Our T/A on the Vision - with stops for Mamajuana, Nude Snorkeling and Mama Chang

I have been a member of the Sailor Jack fan club now for a while, and this latest installment has lived up to all of my expectations....

I do have two questions for you....You wrote....

OK, it was coming back to me now. We were at the ultra chic restaurant, El Meson de la Cava. Situated in a magnificent natural limestone cave far below the city of Santo Domingo, the restaurant occupies a cavern that was once used as a hideout by pirates – perhaps most notably by the infamous Bermudan pirate Long John Shortts. The restaurant is, in a word, awesome. Ancient Taino artifacts and artwork decorate the limestone walls, and narrow crevices and secret passages lead into private nooks and hide-a-ways that provide secluded and romantic tables for those in love - or even married couples.

This sounds like a great place, can you tell us what the cost of the dinner was? Did you take a taxi to get there, and how safe did you feel roaming around at night?

My other questions is.... really, how far down was your guarantee cabin located? Did the noise continue or did you manage to get an upgrade???

I have been a member of the Sailor Jack fan club now for a while, and this latest installment has lived up to all of my expectations....

I do have two questions for you....You wrote....

OK, it was coming back to me now. We were at the ultra chic restaurant, El Meson de la Cava. Situated in a magnificent natural limestone cave far below the city of Santo Domingo, the restaurant occupies a cavern that was once used as a hideout by pirates – perhaps most notably by the infamous Bermudan pirate Long John Shortts. The restaurant is, in a word, awesome. Ancient Taino artifacts and artwork decorate the limestone walls, and narrow crevices and secret passages lead into private nooks and hide-a-ways that provide secluded and romantic tables for those in love - or even married couples.

This sounds like a great place, can you tell us what the cost of the dinner was? Did you take a taxi to get there, and how safe did you feel roaming around at night?

My other questions is.... really, how far down was your guarantee cabin located? Did the noise continue or did you manage to get an upgrade???

We took a taxi to the restaurant. We stayed at the Melia and it was an $8 cab ride. Dinner, including appetizers, entrees, wine, and tip was about $80. The restaurant was outstanding and we both agreed it was probably one of the best we have eaten at. Service was outstanding and the food was excellent. We made reservations as soon as we got to the hotel, but there were empty tables and we probably could have eaten there without reservations.We had no problem walking around, but avoided some areas.

We actually did get an upgrade on Deck 2. You should know, however, that I took some literary latitude in describing our room;)

Edited by SailorJack

We actually did get an upgrade on Deck 2. You should know, however, that I took some literary latitude in describing our room;)

NO!!! You don't say. ;):p:D

I'm embarassed to say its true:eek:

I'd say give you 10 lashes with a wet noodle for that but I'm afraid you would like it!!;) I guess we'll have to forgive you the slight liberties!:p

SailorJack,

Very well done!

------------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

Previous Cruises

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2001

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

Something in 2009 - just have not decided yet

RCCL Oasis of the Seas - April 17, 2010

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day - 2011

I realise I'm on my own here with my thoughts of this review, but I prefer a more factual type of review style.

However, each to their own.

I was also on this cruise, and on the 7 night Caribbean cruise prior to the transatlantic.

I shall post my review of both cruises and of the Vision of the Seas shortly....

J

I knew when I opened this, it would be refreshing, funny and entertaining. You never disappoint. Loved it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way......did you sail on the QE2 recently???

Thanks for your comment. Have not been on the QE2. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your comment. Have not been on the QE2. Am I missing something?

Read a review (not on cruise critic.....was in my AAA magazine) by Jack, whose wife's name is Jill (I won't say last name). Thought it might be you, but it was a serious review (not funny at all), so couldn't be you, unless you have a serious side and write for a living. Hope you have another cruise planned. I have read them all.

OMG that was the FUNNIEST thing I have read in years ..... Thank you for a great read Sailor Jack.... and to think I got in trouble when I told SWMBO I would not book below deck four as I had heard all the rooms below that came with a pair of overalls and a large coal shovel !!!!

BTW could I get one of your screensavers ???? It sounds great .....

Cheers

David

Thanks for the comment. Loved the overalls and coal shovel bit. Wish I had thought of it;)

With respect to the screen saver....its mine, I tell you...mine mine mine!:)

Okay, have read them all and am starting a SailorJack fan club!:D

Actually you should be concerned, I am becoming a stalker... searching out your next cruise and hope to book it just so I can rub shoulders with you and SailorJill!! (shoulders, that's all, I promise...) (is that like elbows?)

I'm now reading the COMMENTS on the reviews. Please, cruise again SOON so there's another review!

Denise, you can join me in the stalking club!!! I've been a follower since the beginning!

Actually you should be concerned, I am becoming a stalker... searching out your next cruise and hope to book it just so I can rub shoulders with you and SailorJill!! (shoulders, that's all, I promise...) (is that like elbows?)

I'm now reading the COMMENTS on the reviews. Please, cruise again SOON so there's another review!

OK - you and wrp 96 are a hoot!:D I am just glad that you two enjoy reading my "reviews" as much as I enjoy writing them.

We have tentative plans for the Jewel of the Seas western TA in September, but have not come anywhere near to finalizing them. SailorJill wants to do a Med cruise so we are still researching.

You are much too late...Jack has a huge following and fan club already!.....Plus the movie script deal is being worked on as we read this.....

Edited by CAC104

We have tentative plans for the Jewel of the Seas western TA in September, but have not come anywhere near to finalizing them. SailorJill wants to do a Med cruise so we are still researching.

Can you wait a year to do that westbound Jewel TA?:D

Another thank you to Sailor Jack. I wonder if they make that Mamajuana here in Puerto Rico....

Phyllis

I can't find it in Atlanta, but you can get it online. However, the only online ones I can find are non-alcoholic:eek:, so you would have to add the rum and wine after you get it:D.

PS. Does anyone know how to get rid of this countdown clock!

Edited by SailorJack