All things "Victory"

richbum

I would love to go to St. Maarten, but I'm very sorry that Antigua is being dropped. We absolutely loved it there. The beach was the 2nd best (after Barbados). We had a great tour and a wonderful day there.

What I would like to see them do with Victory - change from the all port itinerary (it was great but I would never want to do it again), and go to alternating cruises that had sea days in there. Basically, split the current itinerary but only call at half each week. Keep Antigua and at St Maarten. There are other ports where they could call.

Imagine how great a B2B would be from San Juan that stopped at all those great islands but also gave you some sea days? It wouldn't be necessary to have those couple of extra days post cruise to recuperate, since you'd be able to get a little rest on the cruise.

Will never happen, though. It's so expensive to fly to San Juan that people probably wouldn't want to have to chose between the two itineraries and would want to continue to cram as much as possible into the 1 week.

Do they sell bottled water? We have a suite with a fridge and we were planning on going to a Walgreens to get some Cokes and water. Because we did not want to carry them 8 blocks (distance from Sheraton) we were going to have our taxi take us to Walgreens on the way to the hotel, but if the duty free store has Cokes and water we could get it there and it would be way easier.:) We are sailing on the Oct 25th, Halloween cruise. I am really enjoying reading all the posts about the Victory, can't wait to see her in person.

We are just off the Victory; we sailed 9/27. The duty free store on the 2nd floor is way better than the one one the first floor. Although the first floor store did have some amazing prices on authentic Swiss Army knifes.

My wife and I dont drink that much. We purchased 1 bottle of Barcadi rum for like $9.95. I then went back down and bought 6 packs of Coke, Diet Coke, and Sprite - a case in all - for $3.95 per 6 pack. The dude behind the counter was cool and gave me 2 J+B whiskey promo "bucket" hats that we loved, and also a Skyy vodka football that came in handy on Magens Bay beach.

I DID NOT see bottled water for sale in either of the cruise terminal shops. Sorry ....

I did end up buying Absolute flavored vodka in the SJU duty free airport store on the way home; 750 ml bottles for under $10 each !!

Edited by PurpleDog

I would love to go to St. Maarten, but I'm very sorry that Antigua is being dropped. We absolutely loved it there. The beach was the 2nd best (after Barbados). We had a great tour and a wonderful day there.

What I would like to see them do with Victory - change from the all port itinerary (it was great but I would never want to do it again), and go to alternating cruises that had sea days in there. Basically, split the current itinerary but only call at half each week. Keep Antigua and at St Maarten. There are other ports where they could call.

Imagine how great a B2B would be from San Juan that stopped at all those great islands but also gave you some sea days? It wouldn't be necessary to have those couple of extra days post cruise to recuperate, since you'd be able to get a little rest on the cruise.

Will never happen, though. It's so expensive to fly to San Juan that people probably wouldn't want to have to chose between the two itineraries and would want to continue to cram as much as possible into the 1 week.

We are with you NCTribeFan. We loved all the islands and especially Antigua, :):(. Valentine was a great tour guide, and the people and beaches were wonderful. But you are right, six islands in one week is a bit much, and the trip back to Denver was LONG to say the least.

Your idea of B2B with three islands each would be a blast. Spending a day in SJ before, in the middle and after the cruise would be a great way to see more of the island.

Do they have any specials on the ship on the DOD coupons for four drinks? Online they are $21.25 and you get 4 DOD coupons. I thought that they might have a special the first day or something that was cheaper? Probably just wishful thinking.
The online coupons are good for any drink but if the drink is more than the coupon you must pay the difference. But you are going on the Victory.....just stop by the duty free store!

Anyone travel on Victory in May? What was your weather like?

We are booked for May 16 as our son is getting married on this cruise. I have heard several opinions on the weather at this time of year and was looking for first hand information.

mikeqube:

What did you find was the best way to get to Maho Beach? Are the private taxi's the best, etc? I've never been to St. Maarten, but Maho Beach looks AWESOME!:D

We took a taxi there. I forget how much it was, but I seem to think it was around $30 for the two of us. The driver asked how long we were going to be there and picked us back up when she said she would.

Quick question - what time can you def be off the boat in St. Thomas?

I know carnival's website says 7:00 a.m. for arrival, but I need to know about what time I can be off the boat.

As with any port of call, the actual time is up to local authorities clearing the ship. Typically 20-30 minutes but it can be longer. Once the ship is cleared, those with ship arranged shore excursions are given disembarkation priority.

Mike

We are booked for May 16 as our son is getting married on this cruise. I have heard several opinions on the weather at this time of year and was looking for first hand information.

I was on Victory this past May. I guess you didn't read the entire thread, eh? :p

If you want to go back a few pages and find my posts, I'm sure I linked to my review. Or if you don't want to read all there to know that is in this thread, you can click on my name and click the "threads started" which will bring up my review thread as well.

I thought it was a great time to cruise. Partly cloudy some days; no real rain to speak of except up on the mountain in Dominica, but we were getting wet on our excursion anyway, so not a big deal.

Anyway, it's all in my review.

YoungOne - I was in 7205 - again, it's all in my review.

I know these "All Things ...." threads get really long, but the purpose is to put as much useful info as possible (not just pretty pictures), so it may take a while to wade through it all, but there's lots of helpful stuff throughout the thread.

I was on Victory this past May. I guess you didn't read the entire thread, eh? :p

If you want to go back a few pages and find my posts, I'm sure I linked to my review. Or if you don't want to read all there to know that is in this thread, you can click on my name and click the "threads started" which will bring up my review thread as well.

I thought it was a great time to cruise. Partly cloudy some days; no real rain to speak of except up on the mountain in Dominica, but we were getting wet on our excursion anyway, so not a big deal.

Anyway, it's all in my review.

YoungOne - I was in 7205 - again, it's all in my review.

I know these "All Things ...." threads get really long, but the purpose is to put as much useful info as possible (not just pretty pictures), so it may take a while to wade through it all, but there's lots of helpful stuff throughout the thread.

Thanks, I read the review of the trip and am even more excited to go. Did you have a booked time for dining? If so what time? I am booked for early dining, at 6:00pm.

Just got back yesterday from my first cruise ever, carnival liberty western Caribbean. Planning my next cruise and really want minimal seas days and St Lucia/Barbados. Seems like the victory fits the bill. I live in GA so I have an array of airports within a few hours drive to fly to PR. Any advice anyone can offer would be great appreciated. I read about a third of the thread and I'm sold basically by the itinerary, but wondering when the best time is to go for a cheaper rate. Probably would go this Spring-Fall :)

Actually I have read ALL of it TWICE. I detest having to ask questions if they have already been answered although I answer them a million times if they are asked of me that many times. I also clicked on your name and waded through your posts and eventually gave up, didn't see a "thread started" option but I will look again.

I read reviews here on CC about Victory (about 50 of them, as I recall). Reviews can be a impersonal. I came to this post looking for first hand information from someone I could talk to and pick the brain of if need be.

Thanks for your helpful answer; I will continue researching.

Edited by Havinsnest

Hey Havinnest! We were there this past May and the weather was perfect. Not a drop of rain. However it is the Caribbean!

does anyone that's been on victory recently know if they are selling cruise vouchers? we'll be on her in three weeks and would love to buy one to use on an alaska cruise next year!!! thanks:rolleyes:

Hey jenms2000! This is according to John Healds blog on Oct. 12th. But don't take it as gospel as he is sometimes misinformed:

"As of now they are only selling them onboard the Carnival Liberty, Carnival Valor, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Splendor or Carnival Conquest. Hopefully they will be extended fleetwide soon."

Just got back yesterday from my first cruise ever, carnival liberty western Caribbean. Planning my next cruise and really want minimal seas days and St Lucia/Barbados. Seems like the victory fits the bill. I live in GA so I have an array of airports within a few hours drive to fly to PR. Any advice anyone can offer would be great appreciated. I read about a third of the thread and I'm sold basically by the itinerary, but wondering when the best time is to go for a cheaper rate. Probably would go this Spring-Fall :)

It appears that September 12th 2010 is one of the lowest priced.

We sail on the Victory Sunday. This will be the second time we sail on her. The first one was a 5 day Canada Cruise out of New York. She is a beautiful ship and are counting the days. Can't wait. We have also sailed out of San Juan before. It's a beautiful sight leaving the city at 10pm with all the lights. Besure and watch from the front of the ship as you sail away.

Hey jenms2000! This is according to John Healds blog on Oct. 12th. But don't take it as gospel as he is sometimes misinformed:

"As of now they are only selling them onboard the Carnival Liberty, Carnival Valor, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Splendor or Carnival Conquest. Hopefully they will be extended fleetwide soon."

thanks beentravelin. i sure was hoping they sold them on victory, oh well, i guess i'll have to book a cruise on one of the ships you mentioned!!!:rolleyes:

I just read someones post that they were in an odd numbered cabin/aft and said they were on wrong side??????? Isnt aft the back? They said its better on other side of ship? I thought it all depends when approaching and leaving ports.....I am on the starboard side? I think, thats the right side when you look at deck plan? Should I have chosen the other side???? It was so expensive I wanted it to be perfect!

I just read someones post that they were in an odd numbered cabin/aft and said they were on wrong side??????? Isnt aft the back? They said its better on other side of ship? I thought it all depends when approaching and leaving ports.....I am on the starboard side? I think, thats the right side when you look at deck plan? Should I have chosen the other side???? It was so expensive I wanted it to be perfect!

I am also on the starboard side and have heard from some that this side is not facing the port at most islands. However, it depends on which itinterary you are doing. From what I have read and read and read--I think that for us becuase we do not have St. Lucia (we have Antigua) in our itinerary it changes our route slightly so I hoping the starboard side will work for us...?

Great pictures everybody!!! I am sailing on Feb. 21, 2010, on the 7-day southern caribbean. Does anyone have puictues of the window in a 4G cabin? (specifically 7th floor, I am in cabin 7202)[/quote

Hi youngone 94,

Just thought I'd say hi as my wife and I will also be on the Carnival Victory on Feb. 21. As for all of the pictures on this thread, I am just LOVING them. Great pictures by everyone LOVE them all. Keeps me daydreaming all day long at work hoping the time to embark comes quickly. Thank you all for the great pictures and keep them coming!!!!!!!:D