Hilo Hatties

Addictedtwo

The one in Lahaina, Maui was still open, business as usual on May 5th. as we stopped there while docked in Kahului and Honolulu ones on May 11th. as we're getting ready for our homebound trip. Our group did find many bargains in the HH's.

There's always that ABC Store that seemed to be everywhere & just around the hotel corner, not to mention the Kmarts, etc. on different islands.

We visited the flagship store twice in Honolulu just a few weeks ago and did our part to keep Hilo Hatties open. ;)

I like my souveniers to be made in the state/country I'm visiting, or to support a local business. So, I was very happy with the selection we found at Hilo Hatties. Our only "Made in China" purchase was our dashboard hula girl that we put in our rental cars so it wasn't so obvious that we were in a rental as we parked at various beaches.

We visited the flagship store twice in Honolulu just a few weeks ago and did our part to keep Hilo Hatties open. ;)

I like my souveniers to be made in the state/country I'm visiting, or to support a local business. So, I was very happy with the selection we found at Hilo Hatties. Our only "Made in China" purchase was our dashboard hula girl that we put in our rental cars so it wasn't so obvious that we were in a rental as we parked at various beaches.

Be careful with the dashboard "hula". We purchased one on our last trip and the sun/heat started melting the spring attachy thingy so our hula girl looked a lttle drunk. So check under the skirt to if they hot glued it.

The dashboard hula girl is a cute idea and I don't want to sound flip...but it will do little to deter a break in. Anyone who lives on the islands can spot a rental car a mile away. First of all....just about NO ONE in the islands drives an American made sedan, convertible or van....which is what most of the rentals are. Everyone drives a Japanese made car or van or an American made pick-up. Also, the rental cars are too shiny and new. This is especially true for the shiny Jeeps! And, the biggest indicator of a rental is the bar code sticker on a window or the back of the rearview mirror. I know that the rental companies have worked hard trying to reduce the obviousness of their cars. Years ago, every rental had a bumper sticker with the name of the rental agency. Talk about a red flag!!

Still, an ounce of prevention goes a long way. Do not leave valuables in the car or the trunk. Make it obvious that the doors are unlocked. Unfortunately, even our beautiful islands have creeps who have no respect for anyone or their belongings.

Have fun and just be aware!

Glad to hear Hilo Hatties is still going strong. It was just a wonderful store, and they make you feel good while shopping. Do they still have the free coffee tasting and are they still giving out the free beads???

At HH in Lahaina earlier this month, free shell beads were given out to everyone coming in. Free 2009-10 Hawaii calendar (choice among 4 style) for purchase of $25 or more. Plus, coupons for free gift for $25, $50 and $100 purchase, available in many local tour books or guides - NCL also "pitching" free gifts when the NCL Daily/Port & Shop Map Guide is presented in the store.

As for free coffee, we don't recall seeing it but our heads were buried among the sale bargains.

It's too bad that a lot of the stuff they sold wasn't made in Hawaii including the free shell lei's.

But then a lot of people that go to Hawaii are probably not aware that all the flowers used in leis do not come from Hawaii. I believe they come from Indonesia.

I live in Hilo and I shop at Hilo Hatties! Sometimes I just know they will have what I am looking for....for instance....a mouse pad with a tropical scene. Not available at Office Max or Walmart. A few weeks ago I just stopped in to look around and found the cutest flip-flops with sequins on them. They were only $3.99 and available in many colors. Since flip-flops is all I wear...these were a steal and a great addition to my wardrobe. I hope HH is around for a long time to come.

The dashboard hula girl is a cute idea and I don't want to sound flip...but it will do little to deter a break in. Anyone who lives on the islands can spot a rental car a mile away.

I do agree that no amount of flair would have "masked" our bright yellow rental car in Hilo: Volcano Natl Park

This one just screamed rental car. ;)

Archived