Wennfreds non tipper list,now big news gone worldwide

steveaaaaa

Is that how all "tipping optional" cruise lines account for it? Even on those lines, only the cheapest of cheap would not tip extra.

I'm pretty darn sure port charges are no longer a line item that cruisers can see. I seem to recall there were too many frivolous lawsuits over them.

There is not a shred of evidence/proof that Carnival makes a dime off of employee tips.

There is not a shred of evidence/proof that Carnival does not make a dime off of employee tips.

But as a business it is not going to process thousands of dollars on credit cards for nothing.$208,180.00 for a seven day cruise on the Freedom if all passengers pay minimum auto tips.The amount is staggering when you do it for the whole ship.

I am not aware of any mass exodus from Carnival ships to others, which would happen if their wages were substantially below that of other cruise lines.

I see many of the same happy faces cruise after cruise.

This is the best indication that the current system works and not to mess with it.

Hmmm. Seems Royal does it differently...

Notification clearpixel.gif

Question:

When tipping is done via the folio (i.e., your onboard account), how and when is the person being tipped notified?

Carnival: Shipboard employees are notified of their tip amounts the day after the cruise ends (as to not impact service standards) and are paid about a week later.

Celebrity: Any guests who opt for tipping via the folio receive printed cards/vouchers acknowledging that their gratuities have been prepaid. Envelopes are provided with the vouchers so the guests can present them to tipped personnel to assure them suggested gratuities have been handled, and to allow guests to offer additional amounts if they wish.

Holland America: Shortly into the next cruise.

NCL: They're not, but this is partially based on the Freestyle Concept since virtually all guests do not dine with the same wait staff every night.

Royal Caribbean: No later than the last night of the cruise. There are lists prepared by the Pursers' Office stating the guests who have paid onboard gratuities on their folio. These lists are also available in the crew working areas. Also, vouchers for prepaid gratuities are given to each guest so that they can slip the voucher into the tipping envelopes to hand to the crew members on the last night of the cruise.

There is not a shred of evidence/proof that Carnival does not make a dime off of employee tips.

But as a business it is not going to process thousands of dollars on credit cards for nothing.$208,180.00 for a seven day cruise on the Freedom if all passengers pay minimum auto tips.The amount is staggering when you do it for the whole ship.

Until you provide proof, Carnival does not make a dime.

You might be surprised at how many passengers don't use credit cards and are cash customers.

As a business, it should be factored into the cost of goods, so you are probably paying that fee as part of your cruise, whether you pay by credit card or not.

so what we have learned from this post is:

1. Auto tipping does not solve stiffing the crew since you can remove then even after you have enjoyed the last night dinner in the dining room.

2.we have no real answer to how the cruise lines charge the crew for handling it.

3.if you do tipping by cash,you are a liar and are stiffing the crew.

4.boards like this are just reasons to be really ugly to each other.

People who want to stiff the crew,will do it ,whether auto tipping or by cash,so let's just all agree to treat the crew as best as we can to make up for those who "screw" the crew.

See you on a ocean somewhere soon!!!!!

ditto!

LOL! I had that steward once. He kept trying to lick my face! ;)

are you sure that wasn't the stewards service animal? I think he needed emotional support for when he was stiffed by passengers and so they let him bring a Rottie on board:eek::p;)

Honestly does it matter how the staff are paid the tips as long as they receive them. People prefer to do things different ways (no one is right, no one is wrong) people who wish to not express their gratification (which is what tips are) will always find a way around any system!

Bottom line is people prefer to still pay in cash (we are one) and some like the convenience of "auto tipping" no right no wrong!

Its sort of like ice cream, some like chocolate some like vanilla...........

Honestly does it matter how the staff are paid the tips as long as they receive them. People prefer to do things different ways (no one is right, no one is wrong) people who wish to not express their gratification (which is what tips are) will always find a way around any system!

Bottom line is people prefer to still pay in cash (we are one) and some like the convenience of "auto tipping" no right no wrong!

Its sort of like ice cream, some like chocolate some like vanilla...........

And in there lies the problem......

But the cruise line can include them in the fare and its fixed.End of story is it not in that case?

Steve

ahhh, but then they would not be gratuities, gratuities are a form of appreciation which can not be forced ;) (by including it in the price, it is now forced appreciation)

ahhh, but then they would not be gratuities, gratuities are a form of appreciation which can not be forced ;) (by including it in the price, it is now forced appreciation)

NCL calls it a service charge, and it is not as easily adjusted/removed as on Carnival. I very much wish Carnival would move to the "service charge" concept and only allow it to be reduced/removed if there is a situation involving unresolved complaints against the staff throughout the cruise.

I very much wish Carnival would move to the "service charge" concept and only allow it to be reduced/removed if there is a situation involving unresolved complaints against the staff throughout the cruise.

And how would that be different than today?

Service charges also get comfusing. I went to an AI last weekend, where they did a service charge in leiu of tips. I ended up in a fistacuffs with BIL's girlfriend as she said we should tip on top on that.

Service charges also get comfusing. I went to an AI last weekend, where they did a sevice charge in leiu of tips. I ended up in a fistacuffs with BIL's girlfriend as she said we should tip on top on that.

Well, now anyone can reduce or remove their tips without any hassle at all. On NCL I was in line at the information desk and someone wanted to remove their service charges - the employee flat out told them they could not, as it was the last day of the cruise and there had been no record of complaints from that passenger. I would rather see something like this on Carnival, where you have to have a documented problem before you can request the gratuities/service charge to be removed.

Service charges also get comfusing. I went to an AI last weekend, where they did a sevice charge in leiu of tips. I ended up in a fistacuffs with BIL's girlfriend as she said we should tip on top on that.

What's so confusing about that? If in fact they said in leiu of tips. Most AI's will say "gratuities included"...

I think Carnival should leave it as is........

What's so confusing about that? If in fact they said in leiu of tips. Most AI will say "gratuities included"...

My point exactly, but she never spoke to me again the whole weekend. I do think I saw a bit of a tail between her legs.

I have wanted All Inclusive all along, and I mean drinks included :)

This is one of those things that no one will ever all agree on, maybe we should pass a CC law no religion, no politics and no tipping conversations :D

My point exactly, but she never spoke to me again the whole weekend. I do think I saw a bit of a tail between her legs.

Well gee...THAT must have been fun and worth it:confused: Now I know why you are soo passionate on these boards.

Sometimes you have to let things go for the benefit of the family....as well as their cruise vacation.

Well gee...THAT must have been fun and worth it:confused: Now I know why you are soo passionate on these boards.

Sometimes you have to let things go for the benefit of the family....as well as their cruise vacation.

Nah. Unfortunately, she's only liked by my BIL.

All I was doing was asking how they did gratuities after she said I should pick up the tip for this meal, as she picked it up for the last.

I was like, HUH? (and she arranged the weekend!)

Turns out we were already being siphoned $150 in tips for a two night stay. And she wanted to tip ON TOP OF THAT!

Nah. Unfortunately, she's only liked by my BIL.

All I was doing was asking how they did gratuities after she said I should pick up the tip for this meal, as she picked it up for the last.

I was like, HUH? (and she arranged the weekend!)

Turns out we were already being siphoned $150 in tips for a two night stay. And she wanted to tip ON TOP OF THAT!

Oooo....THAT was not a very smart move on her part....apparently.

Archived