Costa's answer to Credit Crunch

Alan2504

I came across this on one of the other boards posted 6th May, I thought it was of interest:

"We did a short 7 day cruise in the med. with Costa cruises.

We boarded at Barcelona. Two days later at Savona which is the regular start of the cruise, Costa decided to cut the price of certain drinks by 50%. It included draught beer, wine by the glass, all alcoholic and non alcoholic cocktails.

So a pre-dinner Margarita cost just over 3 euros including 15% service charge.

A 40cl ice cold Carlsberg beer cost 2.59.

I was told it was an experiment for two weeks to see if a decrease in price will result in an increase in sales.

Other cruise lines take note."

Wow.

Just for comparison, when we were on Costa (I think the same ship you are talking about as it is now in the Western med.) in April, the cost of the large 40cl carlsberg was 4.50 euros +15%, so a total of 5.175 euros.

And yes, we limited ourselves to one drink per evening max simply because of the prices. If they had been at the prices you have given we would certainly have had a lot more.

We were on the Concordia on the same cruise with Sparky so I can echo what she says above. My favourite drink for example was priced at €4.70 + 15% - a price which was a little high but which I accepted - we're on a cruise, what the heck! Two days ago I just returned from Paris where I had the same drink in the bar of my hotel - priced at €14! Consequently I won't complain about drink prices on Costa cruise ships... Ciao Sparky!

Ciao Capricruiser. :) I hope you and your wife are well.

All I can say is, that it must have been a very nice hotel in Paris.. ;) We have a tendency to call in to the backstreet bars for a 'nightcap' rather than our Hotel lounge. ;)

Although I must agree, we do tend to accept higher prices when on holiday and wouldn't dream of letting it spoil it for us. It would be nice though if prices were reduced somewhat. I'm sure it would result in an increase in sales and maybe an increase in their profits too?

Archived