Lodging near Anchorage airport

Texas Tillie

I haven't booked the cruise yet (Ryndam sailing July 10th), but the price is so low I'm thinking that I will have it booked by tomorrow at this time!:p I will need to spend one night in Anchorage before taking the HAL transfer to Seward. (This is my third time in three years to Alaska, so I've done Denali, etc. before and will save that for my next trip!) My understanding is that HAL has a bus transfer that leaves from ANC and goes to Seward. Is this correct? If so, I think I need to stay as close to airport as I can for a "reasonable" (for Alaska) cost. Since I'll be traveling alone, I want it to be as safe as possible. So, what do you think are the 2 or 3 best places to stay for one night - in the airport area, possibly with a shuttle to/from the airport. Thanks in advance!

I've been doing research and have found that the Hampton Inn and Fairfield Inn both look good. They aren't too close to the airport, but both are listed as having free shuttles to the airport. Also, both have free breakfast. The reviews I've read on both are pretty positive. Has anyone stayed at either and do any Anchorage residents have any input on either, including the neighborhood, etc. Thanks!

If you are spending the night, you have to catch the bus at the Egan Convention Center, not at the airport. The Convention Center is closer to downtown. It is literally 5 minutes from the hotel we are staying at, the Wildflower Bed and Breakfast.

If you are spending the night, you have to catch the bus at the Egan Convention Center, not at the airport. The Convention Center is closer to downtown. It is literally 5 minutes from the hotel we are staying at, the Wildflower Bed and Breakfast.

I'm on HAL doing the transfer to Seward. My travel agent said that the transfer is from the airport. I thought it was Princess that does the transfers from the convention center. Of course, I'll verify this before I make a reservation.

Although we haven't stayed at the Anchorage Hampton Inn, they are our favorite places to stay when we travel (love that bed, their coffee, and the breakfast is a little more than the typical hotel breakfast). The area is perfectly safe...it is just hotels and restaurants on that corner. I think I counted 5 restaurants (chains) on that corner last week, and the hotel itself is fairly new. Fairfield Inn is in the same type of location, but I don't recall offhand if there are any restaurants within walking distance there.

Both were built in those locations to be convenient to the airport.

If you stay at the Fairfield, you aren't too far (walking distance for some) from the Old Seward Hwy. location of Arctic Roadrunner. If all you want for dinner is a burger, try this place. It sits on Campbell Creek, and you can watch the salmon swim by if you sit outside. Indoors, the walls of plastered with photos of customers...real pictures, not "here we are eating in the restaurant." Things like fishing, hunting, traveling, etc. Perhaps the hotel shuttle will take you there.

Mytime53, thanks for the information. This will be my third summer in a row to Alaska :D - the the first time without a land tour before the cruise south. The rates were sooo cheap that I just couldn't resist. I thought that those two places were in a pretty good neighborhood, but both times before I've been downtown (Hawthorn and Capt. Cook) and the bus took Spenard to Minnesota (I think those are the names) and then into downtown. Then I've been on the highway up by you on the way to Denali. I'd like to put in a request for dry weather this year - it was a little damp last year! However, after 2007 when we saw the Great One 3 days in row and had bright sun and 80 degrees in Ketchikan, I knew I'd used up my lifetime allocation! So, if you could please see that my message gets to the proper authorities!!:p:p:p

Patty (aka Texas Tillie)

We booked for one night at the Comfort Suites which is right outside the airport property. I understand that it is a new hotel so it is in good condition. I don't know about the neighborhood or places to eat around there though.

We booked for one night at the Comfort Suites which is right outside the airport property. I understand that it is a new hotel so it is in good condition. I don't know about the neighborhood or places to eat around there though.

We're doing the Comfort suites airport too, seems like a good hotel, brand new so no reviews to speak of. I tried ALL the clearing house travel agencies...Hotels.Com, Orbitz, Priceline etc. Couldn't find a decent one under 200$...Priceline didn't have the same *** rating as others on hotels, so was difficult to picture what you might get until you went up to 3***, and they aren't taking any offers at near 50% off in June. Finally got my best price right on Choice Hotels site. They will transfer you FROM airport and TO the train in the morning free! I do NOT know what is nearby to eat tho thay have a free buffet and food out in time for us before we leave for the train I was told (must be to station at 5:45am or so, why I'm not sure as it leaves at 6:45) SO that would be nice to know what is near to dine at in the evening.:confused: Wonder when the poster will be at the Hilton for $89., as in June it's around $200!!

Archived