UK/Europe New Cancellation,Transfer Policy & Deposit Increase

If they are to charge for changing cabins after the 1st June, what RCCL have to do then for people who book online through the UK website is to show EVERY CABIN that is available not just 5 or 6 in each catogory as they do now as the ones they show are not always the best available in each catogary.

John.

That sounds like a really good idea. However, theoretically the RC site shows the 'best' cabins. In practice many of the best cabins have been 'reserved' by a refundable deposit by those booking in the US. Once those US travellers decide they don't want to take the cruise (and get the whole of their deposit back), those better cabins become available, by which time we would have to pay £35 to move within the same category.

Which brings us back to one of the main criticisms we UK customers have, why do we lose our deposit if we cancel when US customers can hold a cabin for a long long time and then get the deposit back if they change their mind about the cruise (or the cabin location).

It's only ever going to be fair when they make it a level playing field - and let's face it that's never going to happen :mad:

Ok everyone here are the answers to questions I asked RCCL UK.

1. Do the new rules mean that if having booked online (when not all

available cabins seem to show up) and then later I see a better cabin

available, I can't change my cabin without the booking be classed as

cancelled?

If your cruise fare increases, which you would normally expect from an

upgrade, then there is no admin fee imposed.

2. If I wanted to change the booking for another sailing, the original

booking would be classed as cancelled?

If you change ship, sail date or brand, outside of the 56 days prior to

sailing, it will be considered a transfer and the appropriate transfer fee

will be charged and air charges may also apply. Within 56 days it is

considered a cancellation and rebook.

3. If I wanted to add a post cruise stay, the original booking would be

cancelled?

No, you are adding a component to the original booking, not making an

amendment.

4. In other words, any changes would cause the original booking to be

cancelled and thus lose my deposit and have to start all over again?

No, this statement is incorrect. There are various parameters to consider

in most cases.

5. When will the new booking conditions be implemented?

The enforcement of our policy will commence from 1st June 2009

6. Are reservations booked under the old Booking Conditions affected in the

same way?

Yes, as mostly we are now enforcing booking conditions that already

existed. We will obviously be reviewing any queries that are outside the

norm, on a case by case basis.

7. Will we still be able to apply C&A coupons or will that be classed as a

price drop?

This is a benefit of being a loyalty member, so is applicable as it is not

seen as a price reduction because of making an amendment.

8. If later someone qualifies for C&A Balcony Discount will this be classed

as a price drop?

No, it would not be seen as a price drop, rather a discount eligible to our

loyalty members, so can be applied in accordance with the terms and

conditions of the balcony discount offer.

What happened - come on spill the beans lol

jj....

Hey JJ - you know better than that!! I am probably on the edge of being banned by RCCL - if I tell you, it may be the proverbial straw!!:D

Let's just say that a member of staff gave me totally incorrect information (for a change? hehehe) about my v.v. elderly mother's entitlement to a handicapped cabin - and I was so incandescent that I cancelled the cruise!! However, I e-mailed a contact in Miami and the TA e-mailed a contact in London and.......lo and behold - change of attitude and info!!!

So, now all sweetness and light with Celebrity:p!! Useless, useless, useless!!:D Shh........Don't tell anyone I said so!!

LOL want to know even more now !!

So you cancelled with RCI and booked with Celebrity am i right ? ( whats the cruise ? )

jj......

Well, cancelling our Baltic on the Jewel, because it leaves from Harwich the day after we arrive back in Southampton from the Equinox. Would be far too difficult for Mum. However, it won't be a cancellation - I will just be moving the reservation to a later date.

The Equinox - we will now be on the maiden voyage. This is because the ship is ready earlier than anticipated and the maiden voyage will now be from Southampton to the Norwegian Fjords. Only 8 days - but a brand new ship - we thought it would be a change from the same old!!!!

Will be interesting as we will be paying guinea-pigs!! They are not selling the insides or oceanviews - either they will not be used, or are being reserved for 'special' people.

If they are to charge for changing cabins after the 1st June, what RCCL have to do then for people who book online through the UK website is to show EVERY CABIN that is available not just 5 or 6 in each catogory as they do now as the ones they show are not always the best available in each catogary.

John.

John - I totally agree. It's so surprising to me that if you book via a major UK TA they can find cabins available that are not shown on the RCI site when you pick a specific category and they are cheaper, so there's no incentive to book direct and collect the 5% online discount offered by RCI.

Ok everyone here are the answers to questions I asked RCCL UK.

cancelled?

2. If I wanted to change the booking for another sailing, the original

booking would be classed as cancelled?

If you change ship, sail date or brand, outside of the 56 days prior to

sailing, it will be considered a transfer and the appropriate transfer fee

will be charged and air charges may also apply. Within 56 days it is

considered a cancellation and rebook.

3. If I wanted to add a post cruise stay, the original booking would be

cancelled?

No, you are adding a component to the original booking, not making an

amendment.

4. In other words, any changes would cause the original booking to be

cancelled and thus lose my deposit and have to start all over again?

No, this statement is incorrect. There are various parameters to consider

in most cases.

5. When will the new booking conditions be implemented?

The enforcement of our policy will commence from 1st June 2009

6. Are reservations booked under the old Booking Conditions affected in the

same way?

Yes, as mostly we are now enforcing booking conditions that already

existed. We will obviously be reviewing any queries that are outside the

norm, on a case by case basis.

7. Will we still be able to apply C&A coupons or will that be classed as a

price drop?

This is a benefit of being a loyalty member, so is applicable as it is not

seen as a price reduction because of making an amendment.

8. If later someone qualifies for C&A Balcony Discount will this be classed

as a price drop?

No, it would not be seen as a price drop, rather a discount eligible to our

loyalty members, so can be applied in accordance with the terms and

conditions of the balcony discount offer.

Hi Liz

Many thanks again for following this through. Helps clarify the situation.

That sounds like a really good idea. However, theoretically the RC site shows the 'best' cabins. In practice many of the best cabins have been 'reserved' by a refundable deposit by those booking in the US. Once those US travellers decide they don't want to take the cruise (and get the whole of their deposit back), those better cabins become available, by which time we would have to pay £35 to move within the same category.

Which brings us back to one of the main criticisms we UK customers have, why do we lose our deposit if we cancel when US customers can hold a cabin for a long long time and then get the deposit back if they change their mind about the cruise (or the cabin location).

It's only ever going to be fair when they make it a level playing field - and let's face it that's never going to happen :mad:

I don't think the RCL website ever shows the best cabins.

A couple of weeks ago my parents wanted to book a Navigator cruise for next summer. There were only 2 D1s offered on the website and several E1s one of which was an aft on deck 7. I phoned up to ask if there were any other afts available and most of the D1s on deck 10 were open. They ended up booking 1390 over the phone and got $200 obc which made up for the 5% discount.

I wish the RCL website had the facility to check for a specific cabin like the Celebrity one does.

Julie

Sorry guys.

Can I just check. Does that mean RCI wont be honouring any price drops (for the same cabin category) now without occuring a fee??? Please tell me thats not the case.......

Sorry TrolleyDolley - that is how it is.

So get your room swaps and your price drops in before Monday:(

cancelled?

The question here wasn't answered - you are swapping within the same category, as you say you cannot see all the rooms on the website. So this will stop people using the website to book.

Sorry guys.

Can I just check. Does that mean RCI wont be honouring any price drops (for the same cabin category) now without occuring a fee??? Please tell me thats not the case.......

Sorry TrolleyDolley - that is how it is.

So get your room swaps and your price drops in before Monday:(

Well that's just great! I've booked a very overpriced cruise for October 2010. There is no way my cruise is going to stay at the price I paid!

I booked before this announcement, are they allowed to change the T&C's once someone has booked?

Well that's just great! I've booked a very overpriced cruise for October 2010. There is no way my cruise is going to stay at the price I paid!

I booked before this announcement, are they allowed to change the T&C's once someone has booked?

Livy.. I also booked what I consider to be a very overpriced cruise for August 2010. We can have one change to the booking for "free" so if you don't change anything else then the first price drop will be fee-free, after that if there are any other drops we will just have to pay the £35 pp if it's significant enough to make it worth while. I'm not happy either but at one point it looked like there would be no more price drops at all so I'm feeling slightly relieved and very annoyed at the same time!!:(

Livy.. I also booked what I consider to be a very overpriced cruise for August 2010. We can have one change to the booking for "free" so if you don't change anything else then the first price drop will be fee-free, after that if there are any other drops we will just have to pay the £35 pp if it's significant enough to make it worth while. I'm not happy either but at one point it looked like there would be no more price drops at all so I'm feeling slightly relieved and very annoyed at the same time!!:(

See this is what makes me soooo mad.:mad: Why the heck should we here have to pay an admin fee of £35 for a price drop when our friends across the pond dont have to pay it.

Example of "what if", have ressie on Allure..really expensive..want to move cabin to be near family now booked...ok free change...oh wait after that a price drop..oh no thats going to cost me £35 per person in the cabin for that...oh no...cruise not selling..more price drop...another £35 per person....mmm...nah no flipping way. Friends booked in USA...same things happen to them...charges NONE.

And here we all are in the Nation of Why Not.:eek: Yea right :rolleyes:

Trouble is we in the UK are in the minority of posters on CC so we can complain on here till we are blue in the face but I doubt anyone at RCI will take any notice :( If RCI were to impose these T&C's on US cruisers then I think it would be a different story. I will email RCI and express my dissapointment but I don't think it will get us anywhere :mad: I just don't think we have enough 'pull'.

My only consolation is that I have booked the cruise I want and the cabins I want so the only change I would ever want to make to my booking is a price drop. I guess I will have to make sure I play my 'price drop' card at the right time.

:rolleyes: Talk about welcome home... I was all set to sing my praises for Indy this weekend but I think I will put that on hold for now!

Are you people for real???? Where else can u get these problems????

Changing cabins - sorry, that's an induldgance ~ ok maybe created by the booking arrangements u.s. Wide, but really????!!!

Just a thought, but the title of this thread is UK Cruisers deposit increase, when the issue now appears to be more that we have to pay to secure a price drop. Perhaps a new thread with an appropriate title would increase the number of US users of CC looking and posting, and therefore increase pressure? Who knows, maybe the plan is for this to be the new policy in the US as well?

We have always booked for 2010 by now, but a combination of high prices and poor itineraries have put us off. Will now be waiting until much nearer the time and looking at all cruise lines.

Changing cabins - sorry, that's an induldgance ~ ok maybe created by the booking arrangements u.s. Wide, but really????!!!

Sorry Ken, but why is changing cabins an indulgence? If you have a particular deck and location in mind due to various reasons (proximity to the elevators for ease of mobility perhaps, midship to reduce the effect of motion etc) and when you book via RCI website not all available staterooms are shown (which they are not) but subsequently a more suitable one becomes available, why should you not be able to change?

Other cruise lines let you specify a particular cabin to see if it's available, RCI does not, nor does it list all the ones available.

When I book a hotel I will request a room that meets my requirements and in most cases, if I'm booking months in advance (which is what I'm doing with a cruise) my needs will be met.

I have cancelled or amended hotel reservations in the past to get a better room or a better rate for no extra fee (actually in the last month for a post cruise stay, saving £150 for a 5 night stay).

Sorry Ken, but why is changing cabins an indulgence? If you have a particular deck and location in mind due to various reasons (proximity to the elevators for ease of mobility perhaps, midship to reduce the effect of motion etc) and when you book via RCI website not all available staterooms are shown (which they are not) but subsequently a more suitable one becomes available, why should you not be able to change?

Other cruise lines let you specify a particular cabin to see if it's available, RCI does not, nor does it list all the ones available.

When I book a hotel I will request a room that meets my requirements and in most cases, if I'm booking months in advance (which is what I'm doing with a cruise) my needs will be met.

I have cancelled or amended hotel reservations in the past to get a better room or a better rate for no extra fee (actually in the last month for a post cruise stay, saving £150 for a 5 night stay).

Yep your spot on ........................

I use online direct bookings with Hotel chains, most allow a 2/4pm day of arrival cancel time without charge. At certain resort hotels they take a deposit off your Ccard, but allow a 2day before arrival to cancel without charge.........

I too have gained many price drops on rooms, or rebooked to a better room for a better deal. Most TA rates however are non refundable........

The words I have got back from RCL is that they are "tidying up the desk" and trying to make things "clearer for both PAX and TA`s"..........:eek:.

Also they say they are falling into line with other cruiselines in the market, which have had the higher deposits and rules some time now......ANY comments onthis as I only cruise RCL and Celebrity so dont know, my TA says its true:confused:...........

How do you find out about the price drops though?

Sorry, if that is a stupid question, but we bookied our first RCI cruise 14 months ago and got what we thought was a good price for a quad cabin from a TA.

At that time they were the only TA that could provide us wiith such a cabin, others said they had contacted RCI and none were available in such a peak time sailing. So, looking on the website showed no such cabins and even now (or very recently at least)only our TA seems to be advertising them. Where do these cabins come from?

How can we know we are paying the right price?

My usual MO is to book and then never check if the price has changed because with hotel/flights you would not get the price drop anyway,but if it is different with cruiselines then I would like to know how to find out.

No, I don't think being able to change your cabin is an indulgence. Many of the best most sought after cabins are not available when you book but later become free. Many are held for a long time by US cruisers who have changed their minds and TA's hold cabins for block bookings which they will release nearer sailing date when they can't sell them. If the cabin next door to mine became available and my kids were a few doors down I would request that they be moved nearer to us. What's wrong with that?

Why shouldn't you be able to switch if more suitable rooms later become available?

I think tbh though most UK cruisers just want some equality in the booking terms and conditions. There is nothing we can do about loosing our deposits if we cancel that is part and parcel of 'deposits' in the UK but a level playing field would be nice for price drops etc.

Archived