Inside cabin with exterior window on Splendor

pammygib

I called Carnival to book the Nov 29 sailing and was told to book 7205 or 7206 as these were "obstructed outside" cabins at the front overlooking a small front deck and were larger than normal. Now I see that technically these are 4G inside cabins with handicapped access (which means the "larger" space probably comes from the roll-in bathroom).

I don't mind not having the twins made into a king (am traveling with a friend), but am reluctant to take a handicapped cabin in case someone really needs it (though perhaps Carnival would bump me in that case - I hope so).

Anyone seen or been in one of these before? Cost was $60 more than cheapest inside but $30 less than cheapest outside (which I didn't know til I re-examined after I book because I didn't think to ask the specific category).

Am on Early Booking so can't downgrade. Will stay as is just wondering what I'm getting!

I looked at 7205 and 7206 on the conquest, be aware that the beds do NOT push together.

* Twin beds do not convert to a king-size bed

cut and paste from the carnival.com site for both those cabins (you mentioned pushing the beds together).

obstructed = a large wall about as high as the window is in front of the cabins, that you probably can only see sky, not ocean from. ... but at least you will get some daylight.

You can upgrade without paying extra .... you just cant downgrade. Which ship are you on?? Check the deck plans on carnival site, they should show which cabins the beds cannot push together.

I too would be concerned taking a HC cabin, just to get extra space. Just be aware the beds do not push together and the cabins are extremely obstructed (thats why they are sold as insides).

click on these deck plans, then click on Empress. You will see a large * which = beds do not push together.

http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=SL

PS Carnival will rarely move someone out of a HC cabin. For all they know you booked it because you needed it to be HC. I see now you are aware the beds dont push together. sorry.

Enjoy. At least you will get some daylight, even if not really a view.

I was looking at 7203 for my cruise in 2 weeks - there is a walkway outside your window - that's why it's "obstucted". There is someone getting on today in that room that has been active in the May 17 Spendor roll call. I'm sure you can get general location questions answered when they get back.

I was looking at 7203 for my cruise in 2 weeks - there is a walkway outside your window - that's why it's "obstucted". There is someone getting on today in that room that has been active in the May 17 Spendor roll call. I'm sure you can get general location questions answered when they get back.

True you can walk outside and in front of those cabins. I have done so myself multiple times. Thats why I said they are obstructed because of the high wall in front of them (not just because people can walk in front of them which is also true).

So after hours you would want to keep your curtains closed, as people can see into the cabins if they are out there. The window film works when the sun is out but not once the sun goes down. I was also in a similar cabin on Princess, hence why I know about the filters on the windows by having been inside and looking from the outside day and night.

Carnival doesn't know if you need HC or not, so you are not likely to be bumped. There are not many HC cabins on the ships, and disabled passengers often struggle to find an available appropriate cabin. So, personally I would not book an HC in advance unless it was the only cabin available. Just my opinion. Moot point though--Cat 5A now seems to be full on your sailing, so you can't just switch to another 5A cabin right now.

I haven't seen these cabins yet. They sound interesting. Way up front, so you may get more motion. Having the little-used deck outside is appealing for an interior price.

Carnival doesn't know if you need HC or not, so you are not likely to be bumped. There are not many HC cabins on the ships, and disabled passengers often struggle to find an available appropriate cabin. So, personally I would not book an HC in advance unless it was the only cabin available. Just my opinion. Moot point though--Cat 5A now seems to be full on your sailing, so you can't just switch to another 5A cabin right now.

I haven't seen these cabins yet. They sound interesting. Way up front, so you may get more motion. Having the little-used deck outside is appealing for an interior price.

5As used to be port holes not these cabins which used to be 6Bs and now were made 4Gs.

Maybe you cant find any 5As because they no longer exist on Carnival ships, they were done away with as a category.

First of all, I commend you for not wanting to take a handicap cabin. The Splendor has over 2,000 cabins, but only 28 of them are wheelchair accessible. If you take one of these cabins, it may mean that someone who needs one can not sail. I do not understand why they were offered to you so far befoe sailing unless the ship is sold out.

I have not been on the Splendor, but my husband was disabled so I have been in handicap cabins at the front of other Carnival ships and felt there were several disadvantages. As others have said, if you want privacy, you will need to keep you curtains closed. In addition, you need to keep them closed at night so that your light does not impact navigation. It can also be noisy because people going out to the deck outside your cabin often let the door bank.

In addition, there are disadvantages to being in a handicap cabin. On some lines handicap cabins are much bigger, but that is not true on Canival. Yes, they are a little bigger (so that a wheelchair can turn,) but most of the extra space is in the bathroom. Since there will be a roll-under sink, you lose will storage space. And the roll-in shower which can leak onto the bathroom floor.

Bottom line, I would not accept a handicap cabin unless it was very close to sailing, but I also would prefer not to be in the frnt of the ship if there is a public deck outside my cabin.

I wanted to book a cabin with an extra long balcony on the Pride. It was not listed as a handicapped cabin but when I was inquiring about the price I was told that it was a handicapped cabin and only available for a person with a disability who needs the additional space.

I am suprised it was even offered to you cuz they are usually blocked off and available for those with mobility issues/disability.

I wanted to book a cabin with an extra long balcony on the Pride. It was not listed as a handicapped cabin but when I was inquiring about the price I was told that it was a handicapped cabin and only available for a person with a disability who needs the additional space.

I am suprised it was even offered to you cuz they are usually blocked off and available for those with mobility issues/disability.

It does seem to vary, sometimes they let you book them and sometimes they hold them back for HC folks. We got one (much to our surprised) on Ecstasy. We dont usually book them on purpose either, but they arent marked on regular deck plans, so we didnt know until we boarded.

I have booked on the Splendor in room 9202 which is in the front of the ship. My PVP told me that I would be able to see the ocean, but I would have to keep the sheer curtains closed during the day and the other curtains at night (which I would do anyway). I had to ask for the HC room, she told me that they do not give them out unless someone specifically asks for them. I did notice on the website that if you pick an HC room there is a little red notice that pops up that says that this is a wheelchair accessible room and that you could be bumped to a different room. Please call Carnival and ask them to change you, because I have had to put off 3 cruises because they did not have any rooms available. When I sailed on the Pride last Oct, I thought I could do it in a non-handcapped room. was that a mistake on my part. I could not take a shower because I can't stand for a long period, so I had to sit on the toilet and take sponge baths. The steward that I had let me store my scotter in his storage room since they do not allow you to keep them outside of your room. But I think the thing that bothered me the most was that two doors down from me was a HC room and it was booked by 2 young people that wanted the larger room. Their attitude was like not my problem, you just did not book at the same time we did. I asked them if they speciically asked for a HC room and they said yes, I then asked them if they sent in the papers that Carnival sent them and they said "No, why bother neither of us are handicapped." I did go to the pursers desk and ask them about it, they did tell me that Carnival keeps a list of people that use the HC rooms and are not HC so if they book again, they do not get them.

Chacooe, I know what you mean. I dont think someone should book a HC cabin, just because its slightly bigger, but in this case I can see why the OP was tempted, the cabin also has daylight coming in.

My sister who travels with me, I dont yet ask for a HC cabin, but we get ever closer. She is on a cane and because of her balance issues, rolled out of bed the morning we boarded Conquest and landed on her arm and broke it. We spent a week with a broken arm we are still dealing with. Her other wrist was broken a year or so earlier and her fingers permantly curved, so she couldnt hang on in the shower so we did sponge baths too.

We have only had one HC cabin, but I know we are getting to the point eventually we will need one. We already need the bars in the shower, but dont want to take them and the shower seat away from someone even more handicapped. I too have read other posts here and HC folks ranted over taking a modified cabin away from a HC, this is a full HC cabin someone took on purpose who doesnt need it.

Thanks for your feedback. I am disappointed that Carnival steered me into these rooms without revealing they are handicapped access, but I'm betting the agent didn't know as she never mentioned it - and the info wasn't obvious when I looked at deck plans either..

I am going to call Carnival and ask what they can do since I already booked Early Bird and don't think I should have to pay more to get out of a HC room I shouldn't have been booked in. I am sensitive to the HC room issue because I have travelled with my parents who can only use these rooms now. Hearing that Carnival won't bump me if needed really concerns me.

The wheelchair accessible ones on the Conquest. I got this message after I clicked on the cabin number 6205 (I believe):

"1188 : You have confirmed a modified cabin. Please note that you may be moved to a category of equal value, so that we may accommodate our wheelchair guests. "

So maybe they DO move you if they need the cabin.

I was in room 6206 on the Triumph. The room itself is larger than a typical room and so is the bathroom. My cabin steward made up the bed as one large king, so it is possible to have the twins pushed together. I loved this location. It was like having a private huge deck right outside your door.

Archived