UK/Europe New Cancellation,Transfer Policy & Deposit Increase

are those the fees per booking or per person?

If I read it right it says you can have one minor change EACH for free and then it is either £35 or £75 EACH:eek: depending on whether the charge is minor or major. ..

There's also something about not charging the £35 if the change results in an increased fare..but looks like that doesn't apply to the major changes, they're going to be charged at £75 EACH :eek: regardless!!

Admin charge £35 for price drop :eek:

Admin charge £35 to change cabin :eek:

£75 to transfer to another sailing :eek:...they are having a laugh :mad::mad:

Come on, it's not that bad .....

£35 /person for the second and later price drops (bet there aren't any price drops until after 1 June!!!) or changes of cabin (and then only if the cabin is cheaper than that already booked).

Loss of 50% of deposit when moved to another ship or line up to time of full payment.

Sounds like RCI are trying to eliminate the hassle of small price drops and changes of cabin. I don't imagine for a minute that Plat/Diamond discounts or C&A coupons will be treated as anything other than legitimate RCI discounts which are not a change to the booking.

I know we don't get the same 'terms' as the cousins but we are considerably better off than our European neighbours and the rest of the world (who as far as I know don't get price drops at all!!!), plus RCI.uk has some excellent deals in pounds sterling which are very often cheaper than the dollar equivalents on US TA sites.

Just looks like some housekeeping in the terms and conditions department to me.

Cheers

Ken

We still dont know if C&A coupon would be considered price drop :confused:

If so, then bang would go free admin fee.

I am disgusted by the new policy and charges. :mad:

Liz I found the combine table and from 1st Jan 09 you cant have a C&A coupon discount with your Dia balcony discount, you have to choose one or the other.:eek:

O.k I now need to get on to my TA as price drops are still allowed I see with no charges pre 1st June. I think its who you talk to at RCL and get differing answers:confused:

For the first time, I was considering booking in the UK, for the Celebrity Equinox inaugural cruise.

I won't go into details, but RCCL UK are totally impossible. Refuse to put me through to a supervisor and then I left my number as she was at lunch at 3.00pm? Never called back!! Surprise surprise!! Great way to run a cruiseline!!

Left Celebrity in the US in the first place because of poor customer relations - looks like they have educated the UK staff!!! They wind you ip by spouting rubbish and then accuse you of raising your voice!! Well, if you don't have your listening ears on and won't transfer the call to a member of senior staff, its no wonder you get shouted at!!!!

My Travel Agent didn't get anywhere either. Cruise not booked up - I wonder why?:D:D:D

My advice to everyone - book in the US - not quite as hopeless as they are here and at least you don't lose your deposit - or pay for changes. Americans just wouldn't stand for it!!!

Unfortunately, as good as the ships are, the customer service lets the Company right down.

Anyway, cancelled the reservation!!! They can stick it up their jumper!!!

£35 /person for the second and later price drops (bet there aren't any price drops until after 1 June!!!) or changes of cabin (and then only if the cabin is cheaper than that already booked).

Loss of 50% of deposit when moved to another ship or line up to time of full payment.

Sounds like RCI are trying to eliminate the hassle of small price drops and changes of cabin. I don't imagine for a minute that Plat/Diamond discounts or C&A coupons will be treated as anything other than legitimate RCI discounts which are not a change to the booking.

I know we don't get the same 'terms' as the cousins but we are considerably better off than our European neighbours and the rest of the world (who as far as I know don't get price drops at all!!!), plus RCI.uk has some excellent deals in pounds sterling which are very often cheaper than the dollar equivalents on US TA sites.

Just looks like some housekeeping in the terms and conditions department to me.

Cheers

Ken

Ken as I read it if your minor amendment causes a decrease in price then the admin charge kicks in.

Yes it doesn`t seem as bad as firsts feared but watch out for the small print which my TA was sent last week, we are only reading guidelines here.......

Sounds like RCI are trying to eliminate the hassle of small price drops and changes of cabin. So why don't they charge in the US? Not much of a hassle - just press a few buttons on the 'puter!!!I don't imagine for a minute that Plat/Diamond discounts or C&A coupons will be treated as anything other than legitimate RCI discounts which are not a change to the booking.

I know we don't get the same 'terms' as the cousins but we are considerably better off than our European neighbours and the rest of the world (who as far as I know don't get price drops at all!!!), plus RCI.uk has some excellent deals in pounds sterling which are very often cheaper than the dollar equivalents on US TA sites.Not yet found any - sob sob!!!

Just looks like some housekeeping in the terms and conditions department to me.Except that the 'housekeeping' is costing the British customer!!!

Cheers

Ken

----

This whole thing is ridiculous, why do they think they should do this in Europe but still allow free price drops and changes in the US?

Liz, do you have contact details for anyone we can complain to? I know it probably won't do any good, but at least they would realise how angry we all are.

Julie

Admin charge £35 for price drop :eek:

Admin charge £35 to change cabin :eek:

£75 to transfer to another sailing :eek:...they are having a laugh :mad::mad:

Thanks Liz for all your work. Interesting that they say they allow a transfer to another sailing. We had to cancel a Feb 2008 sailing on Explorer that we booked onboard FOS in 2006 as they categorically would not allow us to transfer to another sailing.

may i enquire whether uk based cruisers can book their cruises via a U.S TA at all?
Oh yes, you certainly can. You are of course at the mercy of the currency fluctuations but we booked when the £ was 2 to the $. When it dropped through the floor a few months ago, we cancelled and got our full deposit back.

I am glad that it may not be as bad as first feared...

The only thing that I will say is that if it is a UK policy that the deposits are not refundable, it seems that the cruiseline is attempting to keep things down for you in that dept. even with the recent increase. We pay minimum $100/PP for a 5 night and fewer, $250/PP for a 9 night and 12 day itin's we pay $450/PP :eek:. NOW, that being said, it is refundable, so I see both sides. :(

I also think the other fees they are charging are ridiculous, but I always wondered how they let a pain in the arse like me change my cabin 5 times and never charge me. :p

Please know that I empathize with the hassle they are putting you through and just giving a bit of a different perspective, not minimizing the policies for the UK cruisers being difficult to deal with at best.

Oh yes we most certainly can use a US TA :D

Of my 4 cruises currently booked ..2 of them are booked with my US TA :D while the other 2 are booked wih RCCL UK.

I email my US TA or chat with her on Instant Message,also I have an internet phone which I can use for really cheap calls to USA for giving credit card details etc to my US TA. :D

Up until now I have split my bookings between UK & US but for future bookings due to this new policy I will be booking with US TA :D

Of course you will!! Any sane person would!! Who on earth is employed to run the British end of things? Sounds like one of our politicians:D:D

I am sure you will know who it is!!!

We still dont know if C&A coupon would be considered price drop :confused:

If so, then bang would go free admin fee.

I am disgusted by the new policy and charges. :mad:

Have you tried emailing the main man ?

jj.......

Have you tried emailing the main man ?

jj.......

Hello Coxy - how are yah doin' these days?

I see that RCCL is now playing the game of Rip off Britain!!

Anyone know the name of the idiot appointed to run the UK end of things? Has he/she heard of the word 'recession'? You don't annoy your best customers in this present economy!!! But I suppose if you have a cushy number with a large salary rolling in, you don't much care!!!

.......plus RCI.uk has some excellent deals in pounds sterling which are very often cheaper than the dollar equivalents on US TA sites.......

Cheers

Ken

Just to confirm what I wrote before, we have booked an E2 for a 5 night Canaries cruise out of Malaga - cost on RCI.uk is £879 total including taxes and gratuities compared to $1730 total including taxes but no gratuities on RCI.us. Either we are getting a damn good deal in the UK or RCI is still costing cruises at $2 to £1 ?????

Sorry to be upbeat!

Ken

We live in the USA and are Diamond Plus cruisers on Royal Caribbean. We have family that live in Swindon and they have sailed with us in the past. The "normal" deposit for us here for a 7 day cruise is $250 per person.

When we sailed as a family last October, we booked all our reservations here in the USA. The main reason is that we were celebrating my father's 95th anniversary and we decided that if we needed to cancel, we could get deposit refunds, plus cruise insurance here is quite inexpensive.

I believe RCCL is making all kinds of changes, deposits, Diamond memberships, removing of past guest benefits in their booklets, free tickets to Johnny Rockets etc. because they are in financial trouble because of Oasis and perhaps Allure, as well as the overall economy. I love their ships and my family enjoyed their Diamond benefits.

Now that we find the prices are higher, benefits reduced, we have felt that we needed to try other lines. My husband and I tried Carnival--granted, it's not RCCL, but the food is better albeit the decor is kind of garish, but the price/itinerary from here in Florida is far better.

I am not saying we won't go on RCCL again, but I feel all their changes are not helping them, in the long run they are hurting themselves. If the price is right, we would book them, but for now, itinerary and price far overshadow what RCCL has to offer. I guess we were spoiled by what RCCL offered us a Diamond Plus cruisers and what has been taken away. To me, keeping their long time cruisers would have been more important than trying to find new ones. Probably though, that's why I am not rich, lol. I don't think like they do.

I hope I am not hijacking your thread, but I wanted you to know it's not only the UK having problems with RCCL. Thanks for your time.

It seems as if RCCL are cutting off their leg !!!!!! one better than shooting themselves in the foot!!!! It will just make us NOT book in advance as there is no point unless you want a specific room, as with the current climate there will be plenty of rooms on the ships. When you book on line will they now show you more cabins how can you select when they only show you five? And normally it seems the ones they want to shift. Will look into using the US RCCL or other companies if that is more cost effective, as my phone calls to US are free.

We always read on these boards that ,they are read by RCCL ,when, for example the discussion is about smuggling alcohol.

This thread is so important as to how so many of us who are repeat customers of RCCL perceive we are being treated, and how our loyality is recognised.

I hope therefore RCCL is reading this thread. I hope they are taking on board the feelings of so many loyal UK and European customers.

Scottie.

(will be Diamond in 2 weeks time)

I have tried 7 times now to find words to post here...each time I delete them as I dont seem to be able to make sense but feel I have to attempt how I feel about RCCL UK at this moment.

Basically all I can say is...these new policies & charges stink.

I am disappointed that RCCL UK has changed the booking conditions.

I no longer wish to book with RCCL UK.

I am sad that RCCL UK has felt the need to do this to UK/Europe Cruisers.

I am disgusted with RCCL that yet again UK/Europe Cruisers get the short end of the stick.

Royal Caribbean you go on about your Nation of Why Not, well Why Not step up to the plate and treat all bookings the same way. This UK Cruiser is sick to death of being treated like a second class citizen by you!

End of rant :o

Totally agree with the above statement.

I have always been able to change cabins and even transfer a booking at no charge in the past with the UK but with these new booking conditions I will probably book in the US about 8 weeks out now instead of well in advance.

Just hope all my future cruises I already have booked come under the old rules!

Well if we aint getting price drops anymore..I will be doing my next booking with my US TA...to heck with this malarkey :mad:

I have fired off email to RCCL UK boss for clarification on the changes to the UK Booking Conditions.

Good luck - even a supervisor failed to call us back when we not only were ready to book the Eclipse, but the TA even had the debit card number ready!!

Their attitude towards the elderly and infirm STINKS!! I am 'phoning Help the Aged today to get advice on how to take this further!!! I believe there are disability laws!! How dare they allow an obvious junior member of staff (and if she isn't, she should be) to take ridiculous decisions.

First time I have dealt with the UK operation - not impressed AT ALL!!!!

However, as a Royal Champion, I am sure they will listen to you.:D:D We are elite on Celebrity and D+ on RCCL in just a few years - however, they are just not interested in any customer loyalty. This is American Corporation La La Land!!! Seems to be filtering here sadly!!

We started off with HAL, then Princess, then Celebrity and for the last couple of years, RCCL. Happy with the ship operations, but their customer service is the pits!!! We do like a change sometimes though, which is why I chose the Eclipse - gave Celebrity another try - as a shareholder I try to stay loyal!! My fall-out with Celebrity was when they tried to stiff me for $200 and were extremely rude about it!! The operator said "Why are you concerned about $200? You spend a fortune with us and can afford to write off $200!!" I replied "Well, its MY $200 not yours". The amusing thing was that we changed the reservation to RCCL on a far more expensive cruise - but there were massive price reductions on that one and it ended up at half the price of the Celebrity cruise!!! RCCL ended up the loser and we never went back to Celebrity!! Go figure!!!

Obviously, can't go Celebrity as they now refuse to give my extremely elderly Mum the facilities we need - so back to Princess and HAL when we need a change.

Also going to have a look at Costa & NCL in Europe. Brand new ships - how bad can it be? We like to eat salads in the buffet anyway pm- I am researching all this now.

Sad really, as we are happy with the operations on board - yes, things happen, but the staff are very nice usually. Lots of issues on the Voyager - but we had a great time as usual, which makes me think that we will be OK on Costa, NCL etc. as we are not demanding really.

Just out of interest, what would everyone do if RCCL's head office in Miami sent out a letter to all US TA's telling them that if they accepted bookings for UK or European passengers they would be struck off their list of 'preferred TA's'? That would essentially block all bookings being done by anyone outside the US except via street corner bucketshops, if any of those even existed.

Not saying they WOULD do it but that they COULD do it, it's their perogative to do whatever they please, afterall.

With all the crazy obstructions coming into being on June 1st, what is there to stop RCCL from stopping you from using the US TA aswell?

Just out of interest, what would everyone do if RCCL's head office in Miami sent out a letter to all US TA's telling them that if they accepted bookings for UK or European passengers they would be struck off their list of 'preferred TA's'? That would essentially block all bookings being done by anyone outside the US except via street corner bucketshops, if any of those even existed.

Not saying they WOULD do it but that they COULD do it, it's their perogative to do whatever they please, afterall.

With all the crazy obstructions coming into being on June 1st, what is there to stop RCCL from stopping you from using the US TA aswell?

Well, doesn't affect us, as we also live in the US.

IF they stopped that, certain powerful TA's in the US would lose quite a bit of business!!! They would also alienate many UK cruisers, although they don't seem to have a problem with doing that!!!

Pax would then transfer their allegiance to a cruiseline which did allow it!! No contest really!! They WOULD lose some business!!!

I think though, that this would create quite a few problems - Princess tries to do it, but it doesn't really work and causes them a lot of hassle!! After all, the internet has created a global community - the cruiselines have to live with that!!!

Archived