Transportation - Gatwick to Southampton

My wife and I are sailing on June 6, and will be landing at Gatwick early that morning.

We're trying to shave every penny off the non-cruise related expenses. After all, wouldn't you rather spend it on a Cognac than a train?

What is the cheapest transportation option from Gatwick to the Southampton terminal?

Obviously, time is of some importance, so a free trip via Edinburgh doesn't suit our needs.

Hi wcudmore, and welcome to CC!

My wife and I are sailing on June 6, and will be landing at Gatwick early that morning.

We're trying to shave every penny off the non-cruise related expenses. After all, wouldn't you rather spend it on a Cognac than a train?

What is the cheapest transportation option from Gatwick to the Southampton terminal?

Obviously, time is of some importance, so a free trip via Edinburgh doesn't suit our needs.

First: I think that you are already taking some risk on board by flying from Toronto to Gatwick and arriving the day of the cruise. That, I assume, will be one of the low-fares? Little backup if something goes wrong.

Second, you can't demand cheapest and fastest at the same time. Does not compute.

Third, the cheapest is to walk. But it will take you a very long time.

Now, what are the real parameters involved here? What's wrong with the train, seeing as you mention it?

Hi wcudmore, and welcome to CC!First: I think that you are already taking some risk on board by flying from Toronto to Gatwick and arriving the day of the cruise. That, I assume, will be one of the low-fares? Little backup if something goes wrong.

That has to do with booking time off at work. Can't change that. Flight arrives at 8:30 am, and the ship sails at 5 pm, so we can afford to lose a few hours on the flight and hire a cab as an emergency backup measure.

Second, you can't demand cheapest and fastest at the same time. Does not compute.

I didn't. I was wondering what options there are, and if there is a small trade-off that can be made.

Third, the cheapest is to walk. But it will take you a very long time.

Actually, it's cheaper to stay home, but that's no fun.

Now, what are the real parameters involved here? What's wrong with the train, seeing as you mention it?

Frankly, the train is likely the best option. However, the conversion from CAD to GBP is just ridiculous, and the converted fares are absurd compared to what we pay here. I'm just exercising due diligence.

Frankly, the train is likely the best option. However, the conversion from CAD to GBP is just ridiculous, and the converted fares are absurd compared to what we pay here.
It's £18.60 one way for a trip of over 80 miles. What's absurd about that?

Trains from Gatwick are direct, about 2 hrs, and depending on the time you travel can also be cheaper than coach.

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/gatwick_southampton.htm is a very useful site for travel details/contacts

National Express operate an hourly coach service at about £25 pp but change at Heathrow, total journey time about 3 1/2 hrs, you need to book. http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm

Taxi would be 1 1/2hrs plus. And megabucks in any currency.

Southampton coach/rail stations are both a £5 to £10 cab ride from the cruise terminals.

Or, if your flight is seriously delayed, Easijet or Flybe from Gatwick to the first port-of-call :)

Fingers crossed, have a great cruise John Bull

It's £18.60 one way for a trip of over 80 miles. What's absurd about that?

I was being quoted £37.40, which I guess is return, even though I was asking for one way. (Going to downtown London on the way back)

That price is much more reasonable.

the conversion from CAD to GBP is just ridiculous

The conversion rate is fabulous compared to what it was a few years ago. I once went to London when the conversion rate was something like 1 pound=$2.35. It's hovering around the $1.80 mark now.

I was being quoted £37.40, which I guess is return, even though I was asking for one way. (Going to downtown London on the way back)
Yes, that price must have been two one-way fares. Even a first class one-way is only something like £28.00

If you're going back to central London, the better train service is the one from Southampton Central to Waterloo, which is operated by a different company from the one that operates the Victoria-Gatwick-Southampton service. This makes the fares a bit more complicated, because you would have to have a ticket that's valid on both trains.

There is also another complication in that the Victoria-Southampton fare is cheaper than the Gatwick-Southampton fare (whether bought on a one-way or round-trip basis), even though it's a longer distance between Victoria and Southampton. I'm not an expert on this, but I think it means that you can't buy the cheaper Victoria-Southampton-Victoria ticket and get on at Gatwick on the way out to Southampton; and I suspect that if you buy a Gatwick-Southampton-Gatwick ticket it may not be valid for travel beyond Gatwick to Victoria on the way back, even though the ticket ending at Gatwick is more expensive.

In any case, the train between Victoria and Southampton takes about twice as long as the train between Waterloo and Southampton, which is why the Waterloo service is better.

So I think what I'd be inclined to do is to buy a ticket when you arrive at Gatwick. Tell the ticket office that you want to do Gatwick-Southampton-Waterloo. Ultimately, you may just have to buy two one-way tickets for that.

Gatwick Southampton £10pp (£20 upto 4 adults kids £1)

Southern rail daysave ticket.

http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=189

IMO this by far the best option as long as the times fit.

2hrs so not much more than the quickest option by private car 1:30+.

Going via london is not worth the effort even if a bit cheaper.

Take the train. It's the best (balance of price/speed/ease) solution. I completely agree however on the flying in day of cruise. If you're going into LGW from YYZ, that means you're flying Air Transat, Fly Globespan or another discount charter airline, who are notorious for delays.

a taxi from "Southampton Central" train station to the cruise terminal is only a mile or two (depending on the dock), and should be 5-8 GBP

Archived