Newcastle upon Tyne, port of call

Hello everyone! :)

I am a solo cruiser looking to do as much exploring on myself as possible. So far, I have found excellent information on this forum on my upcoming Norwegian Fords and Baltic cruise in May. (So thank you to all posters!)

Unfortunately, I haven't seen another post about Newcastle upon Tyne and what information I find elsewhere doesn't seem cruise-oriented.

I will be at the Port of Tyne on May 31st. I would like suggestions on transportation from the Port of Tyne to Newcastle itself.

These questions come to mind:

1. Is there a bus, taxi, or train service close to the port?

2. What is the approximate travel time from port to town?

3. What are the approximate costs p/p for each?

And one last question:

What is the one thing I shouldn't miss in the area, be it an attraction, a place, a shop or a restaurant.

Merci beaucoup from Québec city.

Kindy

Hello everyone! :)

I am a solo cruiser looking to do as much exploring on myself as possible. So far, I have found excellent information on this forum on my upcoming Norwegian Fords and Baltic cruise in May. (So thank you to all posters!)

Unfortunately, I haven't seen another post about Newcastle upon Tyne and what information I find elsewhere doesn't seem cruise-oriented.

I will be at the Port of Tyne on May 31st. I would like suggestions on transportation from the Port of Tyne to Newcastle itself.

These questions come to mind:

1. Is there a bus, taxi, or train service close to the port?

2. What is the approximate travel time from port to town?

3. What are the approximate costs p/p for each?

And one last question:

What is the one thing I shouldn't miss in the area, be it an attraction, a place, a shop or a restaurant.

Merci beaucoup from Québec city.

Kindy

The ship is berthed at tyne dock, just up from the ship is a large outdoor mall,take a bus from here to Percy Main,about 3 mins bus ride, 2 stops(you can walk) ,from here to Metro station,get the Metro into Newcastle, every 9 mins, getting off at the Monument,last but 1 stop.

Newcastle is a wonderful shopping area,Monument is in the heart of Eldon Sq,look it up on the web

Buy an allday bus / metro ticket from the bus driver,£3.50p?

And one last question:

I would say the three bridges - The Millennium Bridge, The Tyne Bridge and the swing bridge shown below.

newcastleBridges.jpg

Newcastle is to the right of the photograph and Gateshead to the left.

Walk across the Millennium Bridge (foreground) and you can visit the Baltic centre (Art) and the Sage (music) in Gateshead.

p.s. The shopping mall next to the Port of Tyne is called the Royal Quays and is worth a visit.

• 3 months later...
Did anyone visit Hadrian's Wall? The castle and the wall look really interesting. Can someone tell me if this is doable on my own?

Thanks!

I'm not sure which castle you mean?

You don't say how long you have to visit the wall or what form of transport. The wall is 73 miles long and stretches across the width of northern England.

These websites may be of some use:

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/hadrianswall/

http://www.hadrians-wall.org/page.aspx//Tour-Operators,-Transport-Providers-and-Guides/List-of-Tour-Operators,-Transport-Providers-and-Guides

I'm not sure which castle you mean?

You don't say how long you have to visit the wall or what form of transport. The wall is 73 miles long and stretches across the width of northern England.

These websites may be of some use:

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/hadrianswall/

http://www.hadrians-wall.org/page.aspx//Tour-Operators,-Transport-Providers-and-Guides/List-of-Tour-Operators,-Transport-Providers-and-Guides

Sorry... I am only going to be there for the day. I was just wondering if the wall was right inside the city center where you could explore it from there, or if you needed to travel a bit out of Newcastle to see some of it? Yes, I did know it stretched across Northern England. I am not sure the castle name either... just what was posted on my cruise port literature but I was hoping it was close to the city center also. I will go back and try to find out what that castle is. It looks gorgeous!

Thanks for the links... I will go check them out. Any information on Hadrian's wall close to Newcastle would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry... I am only going to be there for the day. I was just wondering if the wall was right inside the city center where you could explore it from there, or if you needed to travel a bit out of Newcastle to see some of it? Any information on Hadrian's wall close to Newcastle would be greatly appreciated.

You want Segedunum, in the Wallsend district of Newcastle:

http://www.twmuseums.org.uk/segedunum/

Just a hair further out from the city center, and perhaps a bit more what you had in mind....the South Shields Arbeia:

http://www.twmuseums.org.uk/arbeia/

There's no Hadrian's Wall at Arbeia and only a very small part of it at Segadunum. Both worth a visit though.

Don't forget that the ships dock at North Shields, not actually in Newcastle itself, and you would have to get the ferry over to South Shields if you haven't got a car.

Archived