To sail or not to sail...

My wife and daughter and myself cruised on the Majesty in March to Fla and

Bahamas. The ship was, in my opinion fine; only problems were long lines in

buffet areas and some parts of the ship looking worn. It was a comfortable ship, not overwhelming like the big ones. We are thinking about sailing her again in August for 5 days to Canada and New England out of Philly (our home town). I picked this cruise because of the low fares and wanting to sail out of Philadelphia. The itinerary is what concerns me-only 5 hours in St. John, New Brunswick (8 hrs in Boston, which is fine). Does anyone know if you can actually see or do anything in 5 (actually 4 1/2) hours in St. John? I sure would appreciate any pointers. Also, given that the Majesty is being sold soon, and I have read some negative reviews, is this a trip worth taking? Thank you

Nobody has been to St. John?

I haven't been to St. John, but I am going to Canada/NE this fall. I'll be on the Jewel out of NY on September 30. It goes to Boston, Halifax, Quebec City, PEI, and Sydney. I can't wait. :D

Majesty is an older ship, and I would rather be going on a newer one, besides going to Quebec City and PEI. Best Wishes.

DT

I think that would be enough time to take a taxi up to Reversing Falls and back. There's a cute little marketplace not too far from the ship as well. Or pick a ship excursion if you're concerned about time, that way the cruiseline has factored it in for you.

Thanks. Would love to go on a longer Canada/New England cruise, but time and cost are both factors this summer. Would appreciate any other ideas about

St. John, New Brunswick, Canada.

The cost I received for our 10-night was $649 for an I/C. For an OV, it was $849. That's not all that much more than your 5-night on the Majesty. I just checked again and can still get the same price for an I/C, but the OV went up $100.

For the money, if you can get the time off, it would be a no-brainer to go on the Jewel.

DT

Thanks. Would love to go on a longer Canada/New England cruise, but time and cost are both factors this summer. Would appreciate any other ideas about

St. John, New Brunswick, Canada.

The cost I received for our 10-night was $649 for an I/C. For an OV, it was $849. That's not all that much more than your 5-night on the Majesty. I just checked again and can still get the same price.

For the money, if you can get the time off, it would be a no-brainer to go on the Jewel.

DT

Hey.. If the price is that low, even if you don't enjoy the cruise you're not out much! lol

Just got off Majesty for the 3rd time a few weeks ago. I wouldn't worry about her letting herself go. Yeah, you got the "worn" part right, but I would bet my last buck that the service you receive will be as good as you remember..

Enjoy your cruise. :p

Cruisn,

4 hours isnt a lot of time as you know. Reversing Falls is a short cab ride away from the dock (maybe 10 minutes). You could walk but it's all up hill and would take a chunk out of the time you have to spend. You most likely won't be able to see the falls at both low and high tide, which is unfortunate. Do you like adventure type things? If so, and if you are at the falls during low tide, do not miss the jet boat ride. It's amazing but you will get wet..even with the rain gear they provide.

St. Martins and the sea caves is lovely, but it's quite a drive, so probably not doable in the time you have.

When we were in St. John, we arranged a private tour company and it was fabulous, but I woulnd't risk that with limited time. Honestly, I'd look at the ship excursions. They will offer what is available in the time frame and you might be surprised as to what is offered. As I said, I'd never attempt St. Martin on my own in a short period of time but who knows if the ship might have it scheduled. You could then do it with no worry of missing the ship.

I really think that the ship excursion is the best way to go with such limited time.

Enjoy St. John...its beautiful! I do hope that you get to see the difference in tides...it's truly amazing.

CG

I don't think you would like cruising the Majesty again, frankly.

Can you look into a land vacation or possibly flying? They are relatively inexpensive now.

If you didn't really care for the ship then, you aren't going to like it any better now.:confused:

Archived