JUST RETURNED FROM PRIDE with 22 month old twins

trace1208

EXCUSE ME....how dare you criticize my parenting. I did not go anywhere when my child was sick. If you read correctly she became sick when we got home. Stalk much, what r u followingmy posts everywhere. I was posting because I myself was suffering from flu like symptoms....now attacking my parenting or my caring for my child is just being a b****. You people are unbelievable, this was intended to be an informative post and now I have come under attack for breaking a rule and now being accussed of something inaccurate. Find someone else to attack!!!!!

I have to enter my opinion...

We were on the IOS and our 15 month old son stayed in the splash area made for the babies. He was miserable and kept watching his older brother and friends in the big area. We are big swimmers and our son is used to being in the big pools with his older brother.

Even with the crying and temper tantrum, we respected the rules and kept him out! Rules are there for the protection of everyone, and need to be respected by everyone!

aflynn-i am beyond the rules part now, rugrats edited her post which originally insinuated that I traveled withh a sick child, when my post said we were on Cozumel Thursday and she became sick Sunday, the day after we returned. NO WHERE DID I INDICATE THAT I STEPPED FOOT ON PLANE WITH AN ILL CHILD. I take great offense to the accusation, I would die for my children, and believe I almost have, if I needed to cancel a trip because my daughter was sick i would have. Now its just rude and character bashing, funny how quick she edited her comment.

Princess is suppose to have a strict no infant in the pool rule. But I haven't been on them so I haven't seen them in action.

The ships that have "fresh water" isn't really fresh water. It's filtered ocean water. Still no buckets of chlorine. The RCCL ships that have fresh water - same thing.

They empty the pools at night. Refill and filter the water during the day. But it's all ocean water.

Both RCCL and Princess employ "Deck Patrols" and their sole job is to keep an eye on the pool decks and make sure that no rules are being broken. I took a picture of the Deck Patrol on RCCL. She was asking parents to remove infants from the pool and redirecting them to the splash zones. And she was asking older kids to stay out of the baby pool.

Good for the deck patrols for making sure that the rules are not broken. I always feel like it's not my place to tell others what to do. (YES.. I know.. it does affect us all.) I don't recall seeing anyone on the Voyager telling anyone to leave the pool and there were babies in diapers walking along the ledge in the 3 inch shallow section. But again I want to add that if the employees of the cruise lines are not enforcing the rules, it's not hard to see why people are ignoring the rules. It's not like there's a directive put out as to WHY it's not safe for children in diapers to be in a pool. People will just ASSUME it's no different than a regular pool. The cruising population that reads this message board is small so it really is up to the patrols to make sure the pool is safe for everyone.

I also think the cases of people getting sick from swimming in the pool must be pretty small or the pool patrol would be much more strict in enforcing the rules. (that is not to say that I would not be pissed (pun intended!) if I or my family got sick from a contaminated pool.) Just curious.. does CDC check pools when they come on board to check food etc?

I also did not know that all pools were drained every night. I have not seen an empty pool since my first cruise in 2002. Every pool, every single night? Obviously.. I've been asleep when this is done.

I admit to being one of the clueless when we first started cruising. There was a baby pool on our first Carnival cruise and my grown son took my granddaughter in. EWWW! is right! Fortunately it was just the two of them!! :o

This thread has definitely been an eye opener. Perhaps the cruise lines need to put a little note in the welcome papers about pool rules for families traveling with young children.

Cruisingram,

Actually the Carnival Capers daily paper ALWAYS includes a note about the pool rules and operating hours, including the fact that diapered children are not allowed in the pools.

And I know what you mean about cruiselines needing to step up and start enforcing their own rules. It's a shame when they look the other way and force their own customers to become confrontational with potentially belligerent passengers with an attitude.

Just don't mistake the cruiseline's lack of spine for proof that developing illnesses from pools are rare. There are many diseases, including swine flu, that you can catch and not develop any symptoms until almost a week later. :eek: By then, it would be very hard to discover the source, especially when you've been all over the ship and all through various ports.

wow lady jag you just keep with the jabs dont you. Apparently now according to you swine flu is carried through cruise ship pools a few more of your posts and my twins will be the sole cause of swine flu being worldwide.

I am so sorry I tried to be friendly and nice and share my cruisin experience. You alone have turned me off completely from wanting to refer to this site anymore, besides that fact that I feel the need to defend myself, especially when you feel the need to attack me, whether blatantly or on the sly. PLease I ask kindly to refrain from bashing me personally as you have continued to do.

aflynn-i am beyond the rules part now, rugrats edited her post which originally insinuated that I traveled withh a sick child, when my post said we were on Cozumel Thursday and she became sick Sunday, the day after we returned. NO WHERE DID I INDICATE THAT I STEPPED FOOT ON PLANE WITH AN ILL CHILD. I take great offense to the accusation, I would die for my children, and believe I almost have, if I needed to cancel a trip because my daughter was sick i would have. Now its just rude and character bashing, funny how quick she edited her comment.

Normally, I would not respond to such nonsense, but this is absolutely not true. I made no comment about you boarding a plane with sick child.

The portion I removed was where I noted in your post that you said YOU were feeling poorly before you boarded, which had nothing to do with your child. I edited this out in fairness to you, after I read further and saw you were suffering from allergies. Allergies would not be a condition that would prevent you from cruising as they are not contagious. Therefore, post edited to remove any reference to an illness you may have brought on board with you, as of course, allergies couldn't be spread.

The point of that post was merely to wonder if your child could possibly have become ill from a bacterial infection spread by contaminated water from all those children wearing diapers in the pool. No one will ever know that, but it's a good illustration of why this rule is in place.

I wish you could go back and read what you wrote because your original post before edited commented on my traveling with a sick child, but im done with this arguement. Your right my daughter could be sick from that or the room and toys and camp carnival or anything else and we will never know, so now write a letter to carnival and complain to them, because there was no note in my capers in regards to diapers, I checked daily!!!! I did what I chose to do as other parents on board did also. I highly doubt my daughter got sick from there, but Ill never know where she got sick from, luckily she is fine, and gratefully it was not swine flu as I was originally concerned with.

wow lady jag you just keep with the jabs dont you. Apparently now according to you swine flu is carried through cruise ship pools a few more of your posts and my twins will be the sole cause of swine flu being worldwide.

I am so sorry I tried to be friendly and nice and share my cruisin experience. You alone have turned me off completely from wanting to refer to this site anymore, besides that fact that I feel the need to defend myself, especially when you feel the need to attack me, whether blatantly or on the sly. PLease I ask kindly to refrain from bashing me personally as you have continued to do.

Wow, when did I EVER say swine flu was from pools? I merely stated the FACT that you can develop symptoms and not even notice it for almost a week.

And I thought you said you were done with these boards anyway, so why do you feel the need to keep defending yourself against my reply to someone else?

She just used a current virus thats in the news. In fact, many viruses can be spread in many different ways (be it food, railings, pools, etc) on a cruise ship. Yes, this includes swine flu.

You said your twins did not have swine flu so how could anyone even remotely imply that they are the "sole cause" of it.

I am by no means a germaphobe. But as an ER/trauma nurse I do hope I am realistic about the possibility of exposure in certain settings and do little things to help decrease the risk to me and my family.

FTR though, I too think a non potty trained child really should not be in a non chlorinated pool for healthy safety reasons.

For the arugment of "even potty trained kids can have an accident", urine as stated by a pp is NOT the health concern, its feces.

And it would be much more rare for a potty trained child to accidently poop while swimming without anyone being aware of it.

trace1208, thanks for the info. thats so funny about the naked ladies everywhere. do not let these nasty comments ruin the memories that you have of your vacation with your children! whether you are right or not, people need to get a life;)

WOW.

So, a rule was broken, I would not have done it but as was pointed out, people break the rules all the time. It is just easier to point out when someone else does it!

THe issue with the kid in the pool. More adults probebly pee in the pool then the kids, so people need to get over that. IF swim diapers were on and poop did not and could not get in I do not see this as a HUGE deal.

Should she or anyone do it because of the rule, no. Just because other's were doing it does not make it right and is not a good example. BUT is it really, really hurting anyone?

Again, just my $.02.

WOW.

So, a rule was broken, I would not have done it but as was pointed out, people break the rules all the time. It is just easier to point out when someone else does it!

THe issue with the kid in the pool. More adults probebly pee in the pool then the kids, so people need to get over that. IF swim diapers were on and poop did not and could not get in I do not see this as a HUGE deal.

Should she or anyone do it because of the rule, no. Just because other's were doing it does not make it right and is not a good example. BUT is it really, really hurting anyone?

Again, just my $.02.

YES! It IS hurting someone. Or at least has the potential to hurt everyone using the pool and all the people they come in contact with. As someone pointed out, pee in the pool isn't the big deal. It's the feces in the pool that spreads diseases. Which is why Carnival has this rule, as mandated by the health department.

Swim diapers do not keep poop out of the pool.

WOW.

Again, just my $.02.

Poop can get out of a swim diaper very easily so yes even microscopic amounts of feces in a pool can really hurt people.

Archived