UK/Europe New Cancellation,Transfer Policy & Deposit Increase

Yes, this is the same TA. I have to say I was very happy with their service and with the price, until I got the email:D.......

So, as it stands now I have still paid approx £2000 less than RCI want if I went direct to RCI today, but £1000 more than if I went direct today with my TA.

I can't fathom out how that can be, as they are both selling the same cabin, on the same sailing, and according to the TA it is up to RCI what price is charged:confused:

Can anyone enlighten me??

I think this is because RCI have only a few cabins to sell so that automatically pushes the rates up on their system ..... but the TA has only a few cabins left in its allocation and they are pushing their rates down in an attempt to offload them before they revert back to RCI. Can any other TA's enlighten us as whether this is the case???

I think the lesson I have learned is not to book early, but to wait until the final payments are in and then await the price drops due to cancellation.

I would be interested to know if the price in the email would be honoured, £3700 for a 4 berth inside cabin, If anyone would like to check?

The Independence rates out of Southampton seem to be a law unto themselves - almost impossible to second guess as far as I can see. Look at it this way - at least your price is £2000 less than RCI are charging today ... so you got a very good deal but not quite as good as if you'd waited until now to book with your TA (and somehow for a family I don't think you would have risked waiting so late???)

Cheers

Ken

Yes, you are right. We were told by another TA last summer that there no 4 berth cabins on any sailing by any cruiseline out of Southampton for the whole school holiday period. Then we found this TA and we were very happy with the fact that they could provide the accomm we wanted at what was, and is still a good price.

Maybe the gold old credit crunch is responsible for the cancellations and availability, and as such this may never happen again. So, I suppose it is quite likely I could gamble and lose if I waited till this point next time.

Also, I am thinking that if they still have all grades of cabin available nearer to our sail date we may be able to upgrade free or for a reasonable price. So it may be a good thing.

I pointed out to the TA that it may be wiser not to include in a blanket email showing price drops those who have already booked that cruise. It was obviously not the first time she had heard this comment:confused: but it seems that those responsible for the emails do not take this onboard.

I would rather not have known, but overall am still satisfied with the price paid, and the knowledge that we have got a better deal than many, but not as good as the few who can take advantage of the late offers.

Thanks for all your help, it has been very useful for me on this learning curve!!

Yes, you are right. We were told by another TA last summer that there no 4 berth cabins on any sailing by any cruiseline out of Southampton for the whole school holiday period. Then we found this TA and we were very happy with the fact that they could provide the accomm we wanted at what was, and is still a good price.

Exactly ... and remember, there will always be someone on board who got their cabin for less than you!!!

Also, I am thinking that if they still have all grades of cabin available nearer to our sail date we may be able to upgrade free or for a reasonable price. So it may be a good thing.

Well worth keeping an eye on the RCI site - but 1st August is probably going to sell out.

Thanks for all your help, it has been very useful for me on this learning curve!!

That's what's so great about CC - if you need info then there's always someone here who has the answer or knows where to look!!!

Hope you all have one hell of a great cruise!!!

Regards

Ken

Thanks to whoever posted this on the Celebrity site...I spent a long time reading through the 19 pages of info posted on this topic and also feel we are being greatly hard done by due to these new restrictions ..... so if anyone is doing a petition please post it on the Celebrity site as well to garner any support that might also be there.

I am appalled that RCI think we will be happy to accept this as the new T's and C's for UK bookers and allow the old arrangements to continue for North American cruisers without similar changes to make it a fair playing field ... perhaps it is time to jump cruislines , even although we ourselves have invested a lot into money into Celebrity over the years and enjoyed their service.

It seems so surprising to me since nearly all Celebrity ships ( in particular) are sailing in European waters for a large part of the year, if European cruisers chose to with-hold bookings from RCI and go with alternative cruiselines they would have shot themselves in the foot.

However I don't think European cruisers are as knowledgeable as they could be about T's and C's so are probably unaware of the differences between N. American rules versus our own over here. We all recognise anomalies because of reading CC. I know all I have ever learned about this myself, came from reading CC and I commend these forums for this service.

Yvonne

Thanks to whoever posted this on the Celebrity site

Hi Yvonne

Sorry I didnt post the news of the changes/charges on Celebrity & Azamara forums. Posting the changes here made me a tad unpopular with someone (not connected to CC) and I didnt want to be on the receiving end again at that time.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum which you might like to check out...it is also on the Celebrity forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19970766#post19970766

Thanks to whoever posted this on the Celebrity site...I spent a long time reading through the 19 pages of info posted on this topic and also feel we are being greatly hard done by due to these new restrictions ..... so if anyone is doing a petition please post it on the Celebrity site as well to garner any support that might also be there.

I am appalled that RCI think we will be happy to accept this as the new T's and C's for UK bookers and allow the old arrangements to continue for North American cruisers without similar changes to make it a fair playing field ... perhaps it is time to jump cruislines , even although we ourselves have invested a lot into money into Celebrity over the years and enjoyed their service.

It seems so surprising to me since nearly all Celebrity ships ( in particular) are sailing in European waters for a large part of the year, if European cruisers chose to with-hold bookings from RCI and go with alternative cruiselines they would have shot themselves in the foot.

However I don't think European cruisers are as knowledgeable as they could be about T's and C's so are probably unaware of the differences between N. American rules versus our own over here. We all recognise anomalies because of reading CC. I know all I have ever learned about this myself, came from reading CC and I commend these forums for this service.

Yvonne

I did post a link - didn't put it on Azamara though.

Liz - did you know that people in suites are charged £75 per person per change 'cos they know you are all multimillionaires!!! ROTFL:D (To those with humour malfunctions, this is a joke!!).

So glad you decided to treat yourself. Let me know what it's like to be an important suitee.

Liz - did you know that people in suites are charged £75 per person per change 'cos they know you are all multimillionaires!!! ROTFL:D (To those with humour malfunctions, this is a joke!!)

I booked my suite cruise with my US TA...so no charges if I make any changes :p:D

I booked my suite cruise with my US TA...so no charges if I make any changes :p:D

Without being too nosey :o might one enquire as to how the US price for your cruise compares with the UK price??? :D

Didn't dawn on me about the changes being rolled out onto Celebrity and Azamara - 10 days ago I took a price drop (£200 each) and changed cabins (upgrading but cheaper) on our Azamara Far East cruise next January ... no one said anything about fees. Now, by my reckoning that should have cost me 2 x £35 :eek:

Cheers

Ken

Hi Yvonne

Sorry I didnt post the news of the changes/charges on Celebrity & Azamara forums. Posting the changes here made me a tad unpopular with someone (not connected to CC) and I didnt want to be on the receiving end again at that time.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum which you might like to check out...it is also on the Celebrity forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19970766#post19970766

Aww Liz did you get in trouble with RCI lol

jj......

Without being too nosey :o might one enquire as to how the US price for your cruise compares with the UK price??? :D

Didn't dawn on me about the changes being rolled out onto Celebrity and Azamara - 10 days ago I took a price drop (£200 each) and changed cabins (upgrading but cheaper) on our Azamara Far East cruise next January ... no one said anything about fees. Now, by my reckoning that should have cost me 2 x £35 :eek:

Cheers

Ken

I think the first change is free, if I am reading it all correctly!! So your next price drop may well incur the charge.

Aww Liz did you get in trouble with RCI lol

jj......

Well, I should think they got into trouble with her!! She is the customer - I am wondering whether RCI has yet received this message loud and clear!!??

But as they say, "WHY NOT" fleece the UK cruisers?:D:D And she is therefore, entitled to ask WHY NOT book in the U.S.?? And WHY NOT post it all on here?

I am beginning to enjoy the Nation of Why Not - talk about being hoist by your own petard!! ROTFL!!!

Amy

I think the first change is free, if I am reading it all correctly!! So your next price drop may well incur the charge.

One was a price drop and one was a cabin change ... that would have made two alterations therefore a charge !!!

Ken

Well, I should think they got into trouble with her!! She is the customer - I am wondering whether RCI has yet received this message loud and clear!!??

But as they say, "WHY NOT" fleece the UK cruisers?:D:D And she is therefore, entitled to ask WHY NOT book in the U.S.?? And WHY NOT post it all on here?

I am beginning to enjoy the Nation of Why Not - talk about being hoist by your own petard!! ROTFL!!!

Amy

LOL LOL

jj...

One was a price drop and one was a cabin change ... that would have made two alterations therefore a charge !!!

Ken

Goodness me. All in the same 'phone call (unless I am reading this all wrong) it would be a change in the reservation - bit strong to charge for

two changes when it was all done at the same time on the same

reservation. Be interesting to see if all the RCI reps charge the same way. I wonder if you go through to Crown & Anchor whether they will be so rigid.

Only time will tell!!

Certainly does give us all something to discuss.:D:D

Cheers

Ken

Hi Ken

Price in dollars $4873, price in pounds £3274 so about the same I think :confused: :o

But no worries about extra admin fees if I want to make any changes or get price drops etc :D

Hi Ken

Price in dollars $4873, price in pounds £3274 so about the same I think :confused: :o

But no worries about extra admin fees if I want to make any changes or get price drops etc :D

Well Liz (may I call you that?) ... at the current exchange rate of around $1.64 to £1.00 then your US price is about £300 cheaper than the UK price - so well done you. I have noticed that a lot of dollar prices compare badly against the pound, but with the pound gaining against the dollar then this may be changing - unless RCI start reducing the £ prices of course!!!

Cheers

Ken

Well Liz (may I call you that?) ... at the current exchange rate of around $1.64 to £1.00 then your US price is about £300 cheaper than the UK price - so well done you. I have noticed that a lot of dollar prices compare badly against the pound, but with the pound gaining against the dollar then this may be changing - unless RCI start reducing the £ prices of course!!!

Cheers

Ken

Hi Ken (of course you can call me Liz) :D

Oh that is nice to know I did good with price,thanks :D

At the time of booking I didnt even look at UK price to be honest, I actually had to look at the UK site just now to get the price here.

I booked in US as my way of telling RCCL UK I dont like your new policy change/charges and therefore wont be booking anymore cruises here.

I realise that not everyone feels comfortable booking outside their own country...but for me, I am happy booking in US :D

Before these new rules/charges I split my bookings between UK & US..but no longer.

The only reason I have kept my NV cruise with UK is because of the flights as booked cruise air due to it being a transatlantic.

jj - My forthcoming "Equinox non-Maiden-but-is" is the first one I have booked in the UK.

Probably won't do that again!! But the entire amount was coming due anyway as I booked fairly late, so I thought it wouldn't matter. I am having second thoughts on that one, though!!

And that's without the added 'benefit':D:D of the extra charges for changes.

I would always book in the US as I have to book a long way ahead usually, to get a particular cabin for Mum. We do occasionally have to change the cruise as its so far ahead and in the US there is no problem with that!! I can change without penalty or cancel and get a refund of the deposit.

Makes no sense to book in the UK.

Thanks to "hello sailor" for putting the same sticky on the Celebrity web site..I've made my comments there .

Hope it might achieve something with management if they actually read the comments regular (and valued???? ) cruisers are making...after all they are supposed to react to what the customer wants .

I'm not putting a lot of faith into the hope they might change their minds about our new UK T' s and C's though.

Parity does not seem to be a word RCI understands.

See you soon Liz!

Hi JJ

I only paid deposit :D which I would get back if I needed to cancel.

Well Liz if the Dollar rate falls close to $1.49 you could end up paying more - but at the minute your on a winner lol

I agree Sailer it makes no sense to book in the UK !!

jj......

Archived