UK/Europe New Cancellation,Transfer Policy & Deposit Increase

we had to make amendments to our booking on Monday morning and I was informed of the new charges, I explained that as it had been booked last August surely it was on the old terms and conditions, apparently not! They agreed to reduce the fee for changing to £35 pp. Not impressed at all.

Hi Liz

What changes did you have to make? I thought the first change if classed as 'minor' was free. What did they intend to charge you?

I've noticed as was predicted that there are price drops on our sailing in Sept now it's post 1st June. You can pick up a JS for less than the going rate for a D1!

OK, the change was incredibly 'significant' hence them wanting to use their new clause, the last one which says if its significant they will cancel and treat as a new booking, thus losing deposits, for a family of 4 = £400.

Sadly we had to really rethink our plans for next year, we had a booking in a crown loft suite on Oasis, it was coming in at just under £10,000 for the 4 of us, including flights, we looked into it every which way, us booking flights, changing rooms to something less extravagent etc etc and cannot justify it, not for 7 nights! Have decided to do a quick 5 nighter on Adventure for £3000 and have a fortnight in the canaries or something and still have change, it was silly money. We can have 19 nights away all in 5 star accom and have a decent amount of spending money.

Tehy wanted us to cancel completely and start again, us losing the £400, but they weren't losing our business entirely, although I appreciate their revenue will have gone right down on this trip, we have been very loyal and spent shed loads of money with Royal Caribbean, so they finally agreed to the £140 to change.

Of course, if we lived, or indeed booked int he states we could do all these changes for free, even cancel completely and get a refund.

Hi Liz

What changes did you have to make? I thought the first change if classed as 'minor' was free. What did they intend to charge you?

I've noticed as was predicted that there are price drops on our sailing in Sept now it's post 1st June. You can pick up a JS for less than the going rate for a D1!

well, taling about picking up a JS for less than a d1, thats another story - 2 weeks before we went on our 4 nighter to cork, booked in a d1, the JS's came up for £200 less than we had paid for our D!, so of course we phoned to try to get one - new bookings only! so we tried to pay an extra £100 and get a GS - new bookings only.

I think I will try and find the old terms and conditions and see if ther is a catch all in there, if there is not then they cannot apply these T&C's to existing booking. Only thing is I don't think I have to hand hand, if anyone else does then it may be worth looking up.

As I have said before, I love the RCL ships etc, but forarmed is forwarned in case of the need for changes, and I am certianly hoping for some prioce drops on Allure.

well, we are hoping that once Allure and Oasis are both bobbing around the caribbean there should be some good deals, of course we won't be one of the first few to sail on them now, but we can wait.

Awww you're so kind to me lol friends on ships i told you i only work on a small boat lol

So the next time i'm in London are you buying me a krispy creme or what lol

Glad they rang you !!They had no choice - orders from Miami!! However, very nice gentleman, who actually understood my point and agreed. We shall just have to see what Miami decides.

The whole thing is ridiculous anyway - even this site has mentioned the 31st as the Inaugural and its being advertised all over the internet as such. I wouldn't have thought anymore about it, except for my Voyager 'experience'. I had forgotten that us Brits can make our point known very vocally!!

I have suggested its called the Maiden Voyage (which it is!). The welcome party could become The Maiden Voyage Party at no cost!! A 50c (max) medallion would go along way also!! A few streamers and a bit of excitement generated by Neil should do the trick!! And if RCI wanted to push the boat out:D a free glass of champers-not and a toast on the first night, should do the trick.

And why not? After all, its a Nation of Why Nots!!! ROTFL!! Hoist with their own petard!!!

jj.....

Yus, a Krispy Creme AND a ride on a rowing boat on the Serpentine!!! That will solve your longing to be on a small boat again!! However, I could be persuaded to go for a pedalo!! ROTFL And then I would have friends on big boats:eek: and little boats!!

OK guys - what is the difference between a boat and a ship?

I also would have thought that reservations made before the 1st June 09 would be free of the surcharge. After all, this is not the contract entered into when booking.

Hi,

I have noticed the booking deposit for UK customers is now £150 (from the previous £100) per person, which is non refundable from the moment you pay it. Added to this it's also non transferrable to another booking, or brand (Celebrity). Given that many of us have to book our cruises 18 months ahead in order to plan holiday from work, it seems a little unfair that in the USA deposits are refundable, right up to final payment date. Is this another example of 'rip off Britain'?

Any thoughts?

Yus, a Krispy Creme AND a ride on a rowing boat on the Serpentine!!! That will solve your longing to be on a small boat again!! However, I could be persuaded to go for a pedalo!! ROTFL And then I would have friends on big boats:eek: and little boats!!

OK guys - what is the difference between a boat and a ship?

I also would have thought that reservations made before the 1st June 09 would be free of the surcharge. After all, this is not the contract entered into when booking.

So was that a maybe for coffee sometime lol

Difference between a boat and ship is easy - a ship can carry a boat but a boat can't carry a ship !!

jj.....

As a British TA I will give you RCIs perspective without making comments as to whether I agree or disagree about their policy, although I will comment about the nature of the thread.

The problem has been over the last year that there has been a proliferation of cancellations, and cruise amendments mainly due to finances.

The reason that people have amended is because they a) did not want to lose their deposit and b) this would at least give them a chance to get together the financs by the time the cruise came around.

RCI have taken the view that such changes are expensive, and time consuming, and also that people are making "facetious" bookings on the basis that the £100 is a sum of money that is easily "losable" whereasa people might think twice at £150pp.

Once thing that I will say, is that it is not reasonable to level these accusations at RCI. They have simply fallen in line with the other main players. Cunard, Princess, P & O, Carnival, Holland America, Costa etc. All of which ere taking a deposit of 10% of pre-discounted price for many years and their deposit was far greater in most cases than the £100 that the RCI group were taking.

Furthermore, I may be wrong, but I think it is actually more expensive for a UK passenger to go through the American market than go through a British TA.

To give you an example

Mariner of the Seas 10th October. With discount would run at about £350 - £360pp for an inside cabin including gratuities

An American travel agent would be charging $609 approximately, which at an 1.575 exchange rate would equal about £386.

So much for "Rip of Britain".

A nice sound bite, but fundamentally inaccurate

Thanks for the explanation. I think what RCCI are doing is making booking with them less inviting now. For example. I have a November Independence of the seas booking which unfortunately, due to finanaces, I can't now go on. I was going to transfer it to a summer 2010 cruise with them. Now with the new less flexible booking conditions I have been encouraged to look at other cruise lines, and will be booking a cruise with P&O. So rather than keep my custom, RCCI have lost it to Carnival group.

We are all encouraged with discounts to book early, sometimes up to 18 months before sailing. Unfortunately things change in life that can force you to change/amend a booking. Royal Caribbean used to have the flexibility in their booking conditions to do this, and thus keep your custom. Sadly it is no more. :(

Mariner of the Seas 10th October. With discount would run at about £350 - £360pp for an inside cabin including gratuities

An American travel agent would be charging $609 approximately, which at an 1.575 exchange rate would equal about £386.

I don't think that 'Rip off Britain' is referring to the difference in the basic price of cruises, its the new booking conditions (£35 pp for a second or subsequent price drop or cabin change) and the non refundable deposit that people are annoyed about. Non of these things apply to US bookings.

Julie

I think what RCCI are doing is making booking with them less inviting now. For example. I have a November Independence of the seas booking which unfortunately, due to finanaces, I can't now go on. I was going to transfer it to a summer 2010 cruise with them. Now with the new less flexible booking conditions I have been encouraged to look at other cruise lines, and will be booking a cruise with P&O. So rather than keep my custom, RCCI have lost it to Carnival group.

We are all encouraged with discounts to book early, sometimes up to 18 months before sailing. Unfortunately things change in life that can force you to change/amend a booking. Royal Caribbean used to have the flexibility in their booking conditions to do this, and thus keep your custom. Sadly it is no more. :(

Well RCI are an American company and you can bet that decisions of this nature have been, at the very least, run through head office in Miami.

I am reminded of the phrase "No pain, no gain".

In a nutshell.

The OP is happy to pay the cheaper prices that the UK has to offer, but he doesn't want to adhere to the rules that that entails ie he wants the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately, in my existance that very rarely is the case.

If he wants all the facilities that the American market receives, then let him book with them, and he will pay more for the privilage

Why would you want to book in advance Gary ?

You can't view all cabins online - the £200pp discounts only apply to the IOS - you can't book in advance via a U.S TA and not lose your deposit if you cancel - Charges for making chances to your booking !!

We won't be booking in advance and i explained that on the phone yesterday to Senior Management !!

jj.......

Gary i think UK TA's will be taking the pain - do you think its fair for you as a TA ?

I'm glad i'm not booking with you with like or lump attitude. Another saying is you reap what you sow.

jj......

The problem has been over the last year that there has been a proliferation of cancellations, and cruise amendments mainly due to finances.

The reason that people have amended is because they a) did not want to lose their deposit and b) this would at least give them a chance to get together the financs by the time the cruise came around.

RCI have taken the view that such changes are expensive, and time consuming, and also that people are making "facetious" bookings on the basis that the £100 is a sum of money that is easily "losable" whereasa people might think twice at £150pp.

Thankyou for your thoughts on RCI UK's reasoning behind all this. But I'm not so sure that I agree with you.

Surely the cancellations and amendments that have been happening in the UK would also be happening in the US ... and I don't see RCI US charging admin fees.

As far as the allterations being 'time consuming', yes I agree they probably are. But I would like to think that a few 'clicks' on someone's computer is simple enough even for the most basically trained operator ... what ever happened to Customer Service! As someone who's spent hours on hold waiting to get through to RCI, I think a few more staff and some training to speed things up would solve that problem ... simples :p

I don't think the bigger deposits are what many people have an issue with nor are the non refundable deposits... deposits have always been non refundable in the UK. I think most people just want a level playing field with US cruisers re admin fees.

I think the crux of the matter is the way in which people from the UK are treated compared with people from the US. £150 isn't unreasonable as a deposit (when compared with other companies) and £35 isn't unreasonable for changing a booking (again compared with other companies).

Where it does become unreasonable is when people from the UK pay a higher non-refundable deposit than people from the US who can hold any number of cabins in the knowledge they don't lose a cent if they change their mind. Once they do change their mind and cancel, freeing up more desirable cabins, people from the UK have to pay £35 to get the cabin they may have wanted in the first place.

It's the lack of a level playing field which is making people angry and wanting to book with a US travel agent to get the same privileges as US travellers.

Incidentally, I enquired about one of our cruises with a US agent many people rave about and they couldn't come close to the price we get from our UK agent, so I think Garyorient does have a point.

When I read this and I realised now that it is non refundable as I booked for 2011 for my special birthday... I wonder if my work should be okay or not...

what if both work not agreed... I would lose 400 pounds or pay more for change dates...35 pounds each :mad:

I am sorry I think it is terrible... as I had been cruising with Disney by Dreams Unlimited... they were fabulous and can change over without any charge... or cancel it get full refund.... (i have not done that my friend did it)

Now this make me worry what if happen in future?

Scottishwee35

Furthermore, I may be wrong, but I think it is actually more expensive for a UK passenger to go through the American market than go through a British TA.

To give you an example

Yes, it may we be more expensive ... initially. But prices DO go down and at the moment RCI is coming in with some very high prices for 2010 which without doubt will go down. There are 5 of us and £175 to take advantage of a price drop is far too much to pay. I haven't booked yet but I'm going to give it a try for my next cruise and I will take my chances. If it doesn't work out then yes, I'll hold my hands up but somehow I don't think so.

Booking with a UK TA is a non runner for me, I would only ever book direct with RCI here in the UK.

So was that a maybe for coffee sometime lol

Difference between a boat and ship is easy - a ship can carry a boat but a boat can't carry a ship !!

jj.....

Wrong - a boat is what you get into when the ship sinks -:D:D:D Hee hee

Not a maybe, a definite yes!!! Would be fun - we can have a punch-up over the CL thingy? :)

Yes, it may we be more expensive ... initially. But prices DO go down and at the moment RCI is coming in with some very high prices for 2010 which without doubt will go down. There are 5 of us and £175 to take advantage of a price drop is far too much to pay. I haven't booked yet but I'm going to give it a try for my next cruise and I will take my chances. If it doesn't work out then yes, I'll hold my hands up but somehow I don't think so.

Booking with a UK TA is a non runner for me, I would only ever book direct with RCI here in the UK.

That's fine, then you seriously must have money to burn.

Whatever RCI will charge you, in essence they will not discount. They may incentivise you with OBC or similar, but I will absolutely guarantee you in terms of capital cost outlay, if you have a travel agent who you are loyal to and book frequently with there is absolutely no possibility tthat RCI direct will be cheaper, and any incentive will not mitigate for that.

This is why some 20% of our business is with clients who have booked directly with RCI, phoned us for a price and then moved their bookings from RCI direct to the TA, but clearly you know best.

Archived