you so much for your wonderful pictures and very poetic narrative!

You can get a taxi for $75 an hour in Ketchikan. It would take 3 hours to really see enough to feel you've been there. But if you look for another couple to share expenses - the cabs can take up to 6 people - you could possibly do 3 hrs for $20 a person!

Your photos are amazing!! Loved, loved, loved you pix of the Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier! We are taking that tour and I am just jumping out of my skin...I can't wait!!

Thank you so much for your wonderful pictures and very poetic narrative!

Thanks very much, suzyed - good luck at Tracy Arm! :D

Rather than taking a taxi in Ketchikan (or any other port), look for a local tour guide. They usually have several tours to choose from , or most do a custom tour. Look for a locally operated one, run by someone who lives in or near town year round. You would need to book these ahead of time. Check past posts for names.

I would suggest considering renting a car in all 3 ports. Gives you a lot of freedom to explore the sights and scenery in each port.

BTW, we will be sailing with you. We are doing b2b-booked as a 14 day-beginning on May 10. There is a roll call for May 10-24 which includes folks doing 1 ways then as well. Can't remember off hand if you are signed onto it or not.

We are going on the HAL Statendam 5/17 with stops in Haines, Juneau and Ketchikan... Is a $100 budget for two per port realistic? Any ideas on what would be fun to do? Thanks so much!!

There are so many different things to do in Juneau that don't cost anything or very little. I was working on a list for our trip by searching the internet this morning. We did a whale watching trip with Harv & Marv on our last trip to Juneau. It was money well spent. This time I'm on a strict budget. Here's my list so far. Additions and corrections welcomed!

Walk the trail up Mt. Roberts, take the tram down (free)

Look for the statue of Patsy Ann near the docks

Alaska State Museum $5

Free guided tour of State Capital

St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church

Alaska Brewery & Bottling Co. (free tour & tasting)

Juneau Public Library (great view of ships & free internet)

Bus to Mendenhall Glacier $7, walk the trail to waterfall

Window shop

My nephew and wife went a few years ago and said they hiked for free at each port, then found a local pub afterwards.

We are going to ISP, Skagway, and Juneau ... I found free hiking trails/maps are available for each. If you're into hiking, maybe google for trails at your ports ... ck State Parks sites too.

Have a great time.

We are going to ISP, Skagway, and Juneau ... I found free hiking trails/maps are available for each. If you're into hiking, maybe google for trails at your ports ... ck State Parks sites too.

Many of the free Alaska cruise port maps listed at http://www.youralaskacruise.com/alaska_cruise_ports-maps.html have hiking/walking trails marked.

In Ketchikan we found a city/wildlife tour when we got off the ship. The person was a schoolbus driver and during the summer, used her bus to give tours. I think it was about $25 pp. She took us to a place where there were hundreds of eagles nesting, flying around, catching fish..It was fantastic. Then on to a nice city tour, logging area, Totem area and then back to the main shopping/eating area. Definitely a good deal and she grow up in Ketchikan and had lots of interesting info. Check around the pier when you get off the ship, you are likely to find something similar.

Archived