Customs question

northerner

We are going to Costa Maya, and have learned of an orphanage an hour from port. We have three suitcases packed for them, but have noticed on our travel doc's that we can not bring "goods" into mexico.

Will customs let us off the ship with suit cases full of teddy bears, school supplies and tooth brushes?

Please help quick we leave Thursday! (and before you flame me, I did a search, and posted on the Costa Maya board a week ago, but had no luck)

Any help is appreciated, Happy Cruising, Theresa

, but I will ask the contact I have been given. I really can't visit the place, am only leaving stuff at the local real estate office at the port. Good Idea, ask Bart Stupack, my congress man. I'll call him tomorrow. You really are them man with the answers aren't you. Thank you so much derf. You are tops in my book! And congrats, on the first grand child! Awesome! Happy sailing, Theresa

I was there last October, and took three large boxes of school supplies to the local schools with no problem. We just carried them off, no one even asked to look at them. There were about 10 of us passengers and we all had about the same amount and left the ship at the same time. One of the cruisers had done this numerous times before with no problem. Hope it is the same for you! Great cause!

Kathy

You don't have to go through customs when you disembark at Costa Maya. You just walk down that loooong pier (or take the shuttle) and you're there. To get to the village of Mahahual you take a short taxi ride. BTW, I never once saw any kind of government type officials the entire time we were there, just a few soldiers outside of the tourist area between Costa Maya and Mahahual.

Well, spent the better part of the day on the phone with every governmental agency I was referred. Finally I called Carnival, they said to call the Mexican embassy, who couldn't have been less helpful if they haddn't answered the phone. I guess we will just stuff them in small backpacks and make a few trips on and off the ship to deliver them. Now I kind of regret buying the biggest teddy bears we could find. Thanks for trying to help.

Should we fill out the customs form when we get on the ship or just not make a fuss? I can't imagine being arrested in Mexico for smuggling teddy bears and tooth brushes.

Well, spent the better part of the day on the phone with every governmental agency I was referred. Finally I called Carnival, they said to call the Mexican embassy, who couldn't have been less helpful if they haddn't answered the phone. I guess we will just stuff them in small backpacks and make a few trips on and off the ship to deliver them. Now I kind of regret buying the biggest teddy bears we could find. Thanks for trying to help.

Should we fill out the customs form when we get on the ship or just not make a fuss? I can't imagine being arrested in Mexico for smuggling teddy bears and tooth brushes.

LOL Government agencies can be like that. If your mind is set on brining these items you "could" try to call the US Embassy there. Pain in the butt, but if you want to do it...

I seem to recall a thread of this type last year sometime either on the HAL or Celebrity boards. You could also post this on the Seabourn board. Pretty hepful as long as you don't mention Carnival ;)

You fill out the customs form before you reenter the US. Things you're taking to Mexico and leaving would not need to be listed. Frankly, I wouldn't waste anymore time calling all those governmental agencies. They probably are unaware that past cruisers have taken gifts to the local school. When all else fails, ask a taxi driver and they will take you where you want to go to leave the gifts.

We scuba dive and take TONS of stuff off the ships. Three big bags and have never been asked what is in there. No one needs to know you don't intend on bringing the stuff back on board! :D .

And I do believe that Goods...means as in COMMERCIAL GOODS (i.e. offered for resale!)

Oh and when in doubt...always..always get the BIG teddy bear!

from one big teddy bear to another....

As far as the ship is concerned, you are probably better off not asking. If you ask the purser's desk if it's OK, they will go by the book, tell you that you have to clear the items through customs, etc. There is a thread on the Floataway board of people that take stuff to an orphanage in Roatan, Honduras and they have faced the same issues. Many people have just walked off the ship with bags of stuff and not been challenged. Others have gone to the purser's desk, had to file a complete inventory, wait on board for hours after arrival, and THEN walked off the ship with the stuff without being challenged. Sometimes better to ask forgiveness than ask permission.;)

I took your advice and presented my 6th grade girl scouts with my delema. They came through with 5 back packs and we stuffed everything into them. :D We will each carry off one back pack and go to the real estate office to drop off then I will reboard the ship and get our snorkle gear and things we need for our day in port.

I am again amazed at the generosity of the people on this board, you are the best! We leave in the morning and I will post a review and let everyone know how we faired when I get back. Happy cruising to all! :) Theresa

Archived