Port of Mobile

Boethius

Just in the embryonic stage of planning a girl's get-away. Mobile is only about 6 hrs from us, so it would be more convenient than driving down to Ft Lauderdale. Looks like Carnival's "Holiday" is the only ship with carib cruises from this port. Anyone have any experience with this ship? Also we haven't yet determined a date- is October a good weather-time to sail or would May (2010) be better?

Thanks in advance for any info:)

Mobile will host a different ship later this year (nov I think???) Fantasy will be porting out of there instead of Holiday.

Mobile port is super easy to get to and to get through. Personally I would wait and sail on the Fantasy. We enjoyed the Holiday but it's not one I want to do again.

Just in the embryonic stage of planning a girl's get-away. Mobile is only about 6 hrs from us, so it would be more convenient than driving down to Ft Lauderdale. Looks like Carnival's "Holiday" is the only ship with carib cruises from this port. Anyone have any experience with this ship? Also we haven't yet determined a date- is October a good weather-time to sail or would May (2010) be better?

Thanks in advance for any info:)

The Fantasy is moving to Mobile this fall. I'm not sure when but I know it is going to happen this fall. When the Fantasy gets there, the Holiday will be moving to Europe. The Fantasy is a bigger, nicer ship than the Holiday.

I'd think the weather would be nice in October or May. October is right in the middle of hurricane season though.

It looks like the Holiday is sailing Mexican cruises in October. I would wait and go on the Fantasy - or just drive the two hours to New Orleans and cruise from there if October is better. Or if you wait until late your could go on the Triumph out of New Orleans when the Fantasy is in Mobile.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantasy moves to Mobile in November. Holiday is adequate, but Fantasy is a couple steps up from Holiday. If the money were similar (and I think it is), I would wait and go on Fantasy.

Mobile is a nice port. Small, super convenient to sail from. I think it's much easier to navigate than New Orleans. Of course, there's more to do in New Orleans if you want to extend your trip by a day or two.

I'd wait. Cruise out of FLL.

The ship currently in Mobile is due for renovations and/or being scrapped.

(anyone know for sure?)

Apparently, until they get a harbor in Mobile that can take bigger ships, it's where ships go to die.

October is NOT always a good month to sail because of hurricanes. We live an hour from Mobile and the last big hurricane that hit us, hit them hard also. The Gulf of Mexico gets very rough if there is a hurricane anywhere around. As for sailing out of Mobile that is great, but I agree that it is best to wait until the Fantasy gets there later this year. It is a bigger, nicer ship, and the price should still be good. Have fun!!:cool:

(anyone know for sure?)

Apparently, until they get a harbor in Mobile that can take bigger ships, it's where ships go to die.

Guess you are kinda out of the loop good buddy. A new 1600 foot turning basin is currently under contract; scheduled for completion late 2009. And no, the Holiday is not scheduled to be scrapped; she will be renovated and become a part of the fleet of Iberocruceros, a Spanish cruise line owned by CCL.

(anyone know for sure?)

Definitely a barge load of BS.

The Holiday's last sailing is Nov 2nd. It will dock back in Mobile on Nov 7th. From there she will go to Italy for a 4 month drydock. When done, she will be renamed the Grand Holiday and join her sistership, the Grand Celebration.

Nov 10th is the first sailing of the Fantasy on a special 6-night, 3-port cruise to Cozumel, Progreso, and Costa Maya.

The Harbor (actually the Mobile River) in Mobile had no problems with the Fantasy class ships as well as the NCL Sun and NCL Spirit who have done drydocks there. The turning basin is 1000 feet.

The issue is more with the terminal than the ships. The gangway will not reach the deck that you board on the newer ships. This is being resolved with a new $3 million gangway. The next issue will be where to park all the vehicles. When the Fantasy and Holiday were both using the terminal at the same time due to the oil spill on the MS River, offsite parking lots were setup.

The Fantasy holds 2052 at double occupancy. So if everyone is two up in a vehicle that will be 1026 vehicles. There will be some that fly or be dropped off, so realistically it probably will be around 650-700 vehicles that will need spaces. If I remember correctly, the terminal has capacity for 500 vehicles.

Dave

Hey OP,

There are some great deals for the Holiday in October.

If September/October was not the busy time at work I would be booked in an instant.

You could probably snag one of those bargain cruises and be ready to cruise again in the spring.:)

Definitely a barge load of BS.

The Holiday's last sailing is Nov 2nd. It will dock back in Mobile on Nov 7th. From there she will go to Italy for a 4 month drydock. When done, she will be renamed the Grand Holiday and join her sistership, the Grand Celebration.

Nov 10th is the first sailing of the Fantasy on a special 6-night, 3-port cruise to Cozumel, Progreso, and Costa Maya.

The Harbor (actually the Mobile River) in Mobile had no problems with the Fantasy class ships as well as the NCL Sun and NCL Spirit who have done drydocks there. The turning basin is 1000 feet.

The issue is more with the terminal than the ships. The gangway will not reach the deck that you board on the newer ships. This is being resolved with a new $3 million gangway. The next issue will be where to park all the vehicles. When the Fantasy and Holiday were both using the terminal at the same time due to the oil spill on the MS River, offsite parking lots were setup.

The Fantasy holds 2052 at double occupancy. So if everyone is two up in a vehicle that will be 1026 vehicles. There will be some that fly or be dropped off, so realistically it probably will be around 650-700 vehicles that will need spaces. If I remember correctly, the terminal has capacity for 500 vehicles.

Dave

The port authority "claims" that they can solve this issue by re-striping the parking garage, which they say was originally striped with very generously sized parking slots. I think some changes may be in the works anyway with the construction of the maritime museum next to the terminal.

The port authority "claims" that they can solve this issue by re-striping the parking garage, which they say was originally striped with very generously sized parking slots. I think some changes may be in the works anyway with the construction of the maritime museum next to the terminal.

They will have three days in which to do it as the Holiday's last docking is Nov 7th and the Fantasy arrives Nov 10th. I am still trying to figure out a way onto the ship from NOLA to Mobile. It will be one heck of a party since they will not have any passengers onboard.

Dave

• 3 months later...

I LOVE the port of Mobile!

Of all the ports that I've sailed from, it's by FAR the best. It's a fairly new facility with a multi-level garage attached to it. It's easy to get in and out of, and also, it has some of the friendliest personnel I've ever dealt with, making the whole embarkation and debarkation process one of the easiest ones I've ever experienced.

As someone mentioned, the Holiday is leaving. As much as I'm going to miss this little older ship, the Carnival Fantasy is going to be a nice upgrade.

The Fantasy is a larger ship who also had the multi-million dollar Evolutions of Fun renovation. The Serenity Area and Carnival Waterworks area were added. Also, several public areas were renovated. Passenger cabins were also refurbished.

Unless you're planning on sailng on a larger, newer ship, or wishing to visit a destination only served from south Florida, I don't see a reason to drive the extra mileage.

(anyone know for sure?)

So much mis-information is one post. Amazing:eek:

The Holiday is a great little ship, but it is on it's way out. The POrt of Mobile is by far the best/easiest port to get in or out of with some of the industries friendliest staff.

The Fantasy is coming and will be there in November. Iam am looking forward to sailing on her.

Archived