It pays to keep checking prices after booking

Iowa-Cruiser

I am assuming most of the well travelled cruisers here know this, so this is a note to all the other newbies from a newbie....

After reading a post on here about checking on prices after you have booked, I did that. I went through the HAL site and made a dummy booking to get the price for the cruise and noted the price had dropped by $700 pp for an SB suite on the Zuiderdam. I spoke with a very nice young lady at HAL and ended up with a price even lower than that which was quoted on the booking page on the web site.

So to all the other newbies - keep on checking the prices, it could pay off nicely.

That is great! You can do that up til final payment ..right?

Right. And even after final payment, if there's a drop in prices, sometimes a really good TA can get an upgrade for clients.

I received refunds on 2 separate price drops. $1060 almost immediately after I had made final payment and then another $880 about 2 weeks later. This was on Celebrity and I needed only ask.

That's why I love my TA - She takes care of these things for us.

I love your TA, too---for the same reason!

I had read (on CC) of a price drop on my upcoming Rotterdam cruise. I e-mailed her to ask if she would check if it applied to my booking. She was already way ahead of me. :D

Please remember that our guidelines do not permit either recommending TA's or soliciting recommendations from others.

...Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges...

Generally speaking most agents are able to offer almost the same price for most cruises so the difference is in the quality of service, not in pricing.

what? i didn't know this and i kept asking my TA, and all she did was offer me upgrade, but not to price match.

i'm going on the zuiderdam alaska cruise may 23rd. i paid $855 for an obstructed view outside cabin. the prices went down several weeks ago, and it was $755 for an outside cabin, without an obstructed view. should i have gotten a refund?

My TA said that if you're fully paid for, there's nothing you can do. They offered me several upgrades since that time...but I was quite upset and I don't want to spend any more money with a company I wasn't happy with. This is my first cruise.

what? i didn't know this and i kept asking my TA, and all she did was offer me upgrade, but not to price match.

i'm going on the zuiderdam alaska cruise may 23rd. i paid $855 for an obstructed view outside cabin. the prices went down several weeks ago, and it was $755 for an outside cabin, without an obstructed view. should i have gotten a refund?

My TA said that if you're fully paid for, there's nothing you can do. They offered me several upgrades since that time...but I was quite upset and I don't want to spend any more money with a company I wasn't happy with. This is my first cruise.

Generally, after the final payment due date, fares for already-booked guests will not be reduced even if lower prices are advertised. At that point, most of the sales are "for new bookings only", as HAL wants to get heads in beds and fill the ship ... little incentive to reduce pricing for those fully paid and already committed to being onboard.

As to upsells (vs. free upgrades) ... those can be offered as late as week of sailing.

Sorry, but I have no experience with upgrade offers after final payment date and, therefore, can't speak to that.

sorry, i should've noted that they tried to upsell me...not free upgrade me.

it's very upsetting to find out that people who book much later than i do are getting a lower price and a better cabin.

Did you book a specific cabin or was it a guarantee?

Price reductions outside of your grade can be trickier, but you need to make sure your travel agent is at least making an effort to call HAL and try to get a refund. You can even try calling HAL directly.

Archived