First Time Disabled Cruiser: Where to Start?

My grandfather has had a stroke and now has mobility issues. He can walk with a cane, but not for long distances. We are also concerned about his mobility when you factor in the rocking of a cruise ship. We are looking into a scooter for our upcoming trip on NCL Star. Currently we are in an AF suite and they have the BA cabin next door (not HA). I know on previous cruises I have seen scooters parked just outside of the door to cabins. Since there are 3 adults in this room, can we expect that he could park his scooter outside the room? I can't see any HA rooms on this deck of the ship, but maybe I'm missing one. How do cruisers on scooter get on/off the ship? Is there a service elevator they can use? We are flying on American; what do I need to know about getting a scooter on/off the plane with us? Is there a charge for transporting it?

Basically, I have no idea what arrangements we may or may not need to make since this is our first time traveling with a disabled person and a scooter. (I didn't even know there was a "Disabled Cruise Travel" section on this board until ARWENMARK pointed me to it from the NCL board!) Any tips you can share will be very appreciated.

Before you do anything, have him checked out here with a good PT on a scooter. Many people who have had strokes have one-sided neglect or hemianopsia and are not safe in power mobility as they can easily drive off a curb or into someone on that side. A scooter also really requires the use of two hands to steer, not just one.

I would suggest that no matter what you do, not NOT plan to park a scooter in the hallways. Most cruise ships no longer allow this, and it prevents anyone else in a wheelchair from getting down the hallway. It is a safety hazard.

In addition, if you father needs to get up to the bathroom in the middle of the night, will be be safe by himself, esp. with the 6" step into the bathroom? If not, try to get a handicapped room.

I would recommend that you take a manual wheelchair (not a travel chair) with you. This can be taken ashore on tender ports (unlike a scooter or power chair) and use to get places by cab if he cannot climb the stairs into a bus for tours. If you are traveling with family, you can take turns pushing the manual chair on the ship.

I will second the recommendation to get a PT to assist you in getting the right scooter for your grandfather. I thought I needed an electric wheelchair but due to my particular problems it was suggested that I purchase a 4 wheel scooter which is just what I need to get around my neighborhood. They asked lots of questions, weighed and measured me, and watched me walk, stand, balance etc. I needed the scooter with swivel chair that also rises to help me stand. Their assistance was invaluable. However this scooter is quite large and I later purchased a travelscoot specifically for travel. While not perfect for me it is excellent for travel.

You should try and get a HC cabin. Rather than worry with a scooter on the plane, there is a company called carevacations that will rent you the scooter. It will be in the cabin when you arrive and you leave it when you debark. Worry free and not a hassle.

Please remember, a non accessible stateroom will not have the bathroom easily accessible to someone with mobility problems. If the ship does encounter rough seas, this could be a problem for even basic trips to the restroom. Not even mentioning the shower aspect, which would also be very difficult in a regular stateroom.

And I do agree, most cruise lines do not allow scooter or wheelchairs to be parked in the hallways anymore. They used to, but have now changed their rules because of safety issues and accessiblity for other passengers trying to make their way down the halls.

katisdale.......we just bought a travelscoot for hubby and was wondering in what ports you have used your travelscoot. Did you find it did the job for you in those ports?

Thanks,

Carol

As the others have said you need an HC cabin so book it early.

As to questions about transporting WC or Scooter etc. The airlines will transport it even both at NO charge to you and it, and any other medical equipment does NOT count toward your luggage allowance.

HC cabins will cost you exactly the same price as any other cabin in that same category on a ship and you can watch for price reductions and get them if you qualify for the special just like anyone else can.

Also no scooters or WC in the halls. If you see them someone is breaking the law. Most ships now enforce this better since they can be reported and fined by the Coast Guard for having them there.

Thanks for the replies. I always thought scooters in the hallway were not a good idea and could be a safety hazard for other passengers not to mention a challenge for the crew to maneuver their things around (cleaning carts, etc). I didn't realize they were actually banned from there now, so I appreciate that info.

We will definitely consider different options and have a medical professional point us in the right direction if a scooter is purchased. Fortunately, he has gained a considerable amount of strength back since his stroke so that he shouldn't have difficulty controlling a scooter. It's more for speed and duration while on the trip.

I will have to review the options for getting a HA room and will call NCL to see what's available. I'm having some difficulty figuring out how we can have a larger room to accomodate the kids while still getting the HA room near us so we can also help out with my grandparents. (DH is the designated wheelchair pusher if we go with that option rather than a scooter.) If they do get a scooter, though, the extra space will be imperative to have space to put it in the room. And the bathroom accomodations, while not REQUIRED for my grandfather, would be much easier for him to maneuver in. So...to the phones I go!

Carmic,

We used the travelscoot on our cruise in Alaska with ports of Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. We also did a land excursion that included Anchorage, Denali and Copper River. I used the travelscoot in all those places as well as at the zoo in NC. We will take it with us to the western caribbean this fall and that may be more challenging as the ADA is not in effect there. I found it to be especially helpful on the ship as the distances there are quite daunting and what I want to do always seems to be on opposite ends of the ship. On shore I pick excursions with little walking so other than getting from our cabin to off the ship I think I could have managed OK without the scoot.

Thanks, Katisdale. We are doing a Holy Land cruise in October and I was hoping you had some experience using the Travelscoot overseas, but it does sound like you used it a lot in Alaska.

Have you ever used the Travelscoot in the rain? The booklet says you shouldn't use it in the rain.....we didn't realize that when we bought it, but I think it will serve us well.

Thanks again,

Carol

I will have to review the options for getting a HA room and will call NCL to see what's available. I'm having some difficulty figuring out how we can have a larger room to accomodate the kids while still getting the HA room near us so we can also help out with my grandparents. (DH is the designated wheelchair pusher if we go with that option rather than a scooter.) If they do get a scooter, though, the extra space will be imperative to have space to put it in the room. And the bathroom accomodations, while not REQUIRED for my grandfather, would be much easier for him to maneuver in. So...to the phones I go!

Not all decks will have HC cabins BUT all HC rooms (on the Star, at least) are mid-ship and are located close to the elevators.

Carmic,

You will love the Holy Land Cruise. We did that cruise back in 2007 on the Royal Princess. We went from Athens to Venice. We went into Athens early and stayed for two nights in Venice at the end. I did much better in Venice that I expected. Many of the bridges have a small area on one edge that is ramped between steps. Both St. Marks and the Doges Palace have access but it is hidden. As you face St. Marks go to the left side of the building and you will find the accessible entrance. At the Doges Palace go to the exit and someone will be called to take you to the top floor and you go against the flow. It was wonderful. I know all the cruises don't go to Venice but I was surprised. I can walk a little and was using a walker rather than a scooter then. If you have any questions about that cruise I would be happy to answer.

I was also concerned about using the travelscoot in rainy weather but have not had problems with it stopping or anything. I don't tend to go out in downpours however. If it is misty or just after a rain I haven't had any problem.

the main problem with most scooters and rain is the electronics and a bit underneath. You use a shower cap, those clear hotel kind to cover the electronics/controls and avoid puddles and go slow in any real serious rain so as to avoid a lot of splash under and you should be fine.

My grandfather has had a stroke and now has mobility issues. He can walk with a cane, but not for long distances. We are also concerned about his mobility when you factor in the rocking of a cruise ship. We are looking into a scooter for our upcoming trip on NCL Star. Currently we are in an AF suite and they have the BA cabin next door (not HA). I know on previous cruises I have seen scooters parked just outside of the door to cabins. Since there are 3 adults in this room, can we expect that he could park his scooter outside the room? I can't see any HA rooms on this deck of the ship, but maybe I'm missing one. How do cruisers on scooter get on/off the ship? Is there a service elevator they can use? We are flying on American; what do I need to know about getting a scooter on/off the plane with us? Is there a charge for transporting it?

Basically, I have no idea what arrangements we may or may not need to make since this is our first time traveling with a disabled person and a scooter. (I didn't even know there was a "Disabled Cruise Travel" section on this board until ARWENMARK pointed me to it from the NCL board!) Any tips you can share will be very appreciated.

As well as having a good PT evaluate your grandfather to recommend the right equipment, I would suggest you find a TA who specializes in Accessible Travel - there are many who have extensive experience, have been on the ships and evaluated them, and are familiar with the ports, so they can give you good advice and direction. They can also help you find whatever equipment/supplies you might need to make your cruise safe and enjoyable for your grandfather, and the rest of your party.

Thanks, katisdale and Arwenmark for the info on scooters in the rain.

katisdale........We have been to Athens and Venice, but without a scooter. We will disembark in Athens, but think we will go straight to the airport. I am mainly interested in the ports in Egypt, Israel and the Greek Islands. The travelscoot is so easy to just fold up that I don't think it will be a problem......I could be wrong....hope not.

Carol

We used Nile Blue Tours for our time in Egypt and they were excellent. I can transfer so did not need accessible transport. Nile Blue had a van and I sat beside the driver. They got me a handicapped room at our hotel Le Meridien Pyramids. I had to laugh about the room though, the toilet was no more than two inches off the floor and the shower, including the floor was entirely marble which is of course slippery when wet. The world does not define an accessible room quite as easily as in the US. We loved our time in Cairo and being in a van we got very close to everything. I elected not to go into the tombs or to see the boat. At the Egyptian Museum they "knew" someone so we were able to use the freight elevator. This is important as the King Tut exhibit is on the second floor. The museum is not air conditioned so expect to be very hot.

In Israel we used ships tours and I would not do that again. I chose the "easy" tour to Jerusalem. We still had to board a high step bus and then spent 2 hours at a tank museum. Our guide was poor and after spending so much time with the tanks we ended up getting to Jerusalem quite late and had to park almost a mile from the Garden of Gethsemane. Over half of us stayed on the bus since we knew we would not be able to walk that far. We did get dropped off right in front of the entrance to the wailing or Western wall. However the guide accompanied the men to that area of the wall before beginning his explanation so all the women were left out. If I was doing this again, I would get a private guide regardless of the cost.

I have a small, Pride Sonic scooter and took it with me on a 2 week cruise, Barcelona to Venice, on Oceania's Regatta. Though it can be broken into 4 pieces, we flew with it, and cruised with it, without taking it apart. (Airline was United/Air France). I kept the scooter in a regular sized cabin and, though it was tight, it was no problem. I went ashore with the scooter in France, Monoco, Italy and Croatia, but I didn't go on the tender with it. (I could have, but I didn't).

We're heading to Alaska in two weeks, on the Saphire Princess, and expect to do much the same, though this time we have a HC cabin.

Don't know about NCL but I just booked a cruise with Carnival and I actually got them to move guests out of a HC room to another room since they didn't NEED a HC room. With Carnival, I had to speak with someone in their Guest Access Services dept. Don't know what dept it is for NCL. They offered the other guests an upgrade to move them simply because I needed this cabin for my father who has similar mobility issues to what you're describing. You should try it...It may work. And that way they might have a few choice on who to ask to move so you can try to coordinate a regular cabin for yourself nearby. I got really lucky and got one right next to the HC cabin. Good luck!

Archived