What DO you pay for and what DON'T you pay for?

M.Gardener

Hi All, I'm so glad to have found this forum. I am planning to go on my first cruise in May, on Celebrity's Millenium. I've read quite a few reviews, but am still confused about how all this works :cool: . For example, the Aqua Spa looks really great, but do you have to pay to use the facilities? And what about other facilities and services? What about excursions - are these always extra? And when is food included and when do you have to pay extra?

I'm sure these seem like very basic questions to you experienced cruisers! but it's a bit confusing when you're new like me! :rolleyes: Sure would like some feedback and thanks!

Hi there, I have cruised a lot so feel free to ask away!

Yes you pay for anything in the spa area, (more than on land!) unless you have a suite on celebrity, then I think you get free use of the spa pool.

All meals are free, (incl 24hr room service) unless you want seperate dining for two, in a more private romantic setting, then there is usually a small little restaurant on board, with a minimum cover..usually $25.00

Shore excursions are usually marked up, and expensive, you can get cheaper excursions seperatlley if you do your research. I do this, and save a lot. Depends where you go and what you want to do...

You pay for all drinks, except for juice, iced tea, coffee and tea...

Let me know what else I can help you with.

Let's start with the most important thing first - food -

Breakfast, lunch and dinner in the main dining room or the buffet (or outdoor grill) is included in your cruise fare, as is room service (but please tip a few dollars each time). Afternoon tea, food served at the spa pool, and food served at midnight is also included. On the Millennium, you will pay extra for the Olympic restaurant, which is their specialty restaurant. It's $30, I believe, and well worth it. You will also pay extra for beer, wine, mixed drinks, bottled water, and soda anywhere on the ship. There is a cafe that serves pastries which are included, but the specialty coffees that are made there are charged.

Excursions are an extra fee. You can book those at home before you go, on the ship, or you can book through a company that you find on your own.

There is a charge for all spa and salon services, except the steam room and sauna. There is a spa pool on the Millennium called the Thallosotherapy Pool, and it is free (adults only, I think). Spa services include massages, facials, wraps, etc., and the salon is like a full-service beauty salon. The treadmills and weight machines are free; I don't know about the aerobics classes.

Hope this helps.

Please read the Celebrity board here for lots of answers. It's been four years since we were on a Celebrity ship. We're going again this month. Excursions on Celebrity are extra. Check out the ports of call board for details about the things people do on their own. For some ports, it's worth the peace of mind to book through the cruise line. In others, it's so easy to make arrangements on your own and save a lot of money over what the cruise line charges. Be sure to budget for tips and drinks (if you like to inbibe or drink sodas).

FEMH has pretty much told you similar to me, so that should all help you.

As suggested check out your itinerary, ports of call and decide what you would like to do...the cruise critic home page has a selection of port reviews that will help you with lots of info..Are you travelling alone or with others?

Celebrity is my favorite..great service and quality...

Once you take your first cruise you will catch the "bug" and be an addict like us on here!

Do you leave the tip on the table, as in a restaurant, or I have heard someone say something about the envelopes? Everywhere you eat or drink something, should you leave money behind?

I would hate to stiff someone, not knowing I should have tipped.....:eek:

You don't leave money on the table.

For drinks, the tip is automatically added to your bill, which you sign for. I don't know hoew Celebrity does it, but on some criuise lines, tips are added to your bill, and on some lines you give envelopes to your steward, waiter, etc at the end of the cruise.

Archived